Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have this barrel?

Zoomy

I’m using a Franken rifle now with. 18” Compass Lake Engineering barrel with an SPR profile. It’s a sub MOA rifle but weighs in at 8 pounds 3 ounces without a scope. I need a lighter setup.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't speak to your question first hand, but a few months ago I asked one of the other shooters at our local match what bbl he was using (because he was doing so well on the long range stages).

He showed it to me and it was the 16" BAD light rigid ... but not as shiny as the pictures because it was well used.  I asked how well he liked the barrel and his response was that it's very accurate and he'd definitely recommend it for long range 3gun.  I didn't specifically ask about 500 yard shots, but we shoot out to 535 in our matches and he seemed pretty happy with his results.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:22 PM, emjbe said:

Can't speak to your question first hand, but a few months ago I asked one of the other shooters at our local match what bbl he was using (because he was doing so well on the long range stages).

He showed it to me and it was the 16" BAD light rigid ... but not as shiny as the pictures because it was well used.  I asked how well he liked the barrel and his response was that it's very accurate and he'd definitely recommend it for long range 3gun.  I didn't specifically ask about 500 yard shots, but we shoot out to 535 in our matches and he seemed pretty happy with his results.

Thanks, good to know because I pulled the trigger and bought one. Should have the rifle assembled in a couple of days. 

Looks like a high priced, fluted barrel. Many barrels out there will do the same for less money.  Check with Dan Lilja, works for JP.  I shoot Satern barrels. Very, Very accurate barrels.  18" 223 Wylde DF Med Rifle barrel $285  Medium contour, rifle gas , double fluted, 5 R rifling.  My rifles are .5 or less.  No crazy warranty void for reloads.

Edited by troupe

9 hours ago, troupe said:

Looks like a high priced, fluted barrel. Many barrels out there will do the same for less money.  Check with Dan Lilja, works for JP.  I shoot Satern barrels. Very, Very accurate barrels.  18" 223 Wylde DF Med Rifle barrel $285  Medium contour, rifle gas , double fluted, 5 R rifling.  My rifles are .5 or less.  No crazy warranty void for reloads.

I think it depends on what you want from a barrel.  The higher priced BAD weighs in at 24.6oz and includes the cryogenic treatment.  That Medium contour Satern looks like about 30-34 oz.  I think the people who are willing to pay more for the BAD want the lower weight and acceptable accuracy instead of higher weight and .5 or better accuracy.  Also - I saw those Satern barrels come with a headspace bolt for the price ... they look like a lot of goodness for the price.

as an aside to @troupe... I have to travel to North Carolina for work tomorrow through Friday.  If you know of any ranges near the Charlotte airport that would rent out a Glock so I could get some practice in, could you let me know? 

I already have a AR that I built 6 years ago that I have been using for my first four 3 gun matches. It has a 18” Compass Lake Engineering SPR profile barrel that gives me sub MOA groups using factory ammo. Problem is it weighs in at 11.2 pounds with a mounted 1-8 scope. The lightweight build I am using the BAD barrel on will weigh in at 4.95 pounds without optics. I think it should work fine on 500 yard steel targets and make for fast transitions on close in targets.

Edited by Zoomy

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, Zoomy said:

I’m looking into buying a Battle Arms 16” light rigid barrel for a light 3 gun build. Does anyone have this barrel.is it accurate enough for Steel 3gun targets out to 500 yards? Here is a link.

https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.com/16-ultramatch-lightrigidtm-416r-ss-223-wylde-fluted-lightweight-barrel-black-contrast

Never tried that one.  When I shot High power Competition I always used a Krieger or one of john Holliger's Barrels from WhiteOak.

Nothing but praise for John and his work.

He's in: Carlock, IL 61725

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels.html

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, HowardM said:

My buddy has 1 on this 3 `gun rifle not only does it look sweet his shoots lights out

I sighted it in at 100 yards last week. Using cheep federal 55gr it shot .8” groups. With 69gr Gorilla ammo it shot .7” groups with a NightForce 1-8 scope. My rifle is 6 pound 7 ounces with the scope and mount and it shoots just as accurate as my 11 pound 2 ounce rifle with a 18” SPR barrel from Compass Lake Engineering.

Yes I was surprised because even after the  barrel heated up for being a lightweight barrel it did not seem to affect point of impact I can’t say enough good about it however I am talking about one of one sample

• 5 months later...

Do not have a fluted version, but I have a low round count of a stainless F1 Firearms 16" match barrel. Been trying to sell it, but awesome accuracy. Also have a Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel. Performance results I imagine would be similar.