Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what point is it not worth it?

On 5/4/2018 at 10:52 AM, Dutchman195 said:

Anything over 1.5 hour drive is to much for me for a local. Its not worth it once you factor in gas, 25 match fee, sunburn and wasting my only day off for maybe 300ish seconds of shooting. Unless there is a Major coming up and I try to cram as many locals as I can in. 

A major problem I have with my area is that these matches have kick off at 10AM and dont finish until dinner time 4-6ish. I would rather have kick off at 8 and get home earlier.

I'd love to start my matches at 8:00 AM but I'd have to get there at 5:00 AM to set up. You DO help set up right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, davidb72 said:

I'd love to start my matches at 8:00 AM but I'd have to get there at 5:00 AM to set up. You DO help set up right?

No I do not help set up....BUT...

The club(s) sets up after work Friday or Saturday before the match so I cant get out there because of my work schedule... 

I am lucky enough that my Monthly IDPA  Matches are only 45 min away.  If I shoot USPSA I can get 2  Matches a month, but

I am focusing on the Revolver.  Rifle Matches are a solid 5.5 hours each way and minimum 2 nights, Worlds are 3

I drive as far as three and a half hours to shoot local matches. I do it because I enjoy the sport and have a good time doing it. I don’t come in first place and I’m fine with that. 

I've driven to state matches and sectionals that are 2 to 3.5 hours away and didn't think anything of it. I wouldn't want to do that every weekend. Would I? I don't know.

Luckily local matches are all within about an hour for 3 matches a month and about 2 hours for the fourth if I choose to shoot it. 

If I add in IDPA then there are 2 more matches a month that are within 60 minutes.

Edited by ddc

• 4 weeks later...

Anything farther than an hour and a half needs to be worth it. There's a club that does a good match that is about a 2 hour drive that I'll sometimes go to, and it is totally worth going to, but it still is a long drive. I only go to it maybe once a season because there are other good matches a bit closer.

For sectionals and major matches, I drove 4.5 hours, or 6 hours if carpooling with someone. Driving myself, I usually drive the day before, look at the stages, stay in a hotel, wake up the next morning and compete, then either drive for a bit and stay at a different hotel, or go back to the same hotel then drive again the day after the match for safety. Anything that would take longer than 5 hours to drive solo, I'd probably fly to it and rent a car at the airport.

There's a match south of me that runs 20/squad. 6-7 hours for a local match can be rough, especially in july and august.

On 7/24/2018 at 4:28 PM, Nalle2491 said:

Our local matches are anywhere from 8 to 12 people per squad. I couldnt imagine shooting a 20 person squad. It already goes slow enough.

Mine is 5 hours, after that you are spending a lot more time on the road than actually shooting. Also you do get a little tired and it is not worth it. Jacking yourself on caffeine before a match is counterproductive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, Nalle2491 said:

Our local matches are anywhere from 8 to 12 people per squad. I couldnt imagine shooting a 20 person squad. It already goes slow enough.

I would need to find a hobby to do while I was waiting to do my hobby. 

How’s that new club match doing?

Help out and make it a good match.  

I volunteer at 3 “local” clubs.  Closest is an hour and the other 2 are about an hour 20min.  

I enjoy this sport and will put in the time/energy to help make it better.