Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alpha Delta Basepad

SlvrDragon50

Just my opinion here, but there is really no need for magazine extensions for the rifle, especially ones of that shape and style. There's two parts to that thought process.

First, as many matches as I've shot I can't recall a time that I needed more than 40rds but less than 45rds. Meaning that a baseplate wouldn't have save me a reload where as a d60 which is legal in most tac ops rule sets would have. Normal pmags are very cheap, around $15 normally which is substantially less than most baseplates. Just buy one or two of each 20, 30, and 40rd mags and save the rest that you would have spend on baseplates for a d60. 

Second, baseplate that are metal and smooth like that are slick. Furthermore the curvature of that mag makes it so that you get very little contact when you go prone, and as already discussed the contact you get offers less than ideal grip. To correct that angle for going prone I use magpul ranger plates, they are like $3/each. Ranger plates correct that angle issue and are made of rubber so you get good grip when you go prone with them, they offer a much more stable position. The other option that accomplishes the same goal if you feel like you still NEED extensions is the new taylor freelance tmag baseplates. They are the same angle as ranger plates, add 2rds to the mag, have actual grip on the bottom, and can be used to couple mags together. I use a set of them on my 20rd mags since most conventional couplers don't work on 20rd mags.

2 hours ago, ecn515 said:

Just my opinion here, but there is really no need for magazine extensions for the rifle, especially ones of that shape and style. There's two parts to that thought process.

It's all about the coolness factor.  I have TTI bases on my 30 rounders.  Most matches around my area have adopted the former FNH 3G rules that state no more than 30 rounds per magazine regardless of length.  The base makes reloading easier when there is a round in the chamber because the base adds +5 to capacity.  I don't know anything about the bases the OP posted but they look nice.  

4 minutes ago, poortrader said:

It's all about the coolness factor.  I have TTI bases on my 30 rounders.  Most matches around my area have adopted the former FNH 3G rules that state no more than 30 rounds per magazine regardless of length.  The base makes reloading easier when there is a round in the chamber because the base adds +5 to capacity.  I don't know anything about the bases the OP posted but they look nice.  

I get that a magazine with less tension on the top round is easier to seat, but with that in mind why not just use a 40rd mag loaded to 30 if length isn't a concern. It's a much cheaper option...

I've been in situations where the extra 6 rounds from a TTI base has allowed me to change mags in a much better place than a standard 40 would have. Just a thought. 

Another option that I'd like to test for prone stability in the near future:http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=231

20 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I've been in situations where the extra 6 rounds from a TTI base has allowed me to change mags in a much better place than a standard 40 would have. Just a thought. 

Another option that I'd like to test for prone stability in the near future:http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=231

That's the other baseplate I was considering. PK's review of it looked fantastic.

42 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I mentioned those baseplates in my first post on this thread. I have two sets of them, they're great. Alot cheaper than some of the other options out there and much better for prone than any of the other extensions I've seen or used. Again, also usefull to coupling 20rd mags as most other options don't work on mags that short. 

Edited by ecn515

I have am a fan of basepads for two reasons:  1) it allows me to run a magazine in between the length of a 30 and a 40 for prone. 2) The added weight makes an empty mag drop quicker. 

There's been plenty of times where I have shot a 28-30 round stage where a couple extra rounds is helpful, but running a 40 adds too much length and either makes prone more difficult (I'm a shorter guy) or makes dumping it in a barrel just a hair riskier.

D60's are not legal at all matches btw.