Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lee Auto Breech Shipping

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BelRiose,

I've been using the Auto Breech Lock Pro for three months now.  It's not too shabby, and if you are loading plated or jacked bullets, the four stations will do you justice.  However, if you load powder coated bullets, the lee powder thru expander doesn't get the job done.  In that case, I recommend resizing and priming on the ABLP first (it's goes fast), and then use a Lyman "M" die at station 1, the Lee Auto Drum on station 2 (with the short charging die, it will work for pistol), seat at station 3, and crimp station 4.

On 3/29/2020 at 8:17 PM, CGR1979 said:

BelRiose,

I've been using the Auto Breech Lock Pro for three months now.  It's not too shabby, and if you are loading plated or jacked bullets, the four stations will do you justice.  However, if you load powder coated bullets, the lee powder thru expander doesn't get the job done.  In that case, I recommend resizing and priming on the ABLP first (it's goes fast), and then use a Lyman "M" die at station 1, the Lee Auto Drum on station 2 (with the short charging die, it will work for pistol), seat at station 3, and crimp station 4.

I'm a novice reloader. Can you explain why the powder thru expander is unsat for coated bullets?

BelRiose,

In my experience, it doesn't flare the case enough to seat the bullet without scraping off the coating or without flaring the case so much that you shave brass during the seating process.  Even with heavy lubrication of the cases, which does help to prevent this, results were inconsistent.  It's really only an issue if you are shooting coated bullets out of Glocks or firearms with similar rifling.  It's a pain in the butt to clean lead out of a barrel, but not terribly hard.  I just rather avoid the problem to began with.

I'll add that I've only been reloading for about 5 years, so there maybe a seasoned "Lee" reloader out there that can chime in and provide a solution to this issue, utilizing the Lee expander.  Anymore questions, feel free to send them my way.

• 2 months later...

Old thread, I know.  I've been using the ABLP for about 6 months now, for both 9mm and .40.  I have had problems with the primer feed so I prime by hand.  I recently purchased a Lee Load Master and have moved my 9mm reloading to that press, and only load .40 on the ABLP.  That said, I have had no problems loading coated bullets in either caliber in the ABLP, using coated bullets (Blue bullets).  Adjustment is key, but not difficult.  I've been loading for several decades now, and have been using Lee products for a long while, as well as most other brands.  I have presses from Blue, Red, Orange, Green and pretty much everyone else.  They can all be very good, and any of them can have a problem or two.  But I do like the ABLP and Loadmaster.  Properly adjusted either one will spit out good ammo with little effort.

I 've never had a problem with Blue Bullets either.  For 9mm the bell on my cases is 0.01-0.012. over the measurement of a sized case. Crimped they measure .378.

Ben53, you probably already have this but I'll post it just in case. Lee came out with a 3rd generation Safety Prime that is gray. They did it mostly because of the ABLP having problems with the older Safety Prime. Picture of the newest one on the left.  

pTuuSZI.jpg

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/12/2020 at 5:34 PM, Ben53 said:

DRock, thanks for the picture and info about the update.  Unfortunately, I think I have the newest one as it looks just like the one on the left.

DRock, After working with this press for a few months, I'm in the same boat. I'd love it if there were a different priming system. I just can't make the Safety Prime hit the right spot consistently.

I'm wondering if the mount for the Auto Prime that attaches to the press has any wiggle room. I don't own the ABLP but on the Classic Turret you can adjust the placement of the mount that screws onto the press a little. With the newer Auto Prime you want the rails on the bottom to slide easily over the primer arm. 

Dave

Edited by DRock
picture

On 10/31/2020 at 11:09 AM, DRock said:

I'm wondering if the mount for the Auto Prime that attaches to the press has any wiggle room. I don't own the ABLP but on the Classic Turret you can adjust the placement of the mount that screws onto the press a little. With the newer Auto Prime you want the rails on the bottom to slide easily over the primer arm. 

Dave

It seems to me that the issue is the play between the plastic tabs on the Safety Prime itself and the plastic on the mount. It just doesn't allow for consistent primer placement in the primer cup.