Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KC's Carry Optics Gun

boudreux

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Barrel Length using less powder for the same PF, and I like the look of the 34 better!!!

Yea what is the advantage of the 17 over the 19 in carry optics? 

Edited by boudreux

20 minutes ago, Garmil said:

Longer barrel, full size grip.

I was asked why choose the 34 over the 17, I figured why choose the 17 over 19. To me the larger gun can’t be negative whether it’s iron sights or a dot gun. 

I really can’t figure why one would want a 34 over a 17 in CO. Sure, a tenth of a grain less powder to make power factor, but also an extra inch hanging off the pistol for no good reason. 

The 17 and 34 are supposed to start out weighing the same, but another reason for the 34 over a 17 if it's a MOS pop off the dot and shoot production (if you want the extra sight length).

But in reality with a dedicated CO, there is no serious advantage of either.  I don't believe the advantage of the 34 sight radius is big enough to help in Production either.  But I have 2 34's, a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 MOS both set up with dots for the Free State.  Have a Jpoint on the G3 and a DPP on the G4 MOS, do like it best.

The bigger advantage to me is the grip on the G4's and up,  I'm 6' and work with my hands, but have stubby fingers the G4 grip with no adapter fits great.

So go with a MOS and look for the best price on either, more money to accessorize, get a good dot and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

Ha! just reread the original.  It's KC Eusibio, that's the advantage.

Edited by pskys2

The G34 uses a G17 lower, so no difference in grip frame there. The G34 upper is .7 ounces heavier, so a tiny advantage but more swing time. The longer sight radius of the G34 does not come into play with a dot, as dots are target focused, wouldn't matter if its a G26 or G17L. And you don't need the extra barrel length to make Minor anyway in Carry Optics. My G17 Minor load goes about 35 fps faster in my G34 and about 65 fps faster in my G17L. So no change in powder charge weight is  needed. And besides, powder is the least expensive component. At 3.4 grains of TG, that's 16,700 rounds per 8 lb jug...

It's interesting because I used to shoot USPSA at Norco Running Gun with KC's dad, Tata Eusebio,  back in the early 90's. He ran a Limited gun with no sights. KC started (at what seemed like knee high) with an STI Open Minor gun. Then one day, he went from a skinny little Pinoy to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

One of KC's cousins at the about the same age as KC starting...

image36800.jpg

Then he grew up....

b3f79eb5c3ba695b01ba5b805d101ab1.jpg

and starting scoring chics...

021789b3fa5ee3612d6a110be342631a.jpg

Edited by 9x45

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I run 124 Bayous over 3.4 grs of TG at 1.100" making 129 PF out of a OEM G17 for USPSA . Lots of guys run 147s/160s also. For Steel Challenge, you want the lightest and fastest bullet because there is no power floor.