Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Revolver officially dead

mwx40x40

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Steel probably isn't the best way to judge turnout, most steel matches I've been to guys shoot 2 or 3 divisions each. If they had to pick one division I'd bet revolver turn out would drop.

Locally, at in USPSA a 100 shooter club match will probably have 2 guys shooting revolver. If more people shot that division I'd consider it again. But as of now I don't see myself ever shooting a wheel gun in a match again.

You are correct in that many of the revo shooters shoot other guns. It seems that many around here that shoot revolvers cannot resist shooting at steel and if a choice has to be made; shoot steel or something else on the same day, steel wins. Lower Providence outside of Philli held an ICORE match same day as the steel league opener and I'm certain attendance at the ICORE event suffered because of the scheduling conflict.  I think the point I wish to make is that there are revolver shooters out there and the other thing is personally I want to have fun. True I want to see improvement in my scores and as a revo newb I'm moving in the right direction.....slowly. I think it would be good for me to shoot other things than steel if I want to get good at the gun though. I do think it's a shame that there isn't more revolver participation.

4 hours ago, firewood said:

You are correct in that many of the revo shooters shoot other guns. It seems that many around here that shoot revolvers cannot resist shooting at steel and if a choice has to be made; shoot steel or something else on the same day, steel wins. Lower Providence outside of Philli held an ICORE match same day as the steel league opener and I'm certain attendance at the ICORE event suffered because of the scheduling conflict.  I think the point I wish to make is that there are revolver shooters out there and the other thing is personally I want to have fun. True I want to see improvement in my scores and as a revo newb I'm moving in the right direction.....slowly. I think it would be good for me to shoot other things than steel if I want to get good at the gun though. I do think it's a shame that there isn't more revolver participation.

There certainly are a lot of revolvers in that area. The Area 8 championship has 15 revolvers registered out of 547 shooters. That is one of the best revolver turn outs I've seen.

For the last 5 years I have almost exclusively shot a revolver at the matches I go to, and that is about 50 matches a year. 12 to 15 of them are Icore, at least 30 of them are USPSA, and the others are so type of steel matches along with a few outlaw [hosefest] type matches. At some of these I may be the only wheelgun there, some there may be 3-6 others, an yet others there may be 30. Now the higher amount of revo shooters are at the steel matches and of course the ICORE ones. But the thing I am trying to get at is I [me ] enjoy shooting my revolvers, I am not going to make a living at shooting and in fact most of you out there are better shooters than I am. I do this because it's fun, and I try to push myself to get better. Now some may say that I am not being very competitive with this approach, but I don't think that that is true. You beat me by 10 min. this time but next time if I try hard or practice more it may only be 9 min. As I look back at all of these matches that I have shot at I may not have been first but I have NEVER been last and that is a lot of bottom feeders that I have done better than. So is revolver dead, not for me, I have way too much fun with it.

I need to figure out a better way to carry shotgun ammo but I plan on shooting 3gun with a revolver this year, of the few 3gun matches I plan on shooting. Also I need to put a strap around my one holster for better retention. I did shoot a couple 3gun matches last year with it and won.

Trying to get a local club set up for ICORE but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it. The one club I want to use doesn't have the outdoor facilities set up for it and doesn't like events, but there is another one that is eager to have an action shoot but only has a 25 yard indoor, which would be perfect for the winter time.

11 hours ago, mchapman said:

For the last 5 years I have almost exclusively shot a revolver at the matches I go to, and that is about 50 matches a year. 12 to 15 of them are Icore, at least 30 of them are USPSA, and the others are so type of steel matches along with a few outlaw [hosefest] type matches. At some of these I may be the only wheelgun there, some there may be 3-6 others, an yet others there may be 30. Now the higher amount of revo shooters are at the steel matches and of course the ICORE ones. But the thing I am trying to get at is I [me ] enjoy shooting my revolvers, I am not going to make a living at shooting and in fact most of you out there are better shooters than I am. I do this because it's fun, and I try to push myself to get better. Now some may say that I am not being very competitive with this approach, but I don't think that that is true. You beat me by 10 min. this time but next time if I try hard or practice more it may only be 9 min. As I look back at all of these matches that I have shot at I may not have been first but I have NEVER been last and that is a lot of bottom feeders that I have done better than. So is revolver dead, not for me, I have way too much fun with it.

Puts me in mind of the Post-It notepad commercial where a girl is trying out for a basketball team. She jumps and touches the backboad leaving a post-it upon which she's written, "Tomorrow I'll jump even higher."

Good on ya!

On 4/17/2018 at 6:40 AM, StuckinMS said:

We have 4 guys at our local matches that are regulars at revolver.  It looks fun actually,  I just can't fund one.  

Bet if you asked all 4 would have a way to help you get through a match.

Revolver competitors have a tendency to loan out their best and shoot their back up, all you have to do is ask.

Kind of like any good pusher, you just have to give out a taste.

9 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Bet if you asked all 4 would have a way to help you get through a match.

Revolver competitors have a tendency to loan out their best and shoot their back up, all you have to do is ask.

