Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made case lube

I'm not sure this is necessarily Dillon related but since I have DIllon equipment, I'll put it here. I am about out of One Shot case lube. I've seen posts about how to make home made case lube, so I think I'll try it. One of the ingredients is lanolin and the other is 99% isopropyl alcohol (some people use Heet). Is there a specific type of lanolin to use. Can someone suggest where to get the correct type of lanolin?

I use a kind of paste lanolin I bought at a Mother Earth store. I'm sure that the liquid type lanolin works better, but the stuff I use is good enough.

This is what i use mixed with 99% alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I1OYNK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523407903&sr=8-5&keywords=lanolin&dpPl=1&dpID=41Qwu089fTL&ref=plSrch

But this would probably mix better with the alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00028MLKC/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523407903&sr=8-9&keywords=lanolin&dpPl=1&dpID=31rCeBGcIXL&ref=plSrch

^^ I use 1 oz of above with a full bottle off IsoHeet from Walmart. That is plenty strong and I end up diluting it a little bit. Do not use rubbing alcohol which is 10-30% water. It won't dry fast enough. IsoHeet is 100% isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol).

Edited by Brooke

10 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

I'm not sure this is necessarily Dillon related but since I have DIllon equipment, I'll put it here. I am about out of One Shot case lube. I've seen posts about how to make home made case lube, so I think I'll try it. One of the ingredients is lanolin and the other is 99% isopropyl alcohol (some people use Heet). Is there a specific type of lanolin to use. Can someone suggest where to get the correct type of lanolin?

Get both on amazon. Much faster and easier than driving to all the hippie shops looking for stuff. Try searching on here. I and several others have detailed the process pretty thoroughly

On 4/10/2018 at 8:51 PM, GrumpyOne said:

I use a kind of paste lanolin I bought at a Mother Earth store. I'm sure that the liquid type lanolin works better, but the stuff I use is good enough.

This is what i use mixed with 99% alcohol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I1OYNK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523407903&sr=8-5&keywords=lanolin&dpPl=1&dpID=41Qwu089fTL&ref=plSrch

I use that same paste lanolin that you use, but I don't mix it with alcohol...  I don't mix it with anything...  I spread a tiny bit on my hands and fingers and then work it into the brass by hand...  I'll work through around 700 cases at a time kneeding the brass sort of like you would bread...  Sometimes I'll roll the brass between my hands.

I do it this way to eliminate getting any of the lanolin inside the neck of the brass...  I don't want to contaminate the powder charge...  However, I noticed watching the 6.5 Guys video that they wipe the lanolin inside the case neck on purpose...  Why do they do that?

Do you guys worry about spraying the lanolin mixture into the neck of the cases?

I got this from Amazon and 91% alcohol from Wally World and mix 10 to 1, works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Health-Liquid-Lanolin-Ounce/dp/B0014AWF0S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1523565202&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid%2Blanolin%2B16%2Boz&th=1

At ten to one you'll end up with more than a quart (I only mix one oz lanolin and 10 oz alcohol at a time, takes awhile to use that) which should keep you going for quite awhile.

3 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I use that same paste lanolin that you use, but I don't mix it with alcohol...  I don't mix it with anything...  I spread a tiny bit on my hands and fingers and then work it into the brass by hand...  I'll work through around 700 cases at a time kneeding the brass sort of like you would bread...  Sometimes I'll roll the brass between my hands.

I do it this way to eliminate getting any of the lanolin inside the neck of the brass...  I don't want to contaminate the powder charge...  However, I noticed watching the 6.5 Guys video that they wipe the lanolin inside the case neck on purpose...  Why do they do that?

Do you guys worry about spraying the lanolin mixture into the neck of the cases?

The amount you get inside the case isn't going to impact the powder, and it makes resizing the case mouth so much easier and smoother.