Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC red dot. Which one?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked my original Holosun 510C so much that when I decided to do an offset, I just bought another. Been very happy with them both. I started with the reticle +dot as a form of "training wheels" to transition faster and recognize when my sight picture was right, then switched to just the dot in an effort to increase my accuracy. So far it has worked well.

G9 PCC w Flag.jpg

I have 3 of the 510c sights, two on PCC's and one on an AR 5.56 "pistol".   My son also has 3 of these sights.  All 6 are rock solid and as noted above,  they are hard to beat for size , glass clarity, weight and cost.   Right now I would not use anything else.   I'm a big fan of Vortex and have a couple of Venom's and a couple of their 30mm rifle scopes but the AMG UH-1 is too big & heavy for my needs and looking through the glass it is very grainy whereas the 510 is crisp.   Just my 2C.

1 hour ago, LtdShooter said:

I have 3 of the 510c sights, two on PCC's and one on an AR 5.56 "pistol".   My son also has 3 of these sights.  All 6 are rock solid and as noted above,  they are hard to beat for size , glass clarity, weight and cost.   Right now I would not use anything else.   I'm a big fan of Vortex and have a couple of Venom's and a couple of their 30mm rifle scopes but the AMG UH-1 is too big & heavy for my needs and looking through the glass it is very grainy whereas the 510 is crisp.   Just my 2C.

The UH-1 is a true holographic, hence the grainy appearance, but it's the reticle, not the glass, which is pretty good. The 510c is an LED projection. For a battle rifle, the holo has the advantage. I run a Huey on my ACR sbr, but I now own three 510c's. I took the shield off per the recommendation I got here for my MPX and I leave it on for my MCX in .300blk. 

13 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

The UH-1 is a true holographic, hence the grainy appearance, but it's the reticle, not the glass, which is pretty good. The 510c is an LED projection. For a battle rifle, the holo has the advantage. I run a Huey on my ACR sbr, but I now own three 510c's. I took the shield off per the recommendation I got here for my MPX and I leave it on for my MCX in .300blk. 

Understand the difference and agree.  My context was a sight for the PCC game even though I have one on a 5.56 which makes a great truck gun.   For a battle rifle optic I've gone another direction entirely.

1 hour ago, STIboy said:

For me and what I do with it, USPSA matches in the PCC division, I use the circle/dot.  The circle is the fastest way (for me) to get on target, but I'll switch to the dot for longer shots or when I need extra precision.

Thats what I was thinking. Shot the novekse match last year and they had a plate rack at like 70 yards or so. Was tough with my c- more. 

Switching to to this for their next match in hopes the smaller for is easier for precise targets 

3 hours ago, SpaceMan said:

Thats what I was thinking. Shot the novekse match last year and they had a plate rack at like 70 yards or so. Was tough with my c- more. 

Switching to to this for their next match in hopes the smaller for is easier for precise targets 

Exactly... a perfect application of the 510c.

3 hours ago, LtdShooter said:

Exactly... a perfect application of the 510c.

Forgot to mention - the outside circle of the 510c is perfect for Steel Challenge.  Just put the circle over the target plate and pull the trigger.  It seems much easier and quicker to see the circle than just a dot.  For those of you who run a lot faster than me, pull the trigger as the edge of the circle touches the plate as you transition.

I also am looking for another PCC red dot, using a DPP Pro, 2.5 moa, just not bright enough on a bright sunny day.

I am using a Romeo 1, 6 moa on my CO gun, window a little small, VERY VERY bright in any sunlight,  used it on highest setting once.

Looking for something as bright as the Romeo 1, 6 moa, anyone know if the 510c, c-more railway are as bright as that?

On 1/6/2019 at 2:44 PM, jmi786 said:

I also am looking for another PCC red dot, using a DPP Pro, 2.5 moa, just not bright enough on a bright sunny day.

I am using a Romeo 1, 6 moa on my CO gun, window a little small, VERY VERY bright in any sunlight,  used it on highest setting once.

