Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sp-01 shadow woes

John92awd

Hey there, I have a small problem with my shadow. If I pull the DA slowly, the hammer will not fall, upon further inspection the sear does not lift high enough and thats what is holding it back. the Hammer travels rearwards just far enough to set the sa claws. If I manually and slowly pull the hammer back, there is interference between the hammer and sear in both DA and SA. It seems like the sear never lifts high enough. the trigger is hitting against the frame (most rearward position) and if i wiggle the trigger or safety, the hammer will fall.

A little history on the gun itself: Bought it used with supposedly low (1000) roundcount and I have put ~15k rounds on it plus tons of dryfire

-85C trigger - No overtravel screw (it fell out)

-11.5lb mainspring (tried 13lb as well)

-11lb recoil spring (tried 13lb as well)

-light deburing / polishing

-grips and sights

Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks! John.

Did you see if the screw that holds down the mag release and trigger bar springs is secure? Did you check to see if both legs of the trigger bar spring is sitting underneath the trigger bar properly?

5 minutes ago, John92awd said:

I just went and checked after reading your post. The screw is tight and both legs of the spring are riding in the lower groves of the trigger bar.

thanks

Does the sear spring look intact?

29 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

Does the sear spring look intact?

went and checked again to be sure. sear spring is good.

Maybe I should add that this has been an on going issue for a while. I have dissassembled and cleaned the pistol a few times to try to fix it. Polished the face of the disco wings a while back with 1500 grit (did not remove any metal though)

1 minute ago, John92awd said:

went and checked again to be sure. sear spring is good.

Maybe I should add that this has been an on going issue for a while. I have dissassembled and cleaned the pistol a few times to try to fix it. Polished the face of the disco wings a while back with 1500 grit (did not remove any metal though)

How do you determine if the spring tension of the trigger bar spring is good?

5 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

How do you determine if the spring tension of the trigger bar spring is good?

Im not really sure of a propper way to test. If I un-hook it from the trigger bar grove, both sides will extend about 1/4" upwards. when properly installed, it takes a decent amount of force to compress the trigger bar downwards. seems okay to me...

Would this affect the sear travel? You suspect its hitting too low on the sear?

Edited by John92awd

7 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Does it look like the prior owner filed on any of the sear surfaces? You may want to try a new sear.

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/255222-picture-guide-to-sear-modification/

Do you have speculation as to what part of the sear could cause this travel reduction?

I just want to figure out what makes this thing tick. going to check sear now

Okay, I looked at the sear. The leg of the sear witch is acted upon by the trigger bar is rough. it is hard to tell if it is tooling marks or grinding marks from the previous owner.

I think I will source a new sear and likely install a pre-b disconnector while I am placing the order

Edited by John92awd
spelling

14 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

You might need a new hammer and an adjustable sear.  

You mean because of the damage done by the hook/sear catching? 

I can't put aftermarket parts in for ipsc production so the adjustable sear is a no go

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, sear is taking a while to come in, Should be here any day now though.

However.... I think this may be caused by sear cage movement. There is a lot on this gun, I notice if I manually hold the sear cage forward, the sear lifts much higher. I may try the modified hammer pin trick I have found on the cz forum. Is there any other way to help it? It seems the cause is the safety is too loose in the frame? Has anyone tried replacing the safety (are some slightly smaller)? 

The only other option that i am aware of to stabilize the sear cage is shimming the sides. This can be a bit faster than making a replacement #19 Hammer Pin Retaining Pin but it can be more fiddley if you need to remove the sear cage again. The up side with the replacement #19 HPRP option is that once the replacement pin is fit to the pistol it can be removed and replaced without issue.

I would install the new sear first and see where you are at.

Edited by Tok36

In case you are wondering what Tok36 is talking about...  with the extendo #19 hammer pin pin.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85892.0

Don't know if it will help you but it surely helped me when my hammer was still so slightly "camming" even with the gourmet CGW parts in it.   

Thanks again Tok36! : )  You are my hero!

Edited by Sniperboy

On 5/11/2018 at 7:21 AM, John92awd said:

I made the #19 pin as I was waiting for the sear. This fixed the problem. Sear lifts way higher and more consistent, trigger feels better also. I now have the sear but not sure if it's necessary to use it

I would closely inspect your sear for wear and compare it to your replacement sear. It seams plausible that a worn sear could have contributed to your orignal issue. A worn sear can give rise to other issues as well.

I am interested to hear from other forum members who have more experience with high round count CZs.

• 1 year later...

Came upon this when searching sp01 recoil springs...

For what it's worth, my shadow sp01 has the same issue, if I intentionally pull DA very slowly, particularly if pulling towards left, it doesn't release the hammer unless I wiggle the trigger to the right. I had some rough polishing done that could've affected the sear.

But under normal range time/dry firing, pulling DA "normally" and decisively I've never encountered that issue.