Kind of like any good pusher, you just have to give out a taste.

Lol that's right.  They are all the best and very knowledgeable about gear, no matter the division. 

Being I live and compete in the prison state of NY, I can tell you that the magazine restriction hasn't added to the number of revolver shooters signing up to shoot at the matches I attend.

The 10 round Mag capacity restriction has no effect on revolver round capacity. Semi auto's only.

I think the mag ban has made Single stack shooter numbers grow more.

The only way to get most of the bottom feeder shooters to even touch a revolver, is to ban all semi auto's.

Even then, some would rather quit shooting then touch a revolver !

3 hours ago, BadShot said:

In the states that are limited to 10 round mags, are revolvers more popular?

My experience in Kalifornia says that there’s very few revolver shooters around these parts.  You’re either a revolver guy or you’re not a revolver guy. 

I know it's been said before, but Area 8 is strong in revolver. This weekend 9 out of 165 shooters at Ontelaunee were revolver. About another 10 were shooting the Pa. Steel League, but are usual ICORE participants, with a few of them shooting USPSA from time to time. There are at least 8 more revolver shooters I can think of that did not attend either match.

My favorite parts of the matches is the amount of guys that come up and ask questions because they keep thinking about trying revolver. Most may never buy one, but it's still fun being the unique crowd that draws attention for how few of us there really are.

2 hours ago, ihocky2 said:

I know it's been said before, but Area 8 is strong in revolver. This weekend 9 out of 165 shooters at Ontelaunee were revolver. About another 10 were shooting the Pa. Steel League, but are usual ICORE participants, with a few of them shooting USPSA from time to time. There are at least 8 more revolver shooters I can think of that did not attend either match.

My favorite parts of the matches is the amount of guys that come up and ask questions because they keep thinking about trying revolver. Most may never buy one, but it's still fun being the unique crowd that draws attention for how few of us there really are.

At either match Sunday was a beautiful day to be out shooting a wheelgun!

In USPSA, the best Revo  shooter on his best day can't go toe to toe with a PCC on a field course and win  --- some of those PEW PEW machines  have 50 rounds:  many courses are designed ( or appear to be) to allow the savvy shooter to find one or two spots and hose the whole field.  A good revo shooter can be "competitive" in classifiers, but even then no draw or turn and draw for a PCC...

If I was new and wanted to be fast I'd go with a PCC or a carry optics 9mm with a 23 round mag-- three matches and you look pretty good-- Against all the bling revolvers are pretty boring and a lot more work...

USPSA revolver will never grow, IMO

Jason

On 4/18/2018 at 6:51 PM, PatJones said:
On 4/18/2018 at 5:09 PM, Mcfoto said:

Gee, I thought the thread was about revolvers... which we're all going to be shooting if the gun grabbers get their way...

No 8 shot revos in New York. You'll have to shoot major.

Not correct.

8 shot revolvers are fine in NY.

16 hours ago, Makicjf said:

If I was new and wanted to be fast I'd go with a PCC or a carry optics 9mm with a 23 round mag-- three matches and you look pretty good-- Against all the bling revolvers are pretty boring and a lot more work...

USPSA revolver will never grow, IMO

You are probably correct sorry  to say.

I'm certainly not the first to experience this but I have shoot 2 steel league matches so far this year with 2 guns, my revo and an open rimfire pistol that I cobbled together over the winter. With the rimfire gun I have shot maybe 500 rounds prior and all at paper targets trying to get the dot sighted in and to determine what ammo will work before my first steel match.

So without any real practice or instruction I easily take off 20 seconds off my revo score and I cannot blame reloads for the times because there are none on a 5 target string. It's so strange for me to see my final scores for a 5 stage steel match in the 60 second range rimfire with no training and being happy as a clam when I shoot the same cof in the mid 80 second range with a revolver, this after 3 years of hard work!

If you want to go fast sure, don't shoot revo. Revo is about a challenge, not the lowest overall time. 

And there are plenty of new PCC shooters who get embarrassed by revolvers. Having a dot and 50 rounds doesn't instantly mean you'll be at the top of the game itself. 

Revolver has never, ever been competitive with any of the auto divisions. It's just not possible. But that doesn't mean it will die. Unfortunately this year will be a low turnout at nationals given to the fact that there are 2 other divisions that day- but I'll be there, and I hope all of you will too. 

If anyone is predicting the death of revolver shooting, I'd say that's a bit premature.  Years ago, the demise of propeller-driven airplanes was declared by some.  Yet they are still with us in great numbers.

There are factors that inspire shooters to compete with different kinds of guns.  Simply being competitive with other types of guns probably isn't a big factor for a true revolver lover.

26 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

If anyone is predicting the death of revolver shooting, I'd say that's a bit premature.  Years ago, the demise of propeller-driven airplanes was declared by some.  Yet they are still with us in great numbers.

There are factors that inspire shooters to compete with different kinds of guns.  Simply being competitive with other types of guns probably isn't a big factor for a true revolver lover.

The issue is that revolvers do not perform as well with better fuel consumption at low altitude than race guns :roflol: