Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI 500 vs CCI 550 primers

Bench

1 hour ago, Bench said:

Yes, that's my understanding. What I don't fully understand is how far a trigger/hammer job such as with the Wilson Combat would go toward getting the hammer farther back in double action. Any background with this?

You can buy the WIlson trigger bar (same piece they use to get this).  Essentially it has a raised shelf geometry to hold onto the hammer hooks longer, resulting in a longer hammer arc and more kinetic energy.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No knowledge on Berettas. On the Tanfoglios you can work on the disconnector head to lengthen the hammer-throw in DA nicely.

That's kind of the general drift of what I remember from WAY back on Beretta's when I first read about it but decided on other work first.

Bench, regarding your original question, magnum primer compound  has some additional particles in them (maybe phosphorous?) that ignite and have a little bit of mass and thus momentum to carry them deeper into the powder unimpeded and ensure good ignition.  Since 9mm has such a short powder column to begin with, the difference between magnum and standard primers in 9mm is almost nothing. 

21 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

Bench, regarding your original question, magnum primer compound  has some additional particles in them (maybe phosphorous?) that ignite and have a little bit of mass and thus momentum to carry them deeper into the powder unimpeded and ensure good ignition.  Since 9mm has such a short powder column to begin with, the difference between magnum and standard primers in 9mm is almost nothing. 

Thanks IDescribe, nice to hear more of the specifics of why there is basically no difference between the two for 9mm.

• 8 months later...
On 4/24/2018 at 11:12 AM, IDescribe said:

Glad to finally hear an explanation of the differences between standard and magnum primers!!  Thanks.