Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Ramp Or Not To Ramp (the Barrel)

bthp

Ramped. Almost any .40 should be ramped for a more supported case, high case pressures.

Nowlin ramp is very popular, but some swear by the Clark cut..... flip a coin. I have both in different guns, they all work.

I have cut both types into 1911 frames for .40 barrels; the Nowlin/Wilson requires a special cutter from Brownells. My friend Alan has not experienced problems with unramped .40 barrels & I know he used to shoot .40 Open Major. I personally err on the side of caution here; I think that unramped .40 barrels are unsafe - particularly with the brass I use that may have an uncertian history or the loads that some people use in .40 (specifically, the N-310 & 200 grn bullet loads; I would not shoot those unsupported. In fact, I do not use N310 for .40 major at all - call me chicken).

site1007.JPG

Regards, D.

The frame is a CNC long/wide dust cover single stack frame by Kristi Tool/KT Ordnance. Here is the link:

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

It is CNC machined in 2 steel halves (4140 I believe), then a process developed by NASA is used to fuse the halves: vacuum brazing in a special furnace; I understand from my friend Jung that this process allowed NASA to braze parts that would otherwise warp from the heat. The frame is only sold as an 80% complete receiver and must be finished into the final firearm by the owner. Here is another photo prior to finishing (I used manganese parkerizing solution) along with some micarta grip panels I will someday finish into something like the popular Gunners grips:

site1022.JPG

All ramped... According to SAAMI the .40 S&W is only supposed to be used in a fully supported barrel. (Check out the disclaimers on reloading data. Hodgdon, Winchester)

One Para-Clark and one Nowlin.

Then how does Glock get away with a unsupported chamber in the 40SW guns.

That's why they strongly recommend factory loads in their guns( glocks).

I have seen about a dozen heads blown off the cases in glocks, none in supported chambers.

I have seen just as many in non-Glocks (40 barrels with ramps) as in Glocks.

Regardess...a ramped barrel in 40 is the way to go.