Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Revolver officially dead

mwx40x40

Granted I have not shot revolver in a couple of years, but I find it pretty sad that Area 6 had 407 shooters and only 1 revolver entry. Without a stand alone Revolver Nats as in the past with SS, I am assuming numbers will be way down.

Any other thoughts out there on the future for round gunning?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Occasionally I think about getting back to shooting revolver.  Then I think better of it because there is nobody shooying revo in my area.  I can't remember the last time I saw one at a match.  

I'd have to buy one now as I sold my 627PC a couple years ago.  That is also helping me to not get back to revo division. 

23 minutes ago, MWP said:

It's alive and well for me. 

6 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

Same here.  Every match I shoot in 2018 will be with a round gun, and I signed up for more major matches this year than ever before. 

Same. I actually inspired 2 other regulars to shoot revolver with me, one went out and bought one. Convinced a guy to shoot revolver at a match last month too. Everywhere I go people are fascinated by my gun and clap after I finish a stage. They're always coming up to me asking questions and talking about it. Maybe the rest of you guys are just doing it wrong.

It's all that I shoot.
I am shooting area 5, 8 and Nationals.
I have got one friend shooting it now and maybe another one soon.

I shoot them plus autos but just because I shoot them bad doesn’t deter me . Wheel guns are fun [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received a message from Mark Chapman regarding the 2018 Southwestern Regional ICORE match, over 125 shooters have signed up.  It is certainly not dead where you have a club that set's up challenging and enjoyable matches. 

I think most people who shoot revolver do it for the love of shooting and also for the challenge of shooting a wheel gun. If you want to shoot a wheel gun, shoot it. Who cares how many people signed up for this match or that match. And if you want to really challenge yourself, challenge yourself to beat friends of yours with a wheelgun who are pretty good SS or Production shooters. 

I've given up on shooting centerfire revolvers do to health but I still love getting out with my Smith & Wesson 617 in .22.  I shot my best match so far using my revolver instead of my .22 autos.  It's great to beat a few of the guys with my Smith compared to their race guns.

I don't care what others do or say.

I shoot revolvers because I like how they look, like shooting them and will probably shoot them till I die, regardless if anyone else is shooting them.

I just got back into shooting/competing in steel challenge with my 617 22lr and am happier than a pig in poop.

I'm all revolver for 2018 and wouldn't have it any other way.

All revo here too. This is my 2nd straight year all revo. Haven't shot a centerfire auto in almost 3 years and only shoot the rimfire autos in a few matches a year. I like the challenge. At the local club where I shoot, last month there were twice as many revos as usual. 2!

Nope. Not dead.

You guys better get on board before all the good revos are gone!! :P

It's alive and well for me too ! I started shooting revolvers last year at this time in the REV class in local IDPA matches . I signed up for a tier 2 IDPA match last summer to shoot REV and finished 3rd out of 7 in my class. I haven't picked up a another pistol to shoot a match with since then and I am now hooked on revolvers but good . There is at the most two other revolvers shooting local matches with me but most of the time it's just me . I'm not the fastest but it's not unusual for me to finish most accurate . The only way I'll get faster is to stick with it so that's what I plan to do .This year I've signed up for a Tier 2 and a Tier 3  match and I plan to shoot both with a revolver.

As a newb, it looks to me like classic 6-shot is dead, even in ICORE. We have a hand-full of dedicated revolver shooters at our matches and enough who shoot both to field a modest 1-squad ICORE match. Only one other guy and me shoot Classic and we are usually at the bottom of the tally board. Those 8 round arrays just make standing reloads mandatory. I've given up on the notion of shooting revolver in USPSA even if I get an 8 banger. My head can't seem to slice the stages in reloads of less than 10.

I still take my 66 out to the range weekly and shoot El Prez-like courses. Kind of wishing someone would organize a competition around something like that.

After a couple of years off with only a minimal amount of Revolver shooting, I decided to pick it back up. I'm currently signed up for the ICORE SW, NW, and IRC, and planning on shooting 2 divisions at each. I own 3 competition revolvers, a 627 PC (LTD), 627 V-Comp (Open), and just found a 686-6 (LTD 6).

The reason I think most guys who have them don't shoot them, is they hate finishing in the middle of the pack at their local club matches. But, I look at it as how many bottom feeders did I beat. It's a challenge to shoot a revolver well, but I believe it helps make you a better shooter.

I still love the challenge of shooting revolver and don't see that changing any time soon. I have some arthritis in my strong hand that might change that in a few years.

We lost a lot of revolver shooters when the 8 shot rule came into effect but after a year we had several shooters try revolver and things were back to the way they were before the rule change and maybe even better in some areas. Locally I have seen PCC and CO take some of these shooters and revolver is down again. To be fair PCC and CO is taking shooters from several divisions not just revolver.

Edited by jhgtyre
Edited by moderator

I enjoy shooting the revolver in IDPA or ICORE (Classic) and even Steel Challenge as it makes me focus a bit more than when running your normal bottom feeder.

Steel Challenge is where your accuracy takes over instead of volume.

The added fun in beating some of your buddies and telling them they got burned by the old guy with the revolver is icing on the cake!

AD (strictly 6 shot for me, thank you)

I'm registered for area 3 and the Colorado State match in revo this year. I expect I'll get an email from both match directors just before the match.

Is it dead? I dunno, but I feel like I missed out on the good old days.

At 73 years of age, I've ALMOST given up on black powder .    :huh:

There's nothing quite as thrilling as the smell of black powder in the chilled

morning air, and the pungent smoke twirling around my head after each shot.

And, now that they've invented 6-shot revolvers, it's even more fun  ....    :P