Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA/DA gun for large hands (IPSC production) (P226?)

impact

Hi Folks,

I'm currently shooting Glock (gen 4, large beavertail backstrap), but consider getting SA/DA gun for IPSC production. However, most of the guns out there seem to be best suited for people with small to medium size hands, I'm more on the large side. That typically puts either the trigger or my trigger finger in an awkward position. I tried CZ Shadow 1s and don't like them. I tried the shadow 2 and it's an improvement over the predecessor, but still leaves quite a bit to be desired. Maybe it works with palm swell grips, but with the flat stock ones my finger naturally lies in a way that puts the trigger into the joint between first and  middle phalanx. Of course I can adjust that contact point, but that puts the finger under quite a bit of tension that likely will push the trigger off to the left without lots of dryfire. Not sure if that kind of retraining trigger technique would be effective.

What about Sig P226s or X-Fives (the SA/DA models)? How do they compare in terms of ergonomics (grip size) and trigger characteristics (DA pull, SA pull, reach in SA (distance from back of the grip to triggerface at breaking point)) to other SA/DA guns?

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Try Tanfo’s with the stock grip or a Shadow 2 with palm swell grips. I have medium large hands with Tanfo stock grips, it feels and fits very well.

But the 226 will be fine just not that popular or a huge competition aftermarket. If you’re buying a new gun and I assume Canada due to IPSC, the Shadow 2 is probably the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a sig P226 X5 Allround in USPSA. It has a 5" barrel which makes for a good sight radius. In dry fire I notice the difference in Da/Sa trigger. Shooting matches I feel no differences. The gun is heavier than most. I also have a P226 that I shoot. Being located in Canada you are limited to 10 round mags. The 10 round mags I have suck. I use 15 or 18 round mags loaded with 10 rounds only for production. This setup is very reliable.  

On 4/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, MikeBurgess said:

I cant help with what will fit the way you want, but I can tell you lots of people run DA triggers with the trigger in the fist joint as you describe. 

Yep, this is how Ben Stoeger taught me when I took his class.

Eric

Thanks for that piece of info!

Also thanks to the rest of you. I'm located in austria, europe, so fortuantely we don't have to deal with 10 round mags (except in classic division ..).

I don't think hogue wraparounds are peoduction legal in europe, as are any aftermarket triggers.

I shoot a pair of X5 Allrounds in production and I have XL hands.  But I admittedly press the trigger just inside the crease also.  I use stock plastic with an aftermarket stipple job, but I realize that may not be an option for IPSC.  The largest combination I've found for the 226 framed guns are either the rubber Hogues like mentioned above (I realize these aren't legal either) or the stock rosewood grips that come on the elite pistols here in the US.  Their texture leaves a bit to be desired IMO, but size-wise they're similar to the Hogues and I've seen them on some variants of the 226 LDCs being sold in Europe, so I think they're likely an IPSC legal option for you.  Especially given the LDC is allegedly a purpose built production gun for the sport.  

The Tanfoglio frames are a good bit longer in the grip (front to back) than the Sigs.  They very well might be pretty good ergonomically for you and have a number of purpose built models.  I can't speak to the legality of tinkering with their action parts, but the Xtreme variants come out of their custom shop stock with action work, if I'm not mistaken.          

I have larger size hands and use a SIG P226 Elite when I horse around in Production.  I honestly feel I don't give up much to the guys running the $1500 tricked out CZs.  The grip is definitely large on a P series gun with standard grips and the regular trigger.  I use the stock plastic grips and the GGI medium trigger, with their competition spring package if you go that route.  Wish there were more sight options though.  Throw the stock short trigger in the trash if you have that cause it sucks.  Those SIGs shoot groups like little rifles lol.