Looking for something as bright as the Romeo 1, 6 moa, anyone know if the 510c, c-more railway are as bright as that?

While I don't have a Romeo 1, I do have various Aimpoints, and the brightness of the 510c seems comparable.  It's certainly bright enough to use in full summer sun for competition.

Just make sure you run it in battery mode if you want maximum brightness.  The sight has two operating modes, solar cell (or "automatic") and battery.  In battery mode the "+" and "-" buttons adjust the brightness.  In solar cell mode the top mounted solar cell powers the sight, and the brightness is not adjustable, and usually runs less than the maximum setting in battery mode, but, of course, draws no power.  To switch between the two modes, press and hold the "-" button for three seconds.

Edited by STIboy

Just weighed a shell / cover from a 510c and it went 488 gr or 1.11 oz. on my scale. 

It will not make a lot of difference weight wise but when you are chasing a certain overall weight and balance that I'm doing (mostly for fun as I'm into winter boredom) then it all adds up.   

That being said I was told earlier today by an old friend that I'm picking the Fly Sh*t out of the Pepper! 🧐

It does though may for a better overall vision on your target.

Edited by LtdShooter
21 minutes ago, LtdShooter said:

Just weighed a shell / cover from a 510c and it went 488 gr or 1.11 oz. on my scale. 

It will not make a lot of difference weight wise but when you are chasing a certain overall weight and balance that I'm doing (mostly for fun as I'm into winter boredom) then it all adds up.   

That being said I was told earlier today by an old friend that I'm picking the Fly Sh*t out of the Pepper! 🧐

It does though may for a better overall vision on your target focus.

Thank you sir!  It seems like kind of a large sight for such a gun (.22) but people run c-mores on these things all the time.

I'm thinking the circle-dot reticle will be excellent for short range steel shooting.  For all but the smallest plates you just roughly center the plate in the circle and pull the trigger.  The really tiny plates (2x4 in) on the other hand, won't be obscured like they would by an 8 or 12 moa cmore.

Edited by forkliftHIFI
13 hours ago, forkliftHIFI said:

Does running it without the shell save much weight or just block less of your vision?  Thinking about trying one on a volquartsen scorpion for steel matches.

It's about blocking your peripheral vision. Guys like to talk about weight and then hang 50+ rounds of 147gr. ammo out of the magwell ;)

I've tried both the dot and circle dot in matches and some drills, as well as having experience w/  Eotechs/Hueys on AR's. IMO what people miss about the circle/dot is the benefit of mechanical offset indexing. How many times have you seen guys blast no-shoots in the face at 3 yards? What about shooting over/head box at 30 yards?

Those are easy(er) with the 65MOA circle. Bottom of circle is your up-close offset, top of your circle is your distance offset. Much faster than Kentucky windage with a 2moa dot....assuming you train with it and plan for it on your walk-through. That said, if you're having trouble with alphas vs. speed, I do think the dot allows for aim small miss-small vs just trying to center the ring on the A-zone and pulling the trigger. 

5 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

It's about blocking your peripheral vision. Guys like to talk about weight and then hang 50+ rounds of 147gr. ammo out of the magwell ;)

I've tried both the dot and circle dot in matches and some drills, as well as having experience w/  Eotechs/Hueys on AR's. IMO what people miss about the circle/dot is the benefit of mechanical offset indexing. How many times have you seen guys blast no-shoots in the face at 3 yards? What about shooting over/head box at 30 yards?

Those are easy(er) with the 65MOA circle. Bottom of circle is your up-close offset, top of your circle is your distance offset. Much faster than Kentucky windage with a 2moa dot....assuming you train with it and plan for it on your walk-through. That said, if you're having trouble with alphas vs. speed, I do think the dot allows for aim small miss-small vs just trying to center the ring on the A-zone and pulling the trigger. 

True, but 50 plus rounds hanging out the bottom of a 6 lb PCC is significantly different than doing the same in a 7.5 to 8 lb version especially when you start playing with the right balance point.

Edited by LtdShooter