Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 neck sizing?

Dannybot

Is it necessary to neck size 223 for 3gun hoser  ammo?  Will be shooting for minute of IPSC target....  

It seems I could process my brass a lot faster and with less effort with just a decap and FL size.

thanks.

You need to full length resize, the resized case body should be .003 to .005 smaller in diameter than its fired diameter. This allows the case to spring back from the chamber walls and extract reliably.

After I got out of the service in 1973 I bought a Remington 760 Gamemaster pump and a old fashion Lee Loader that only neck sized the cases.

And the second time I loaded the cases and fired them they would not eject until the cases cooled off approximately 30 seconds later.

Bottom line, pump actions and semiautos must be full length resized to reduce the case body diameter. The case after firing wants to spring back to its resized diameter and if the case body is not reduced in diameter enough it will jam in the chamber.

On a bolt action rifle lifting the bolt handle is called primary extraction and will break the case free from the chamber walls on a neck sized case. And secondary extraction is pulling the bolt straight back to eject the case.