Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC red dot. Which one?

10 hours ago, Startingover said:

Is the size [between Vortex Venom and Viper] the major difference between the two.

I remember trying to figure out the difference a while ago without much luck...

The major difference is the Venom is a top load battery and the Viper is a bottom load battery.  Because of this the Viper sits lower and my co-witness with some sights.  The Viper also has set screws like the Docter.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, BartCarter said:

The major difference is the Venom is a top load battery and the Viper is a bottom load battery.  Because of this the Viper sits lower and my co-witness with some sights.  The Viper also has set screws like the Docter.

It's all coming back to me now, thanks.

I'm currently shooting with an 8moa C-More RTS2 on an Open gun...  I run it pretty bright during daytime matches...  Do any of you have issues with the Holosun 2moa dots?  Big enough?  Any trouble seeing them in the bright sunlight?

Curious that with the multitude of dots Holosun makes, why are they all only 2moa?

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm currently shooting with an 8moa C-More RTS2 on an Open gun...  I run it pretty bright during daytime matches...  Do any of you have issues with the Holosun 2moa dots?  Big enough?  Any trouble seeing them in the bright sunlight?

Curious that with the multitude of dots Holosun makes, why are they all only 2moa?

I have run a 2moa Holosun 510c at high noon in the middle of the desert and have never had an issue with brightness.  

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 7:13 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Why are the Holosun sights mounted so high?  It seems like they go out of their way to make the mount high... 

Doesn't that cause issues with parallax?

No but it does effect mechanical offset.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:31 PM, Neomet said:

I have run a 2moa Holosun 510c at high noon in the middle of the desert and have never had an issue with brightness.  

1 hour ago, 3gunnuts said:

No but it does effect mechanical offset.

I now have a Holosun 510c red dot mounted on my PCC and love it...  I'm now a believer...  The 2 MOA dot is fine for USPSA matches - Turn up the brightness...  and great for PCC-Only type matches where targets are further away.

I don't think the window size difference is a big factor but, in general bigger is better.  The major difference between the Vortex Venom and Viper is the Venom has the battery compartment on top so you don't have to remove it from its mount or battery changes and, of course, you don't have to rezero it after a battery change.   

I wasn't aware that the Viper has set screws for the windage and elevation adjustments but I consider this a negative as i've had other red dots that had them and they tended to change the zero when tightened so you were always guessing how much to change the adjustment screws.  The Venom has clicks and they are predictable and hold their adjustment.

14 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I now have a Holosun 510c red dot mounted on my PCC and love it...  I'm now a believer...  The 2 MOA dot is fine for USPSA matches - Turn up the brightness...  and great for PCC-Only type matches where targets are further away.

Did you go green or red?

I keep telling myself I don't want one because of the weight.

I really just don't want to spend more money on optic right now is the real reason 

LOL 

I was running a DP, Then a DP Pro, then tried a 510 (green), and now have a 510 (red) with the shield removed.

DP Pro went to my wife's carbine and the DP went on the backup gun. The window really is pretty awesome. I didn't mind green, but I saw more reflection of the emitter/board AND it was unusable with my green laser. Red/Green works better. 

I'm going to try out the 'shotgun' reticle in practice next. In dry-fire I can center a metric target really, really quickly. Wouldn't work so well for partial cover, mini-poppers, etc. though.

4 hours ago, Startingover said:

Did you go green or red?

I keep telling myself I don't want one because of the weight.

I really just don't want to spend more money on optic right now is the real reason 

LOL 

I went with the red...  I've shot with a green fiber in my Limited gun and it was ok...  One of the ranges I shoot at has a lot of green grass and the dot seemed to be a bit harder to find...  Red seems to work everywhere.

The510c might be a bit heavier, but my rifle isn't a super lightweight...  Even with my new 14" barrel and CF handguard it weighs 6# 4oz.

I bought my 510c at Shooter's Connection...  They had the best deal I found.

Yes, had it for a month or so now. Have bought from that store before. It's like any of the others(gun pro deals, guns midwest, etc). They drop-ship everything from a distributor, so don't expect your good for a week or so, but the prices are unbeatable. I often try to bundle to save on shipping. 

If you thought BE forums made you spend money... wait until you're checking gun.deals 3-4 times/day, hah! Yes, I often run UPC's through their search. That said, I also google it since gun.deals often excludes ebay and Optics Planet, etc.

Edited by Acer2428
10 minutes ago, NateTSU said:

I went with a Trijicon MRO and have been very happy with it. 

I'll throw a vote in for the MRO as well. I've done very well with it.

Really you want something reliable, bright enough, positioned at the correct height and location on the rail so that you dont have to think about holdovers much.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, dbgeek said:

Is anyone not using their Holosun low mount?  Mine (503gu) is 1/3 lower cowitness and I'd like to play with moving it lower since I don't have A2 sights on the PCC. 

I do. The picatinny rail is higher than normal over the barrel as it is. I also do it because I want to get the height over bore as low as possible since I'm not shooting long range. I can be more dead on when positioning the red dot.

Edited by telligentgunner