Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok great fellows. After 5.5 years of absence, no training at all, and doing other things ..... I have desire to return into competitive shape. Following videos will follow my path and looking for your spitting, slapping, bitching or constructive views and recommendations. Without all those things I would not achieve  my humble goal. GM in a  365 from today. Countdown started :D

First two are after 14 weeks "training". Now and then dry fire and 13 livefire session (+some more static).

So .... feel free, be honest (I know that this is so clumsy) and CHEERS 

Edited by AlexA
embedded video

As you said, it's a little "clumsy", but to be expected after

a long layoff.

It will come with more practice/ dryfire.

Looked like a C shooter, to me.    :) 

I’m going through something similar. I’ve been off and on for 20 years but have shot a few matches this year to knock some rust off.

Like Jack said, my first experiences have just been clumsy as well. I don’t personally have a spot to live fire so all of my work has been on the dry fire front. That said, I think something like 90% of The skills we employee in a match can be covered via dry fire.

You have to do you but for me at least I have really been dialing in on what exactly I want to focus on for each match (execution, accuracy, consistency etc.) and then after each match assessing my performance on those key focus areas. It has really helped me develop the (long) list of things to work on. 

Welcome back! It’s still as much fun as when you left!!

Thx a lot j1b , Hi-Power Jack.

Also, really generous comments. Especially for "C" level classification. In reality I think more about  low/mid D. Why? If I grade from 1-10:

1. Grip/recoil mgmt= 1

2. Manipulation= 1

3. Shot calling = -5

4. Precision= -3 (Mr. Mike is my best friend. If you see him tell him to f*** off from me )

5. Splits = 1

6. Transitions=1

7. Movements (entering/exiting/lateral/twists)=1 (at least didn't kiss the floor)

8. Shooting on the move = -1

9. Stage plan, rehearsals (visualisation), execution = 1 (realistically 0)

10. ......

In essence, I cannot see element that I shouldn't  work for improvement .

Demoralizing? Yes

Frustrating? Yes

Determined? After 16 weeks a little bit burned out.

Should I continue? Don't know  (in 14-15 weeks it's easy to develop bad habits on GM level)

9 minutes ago, AlexA said:

Demoralizing? Yes

Determined? After 16 weeks burned out.

Should I continue? Don't know  (in 14-15 weeks it's easy to develop bad habits on GM level)

GM is NOT a "humble goal" ....   :huh:

I would think that getting an A card in one year, might be possible.

To me, learning to shoot BETTER than I shoot now, is a realistic

goal.    ^_^

Do you have a copy of any book on dry firing ?

I'd suggest if you're very serious (you seem to be) then I'd start with

a LOT of dry firing.

To improve to a A level, you probably need more live fire than once/week.

And you definitely will improve exponentially after more than two matches.

Your progress isn't bad - matter of fact, it's pretty good.   It's your

EXPECTATIONS that are unrealistic, from the little I've seen  ....

Relax, practice more, hit another dozen matches, and then set a more

realistic goal.

Most of us will NEVER hit A, much less M or GM.

Practice, shoot and enjoy the ride - you will definitely improve - which

is the main goal of shooting   :)

Good luck with it.

To improve to a A level, you probably need more live fire than once/week.

Not true Jack. Quality live fire, proving your dry fire techniques are correct & working on a few things you can only do in live fire, once per week is okay.  Sure more is better, but once is a lot more than many folks ever get.

@AlexA If you are really serious, get some training ASAP. I'm a fan boy of Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson. Both of those guys will get you going down the right path.  It can be hard, it is for me, to self diagnose the small but very important things. That's the value in good training classes.

Set a realistic plan on dry fire & live fire and stick to it.  Tackle & dominate the small things first; trigger control, reloads, acceptable sight picture for different shots, and movement between positions. Of that list, you can really improve everything but Sight Picture in dry fire. Spend your time & money wisely dry fire a TON; learn to shoot accurate and move quickly. That will put you ahead in a hurry!

What match was that? How were your points & time compared to the division winner?