Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC red dot. Which one?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the FastFire 2 and 3, Cmore Slideride & STS, Aimpoint H1 & PRO, JP Jpoint, Trijicon RMR 06 and TruGlo Tru-Tec 20mm (looks the same as the Holosun HS403b).  Jpoint was the only one that ever broke for me and after only one session on a Glock 34.  FastFire 2s had some problems with the tiny screws falling out but were replaced quickly, only problem being that I needed to have 2 in rotation at all times with one on the gun and one heading back to be replaced.  Any of them will work, I prefer the Aimpoint H1 because it is small but it's too pricey for me to buy for a fun gun.  The Aimpoint Pro is a good deal and I don't notice the scope body because I shoot with both eyes open.  My new 9mm SBR has the TruGlo Tru-Tec 20mm red dot on it and it functions perfectly, is the size of the H1 and was under $150.  If it holds up it will be the best deal for the money.  I have it on an absolute co-witness mount which I had to buy because I felt the included 1/3 co-witness mount was too high.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.
Correction
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m currently looking at the vortex viper and venom for uspsa comp.  Can anyone suggest a 24.1mm x 18mm window(viper) over a 26.4mm x 16mm window(venom)?

i would think the wider window would be better for transitions but I’m currently running a PA microdot with about a 17mm window...so either of these 2 will be an improvement.

thanks

43 minutes ago, Backwoods said:

I’m currently looking at the vortex viper and venom for uspsa comp.

I can't comment on Viper vs Venom but I'll give you a heads up on Vortex. They are transitioning to a new warehouse (or something like that) and are waaaaay behind in orders. My local shop works with Vortex a lot and could not get a Venom for me for well over a month. So you might want to check availability. I have a couple of Venoms and like them but now I'm getting the more expensive Leupold DPP for a Ruger PCC.

The Holsun 510C is an incredibly good optic. I’m thrilled I chose it.

Sure, one of their 503s or a similar Aimpoint microdot clone would be a pinch lighter, but you can’t beat the reticle and field of view for USPSA... and that is weight I don’t mind because it is well back behind your support hand near the COG of the rifle.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 5/10/2018 at 4:30 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Sure, one of their 503s or a similar Aimpoint microdot clone would be a pinch lighter, but you can’t beat the reticle and field of view for USPSA... and that is weight I don’t mind because it is well back behind your support hand near the COG of the rifle.

I have 503's, 515's, a 403, etc, and I would take the 510C for a PCC over any of them.    However, I feel the 503C is better for a fighting gun. 

On 5/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Why are the Holosun sights mounted so high?  It seems like they go out of their way to make the mount high... 

Doesn't that cause issues with parallax?

20 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Why are the Holosun sights mounted so high?  It seems like they go out of their way to make the mount high... 

Most Holosun sights are designed for absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness on an AR-15.

34 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Look at the 510C. It’s basically an EOTech done better and cheaper with aimpoint-like battery life.

Love that thing.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, Backwoods said:

I’m currently looking at the vortex viper and venom for uspsa comp.  Can anyone suggest a 24.1mm x 18mm window(viper) over a 26.4mm x 16mm window(venom)?

i would think the wider window would be better for transitions but I’m currently running a PA microdot with about a 17mm window...so either of these 2 will be an improvement.

thanks

Is the size the major difference between the two.

I remember trying to figure out the difference a while ago without much luck.

I found a Burris Fastfire III for cheap, so I quit looking.

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Look at the 510C. It’s basically an EOTech done better and cheaper with aimpoint-like battery life.

Love that thing.

Lots of different Holosun models to choose from...

Do you use the 510c on your PCC rifle?  Is the outer circle selectable or does it only come in some models?

@RaylanGivens the 510C is circle dot, like an EOtech. But actually much crisper than the EO ever was.

You can toggle between circle, dot, or use both. You’ll wind up using both, although you’ll play with dot only at first. ;) 

The 510C has a gigantic window compared to the tube style sights which rocks for PCC, but it does weigh a tiny bit more:

Holosun 503G with Larue QD mount: 5.86oz

Holosun 510C: 7.72oz

I measured those on my scale back to back.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 5/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, Backwoods said:

thanks

I have both and when shooting, I do not see any measurable difference for me.  I have moved the sights further to the rear because I have no BUIS and this gives me a larger view.