Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Revolver officially dead

mwx40x40

When I shoot, I’m ultimately competing against myself. To that end, PCC, Revo, Rimfire, etc., is just another challenge, overall placement be damned. I like the idea of pushing myself on a variety of platforms.  Add in the fact that revolvers still have a real world application—more so than super-finicky open pistols—so I say long live the category.  

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

If anyone is predicting the death of revolver shooting, I'd say that's a bit premature.  Years ago, the demise of propeller-driven airplanes was declared by some.  Yet they are still with us in great numbers.

There are factors that inspire shooters to compete with different kinds of guns.  Simply being competitive with other types of guns probably isn't a big factor for a true revolver lover.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The issue is that revolvers do not perform as well with better fuel consumption at low altitude than race guns :roflol:

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

And, they're NOT one tenth the price, either    :) 

and given how big the high bypass blades  are getting....

you could make a case that propellers are making a reappearance. 

I don't have a revolver. 

If I felt a round gun was some how better than the bottom feeder I have,

I would consider getting one.

miranda

and given how big the high bypass blades  are getting....
you could make a case that propellers are making a reappearance. 

I don't have a revolver. 
If I felt a round gun was some how better than the bottom feeder I have,
I would consider getting one.

miranda

Any time there’s a discussion about revolver competition and some one says “revolvers aren’t better” i ask “better for what?” This is USPSA. It’s a game. None of the guns being shot are carry pieces, even in production. That’s what idpa is for, theoretically. It’s like saying a race car is better than a truck. They both have applications.
Revolvers are fun to shoot and more challenging. They aren’t intended to compete against semi autos.
I usually shoot revolver, which means I’m competing against myself. When I shoot a semi auto at my local matches i usually place in the top five. Shooting revolver has made me a MUCH better shooter.
So, i guess revolver is better in that sense. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooting revolver in USPSA is only slightly more fun than getting kicked in the nuts  

I take it you don’t golf then? Shooting revolver is a lot like golfing. The equipment for golf is not very efficient for accomplishing the goal. Getting the ball down the course and into the hole as few as strokes as possible. There are so many changes you could make to golf equipment to make them do that better. But all of those changes have been outlawed by usga. So you end up using equipment that is harder to use and people still love the displays of athleticism involved to accomplish the goals of the game.

Revolver is similar. Sure there is equipment out there that can shoot faster and with fewer reloads. But that doesn’t make it any less fun.

Actually I am classified in revolver and have been hit in the nuts, so I know what I am talking about.  Golf, never heard of her

There are two ways to suck the fun out of action shooting, IDPA and revolver

Someone posted about area 8 having a big revolver turnout and the listed the numbers, about 3 percent,  it is pretty much dead.  It is the third oldest division, and has by far the least participation, hell, even l10 puts it on the trailer (that is a racing reference, cause I don't golf)

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Shooting revolver in USPSA is only slightly more fun than getting kicked in the nuts

I will remember to tell Mr. Open STI 38 Super hot major double stack honcho dude stuck on my squad  when his finely tuned auto-loader jams mid-stage that I haven't had this much fun since my last kick in the nutz.

15 minutes ago, firewood said:

I will remember to tell Mr. Open STI 38 Super hot major double stack honcho dude stuck on my squad  when his finely tuned auto-loader jams mid-stage that I haven't had this much fun since my last kick in the nutz.

Even with a death jam he will still out place the 1 revolver at the match by 32.61 seconds and triple the hit factor:roflol:

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Actually I am classified in revolver and have been hit in the nuts, so I know what I am talking about.  

Just out of curiosity, what is your classification in Revolver in uspsa? How many uspsa matches have you shot with a revolver? 

Just now, MWP said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your classification in Revolver in uspsa? How many uspsa matches have you shot with a revolver? 

Just a crappy B class, and too damn many.  Used to shoot some little indoor knock off USPSA matches too.  Even shot 3 gun with a revolver, pump, and garand once,  I think I had brain damage at the time, no other logical reason for the self induced punishment:D

1 minute ago, RJH said:

Just a crappy B class, and too damn many.  Used to shoot some little indoor knock off USPSA matches too.  Even shot 3 gun with a revolver, pump, and garand once,  I think I had brain damage at the time, no other logical reason for the self induced punishment:D

Ah. Knockoff matches. Love those.

Uspsa must have forgot to enter those, or any, revolver classifiers for you. 

2 minutes ago, MWP said:

Ah. Knockoff matches. Love those.

Uspsa must have forgot to enter those, or any, revolver classifiers for you. 

Actually USPSA has 11 classifiers listed for me in revolver, I just looked.  I did those plus several knock off matches and even a couple of USPSA matches that didn't have classifiers. So I guess you don't know how to look stuff up.  Being a diehard revolver guy maybe the internet is not your friend.  Ask your grand kid for help, he will be able to find it:roflol:

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

Actually USPSA has 11 classifiers listed for me in revolver, I just looked.  I did those plus several knock off matches and even a couple of USPSA matches that didn't have classifiers. So I guess you don't know how to look stuff up.  Being a diehard revolver guy maybe the internet is not your friend.  Ask your grand kid for help, he will be able to find it:roflol:

All better. Little Johnny found it for me. 

Have you tried an 8 shot gun? Makes the game so much more enjoyable. 

4 minutes ago, MWP said:

All better. Little Johnny found it for me. 

Have you tried an 8 shot gun? Makes the game so much more enjoyable. 

I have not.  I actually considered it (brain damage flaring up) but the lack of any competition, the high cost of entry , and the lack of competition kills it for me.  I just went to back to limited, that is by far the biggest division in my area and will probably stay there

3 minutes ago, firewood said:

Tell me, did you find it difficult to get used to wearing a crash helmet all day long? 

It was uncomfortable but when the doctor found out I was shooting revolver he new the cure was literally any other division, and the discomfort, helmet, and revolver all went away the same day

1 minute ago, RJH said:

It was uncomfortable but when the doctor found out I was shooting revolver he new the cure was literally any other division, and the discomfort, helmet, and revolver all went away the same day

And yet here you are, trying to save fallen humanity from itself and it's wicked ways. I don't know where any one single individual comes up with the strength of heart. 

4 minutes ago, firewood said:

And yet here you are, trying to save fallen humanity from itself and it's wicked ways. I don't know where any one single individual comes up with the strength of heart. 

Actually that is not me, the OP asked if revolver was dead and I said it was in a funny manner.  Y'all necromancers keep hanging on, but it is time to let it go.....let it go.......

5 hours ago, radny97 said:

Any time there’s a discussion about revolver competition and some one says “revolvers aren’t better” i ask “better for what?” This is USPSA. It’s a game. None of the guns being shot are carry pieces, even in production. That’s what idpa is for, theoretically. It’s like saying a race car is better than a truck. They both have applications.
Revolvers are fun to shoot and more challenging. They aren’t intended to compete against semi autos.
I usually shoot revolver, which means I’m competing against myself. When I shoot a semi auto at my local matches i usually place in the top five. Shooting revolver has made me a MUCH better shooter.
So, i guess revolver is better in that sense. :)

the air got sucked outta the room....

I am very fond of railroad Steam engines and I think that we are better off with the diesel electrics.

Those diesels are booooooooooooooooring.

I do not have a love of revolvers and I like gizmos so I should want a revolver.

I have to state here that I do not think revolvers will disappear.

they may not survive in competitions simply because the rules

do not favor their use.  

miranda