Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 limited or production setup?

Dbw2223

So I'm making the jump from idpa to USPSA, I have everything to shoot limited or production. I'm not trying to win nationals or anything but I am competitive and would like to be competitive. So would I be at a disadvantage with the Glock in limited? Or would I be best suited to load 40 minor and shoot production?

If it's not gonna be a pain to switch the gear back and forth, I'd say shoot a couple matches for both. 

I do think a standard G35 is at a disadvantage to someone shooting a legit Limeted gun. Sure there's guys out there doing it and normally I don't think gear is the limiting factor.  However, I personally feel a 2011 is better sutied for Limited. CZ and Tanfo have limited guns too.  Plus, a lot of the guys shooting Glocks do have some extra $ tied up in them so,.....  they're not exactly stock. But they are a lot cheaper. 

A 35 shooting minor would be a good Production gun IMO. A 34 would be better but....  

Though, you may like Limited better than production and not care about the gun as much. 

Edited by B_RAD

Doesn't matter and it won't hold you back in either division.  There are little advantages to a steel framed dedicated Limited or Production gun but until you are shooting at a Master level, IMO, the Glock won't hold you back.

Even at Master it really won't, again IMO. But those steel framed guns sure are nice!

I shoot a Glock in Limited. Would I shoot slightly better with a 2011? Probably, but I don't feel like the Glock is holding me back or putting me at any significant disadvantage to others with 2011s. I used to shoot a Glock in Production before I switched to Limited; I just enjoy shooting Limited more. So I say go with whatever division you prefer shooting and you'll be fine with the Glock either way.

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I've shot Production with a 40S&W and a 9mm. While the 9mm is cheaper to shoot, the 40 seems to be softer (with the correct loads). I would say shoot Production.

I agree 180gr bullet behind 3.1gr of titegroup is stupid soft.

If you haven't shot USPSA before I would definitely shoot limited, more rounds in the mag will give you more leeway on stage planning until you get your feet wet, then you can decide.  Whether you shoot major or minor is more up to your comfort level, but a heavy bullet over fast powder going fast enough to make major really isn't a harsh load to shoot and the better point value of major would be something to think about.  

27 minutes ago, Dbw2223 said:

This might be all for nothing I've had a few offers on my 35 package. If it sells I can't help it I'm getting a shadow 2.

Don't do it, shoot limited.  Production sucks, haha.  Actually shoot what you like and have fun, but I will stick with the suggestion for limited

25 minutes ago, RJH said:

Don't do it, shoot limited.  Production sucks, haha.  Actually shoot what you like and have fun, but I will stick with the suggestion for limited

This might sound bad but I actually like reloading lol

22 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I've shot Production with a 40S&W and a 9mm. While the 9mm is cheaper to shoot, the 40 seems to be softer (with the correct loads). I would say shoot Production.

The other nice thing is that with 40 minor the steels are going to fall, with 9mm every once in a while you are going to get screwed. That's assuming you are 135 + on the 40 and closer to 130 on the 9. 

37 minutes ago, Dbw2223 said:

This might sound bad but I actually like reloading lol

Hitting the reloads slick is fun. Big mags are for people who never learned how to change a tire & think that mens soccer is a sport. 

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hitting the reloads slick is fun. Big mags are for people who never learned how to change a tire & think that mens soccer is a sport. 

Ohhh shots fired! I like it!!!!

• 1 month later...

Jumping from IDPA to USPSA you are no stranger to reloads and understanding stage plan in correlation with that. I personally believe that a G35 loaded with minor loads in production doesn't set you at any glaring disadvantage. A G35 loaded with major loads shooting limited puts you at a slight disadvantage compared to some. Just my 2cents worth. You see a ton of people running Glocks in limited, you see even more running Glocks in production. 

Anybody know if B.Vogel was shooting a G35 when he won the Ohio buckeye blast limited division last weekend?

If memory serves he was maybe a close 3rd overall with a couple open guys getting 1 & 2, but I could be remembering that part wrong (and I'm too lazy to look it up). 

It looked like his usual gun, with the barrel weight.  Could be the 35...

And yes, he was 3rd overall, at 97.7%.  Lots of fairly close-in targets, but still needed good stage planning and execution.  Nice work indeed.  

10 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I'd shoot limited. You don't get any advantages from shooting a 40s&w in Production.

I really like the recoil of a 180 grain bullet + fast powder pushed at around 140 power factor, that is a personal thing though. 

The advantage you do get is that you are not the person who gets the mike when a popper doesn't go down on a good hit but then falls when hit with a calibration test shot, and you are not waiting what seems like hours for steel activators to fall or feeling a need to double tap to save time. It is not a big deal but if you shoot 9 at 130 ish power factor every once in a while you will get screwed on steel targets. 

2 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I really like the recoil of a 180 grain bullet + fast powder pushed at around 140 power factor, that is a personal thing though. 

The advantage you do get is that you are not the person who gets the mike when a popper doesn't go down on a good hit but then falls when hit with a calibration test shot, and you are not waiting what seems like hours for steel activators to fall or feeling a need to double tap to save time. It is not a big deal but if you shoot 9 at 130 ish power factor every once in a while you will get screwed on steel targets. 

Valid points for sure. The mental peace that is provided outweighs any advantage that a 9mm would provide. Plus you get a bigger bullet that might break the line in the score box in certain situations