Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have expereince with Shell Shock’s NAS3

scubawookie

Looking to begin reloading and these NAS3 casings do promise high reloadability so I was wondering if anyone has used them or if they are too good to be true.

I would be happy to accept any recommendations for a person who is new to reloading and is currently gearing up to begin competing as well. 

Shooting mostly an STI Apeiro if that matters. 

Thanks guys!

Requires proprietary dies.  Range brass is free and uses the dies reloaders already own.  Not sure why anyone would want to buy proprietary dies for the right to BUY brass.

Edited by IDescribe

If you can’t get free range brass it can make sense.

NAS3 are cheaper than brass (new), last longer, can be picked up with a magnet and they weigh less.

The last point is important if you have to fly to matches. Apparently the difference in weight allows a meaningful increase in ammo to be flown with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, scubawookie said:

I don’t already have anything actually! So it wouldn’t really effect me to pick up the special dies. 

Yes, it would.  It would compel you to waste money on their cases.

• That they're a few cents cheaper than new brass is irrelevant.   Range pick-up is free.
  • If you're somewhere where you can't get range pick-up, once-fired brass is plentiful and cheaper than nas3.
  • If you can't get free range pick-up, you're likely at an indoor range where they're going to check your reloads for steel bullets with a magnet, and when your reloads react to the magnet, your ammo might be banned anyway.
  • If you're somewhere where you can't get free range pick-up, you're going to be losing your purchased nas3 cases.
  • RIght now, the extended durability of these is little more than marketing.  There's no history with these to know if they're more durable or not.  I'm not saying they're not.  I'm just saying we don't know.  The fact that they're two piece case concerns me.
  • Are these in the normal range of internal case volume as standard brass?  If not, your published reloading data may not apply.
  • If you are an early adopter of this new system, you are a beta tester and might be buying into a system that's gone in a year or two, in an attempt to upgrade loading gear that is already unimaginably well-tested and reliable.

This is a classic example of a solution looking for a problem.  Waste of money.

I tried them to see if they would let me use a wider range of loads in my 929 9mm revolver which is way beyond finicky. They did not extract well at all so I didn't pursue it but at least I do have some experience with them and while the potential downsides are hardly as horrible as some make it sound, I don't see any real benefit for the average shooter. They are a little trickier to reload so unless you have a real need to be able to pick up the empties with a magnet I'd stay with conventional cases.

12 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Yes, it would.  It would compel you to waste money on their cases.

• That they're a few cents cheaper than new brass is irrelevant.   Range pick-up is free.
  • If you're somewhere where you can't get range pick-up, once-fired brass is plentiful and cheaper than nas3.
  • If you can't get free range pick-up, you're likely at an indoor range where they're going to check your reloads for steel bullets with a magnet, and when your reloads react to the magnet, your ammo might be banned anyway.
  • If you're somewhere where you can't get free range pick-up, you're going to be losing your purchased nas3 cases.
  • RIght now, the extended durability of these is little more than marketing.  There's no history with these to know if they're more durable or not.  I'm not saying they're not.  I'm just saying we don't know.  The fact that they're two piece case concerns me.
  • Are these in the normal range of internal case volume as standard brass?  If not, your published reloading data may not apply.
  • If you are an early adopter of this new system, you are a beta tester and might be buying into a system that's gone in a year or two, in an attempt to upgrade loading gear that is already unimaginably well-tested and reliable.

This is a classic example of a solution looking for a problem.  Waste of money.

The only POTENTIAL benefit they could have which has not been tested vigorously yet is withstanding 9major rounds a little better than brass. If you could get the same number of 9major reloads out of one case as a 38 SC, I would be able to see the benefits of these cases. Only time will tell and like you said, in two years who knows. 

9 hours ago, lacivilian said:

The only POTENTIAL benefit is withstanding 9 major rounds better than brass.  

Lot of people use only 1x fired brass for 9 mm Major, but many of us

load even brass 9mm Major as often as we can, as long as there are

no cracks and primers stay in place    :)