Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom ULW barrel/Light weight PCC. Is there such a thing as too light?

1 minute ago, TRUBL said:

We have one of the longer throats out there.......1.085 will work with ease. 

Thanks Tim.  I look forward to receiving it.  I'm confident my short oal will work.  My question was more of, "is there any reason to load a longer oal when throat permits"?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, alvinsmith75 said:

Thanks Tim.  I look forward to receiving it.  I'm confident my short oal will work.  My question was more of, "is there any reason to load a longer oal when throat permits"?

if the round works, feeds, accurate and makes PF........drive on.

Have only owned it for a week now and shot it twice.  I can hold the entire gun up by the tip of the handguard and shake it around and it doesn't flex. Before I installed it I put my hand around it and squeezed it, it didn't give.  No worries at all for me when it comes to durability.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:39 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have found yes you can make it too light for a USPSA pistol match. I like a little weight up front to keep the muzzle settled a little better for me. For steel challenge make it as light as you can. Thanks, Eric

I also agree with Eric on this one,  The ULW barrel feels great but it also greatly increased my dot movement,  not so good for uspsa as I prefer to have a little weight on the end of the gun as well.  My rifle with the ULW barrel was 5lbs  12oz and for steel it would be perfect.  I switched back to my JP barrel for uspsa.   The accuracy from the ULW barrel was very acceptable.

11 hours ago, wyliearms said:

Didn't want to read through all the posts but in my humble opinion, yes. I like a gun around 6.5 pounds. I've had some pretty blazing times with a 7.5 pound PCC so I decided to drop some weight and see if I could pick up some speed. I got down to about 6.5 and had to adjust to it. I went from averaging 6's on stages like Smoke and Hope and Showdown and moved into the 8's because I was over swinging targets and it bounced more. I've adjusted my load and style to the 6.5 gun but I'm still not where I was with the heavier gun but I think it is in doable range but I'm not going lighter. Shoot what you have, get used to it and tweak in small increments. I pulled that pound out 2 weeks before Nationals and my times suffered from my stupidity.

That is how I spent my day.  In an effort to pick up some speed I went from a 7+ pound gun to one just under 6 pounds.  I love how light and fast it moves but it is not helping my times and especially not my accuracy.  The PCC itself has the most accurate 9mm barrel I own but so far I cannot shoot it well.

I knew I had problems but figured I with practice and possibly a new load, it would work out.

Today I spent the whole day at the range trying to get used to the new feel of this gun.  I went through nine different loads using four different bullets. I had high hopes of running it this weekend at a match but by the end of my range session I knew it would not be a smart move.

I have not given up but it will take a lot more practice and possibly some thinking out of the box.  I considering adding some weight to the handguard or going to a lighter buttstock to change where the gun balances.

Not a good day but its part of the process.

54 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I also agree with Eric on this one,  The ULW barrel feels great but it also greatly increased my dot movement,  not so good for uspsa as I prefer to have a little weight on the end of the gun as well.  My rifle with the ULW barrel was 5lbs  12oz and for steel it would be perfect.  I switched back to my JP barrel for uspsa.   The accuracy from the ULW barrel was very acceptable.

I'm beginning to see the writing on the wall.

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I have not given up but it will take a lot more practice and possibly some thinking out of the box.  I considering adding some weight to the handguard or going to a lighter buttstock to change where the gun balances.

Not a good day but its part of the process.

My first PCC was a factory ULW upper with carbon fiber forearm. I switched to a lightweight but metal based forearm and slightly heavier receiver, plus iron sights and a finger guard.  The weight addition was only about half a pound but it’s in just the right spots. A little more weight on the center and front made me a lot happier.  I haven’t shot it much in competition mainly due to weather but I’m much happier with the slightly heavier upper.  I think the finger guard/hand stop is avery positive addition as well since it helps me get a more consistent hand placement and rearward pressure on the shoulder.  

Edited by jkrispies
5 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

My first PCC was a factory ULW upper with carbon fiber forearm. I switched to a lightweight but metal based forearm and slightly heavier receiver, plus iron sights and a finger guard.  The weight addition was only about half a pound but it’s in just the right spots. A little more weight on the center and front made me a lot happier.  I haven’t shot it much in competition mainly due to weather but I’m much happier with the slightly heavier upper.  I think the finger guard/hand stop is avery positive addition as well.  

Mine already has an aluminum handguard.  I plan to stick on a keymod rail and some other bit of bling to bring up the weight on the muzzle end of the gun. With the keymod rail I can move it back and forth until I find the sweet spot.

I also have a fingerguard I can install.  Had one on my main PCC earlier and it kept getting in the way but its worth a try.

If you set your gun on a knife edge, where would it balance?  Behind or forward of the trigger?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Mine already has an aluminum handguard.  I plan to stick on a keymod rail and some other bit of bling to bring up the weight on the muzzle end of the gun. With the keymod rail I can move it back and forth until I find the sweet spot.

I also have a fingerguard I can install.  Had one on my main PCC earlier and it kept getting in the way but its worth a try.

If you set your gun on a knife edge, where would it balance?  Behind or forward of the trigger?

Thanks.

With the bolt forward and an empty magazine it’s right in front of the trigger, basically where my fibger sits.  I too went with the finger guard to move it back and forth for balance tweeking.  

My current weight is 6 pounds 6.5 oz, by the way.  I built this upper specifically for shooting Irons in SC but also run an RMR on a QR mount, and I'm not sure if that’s iron sights only or also with the RMR, so with the dot it's probably sitting right around 6.7ish pounds.  I'm pretty sure that’s irons only.  The earlier one was 6 pounds 1.5oz with an RTS2, no irons.  

Edited by jkrispies

I've got my GMR down to 6lb 4oz with everything on it,  I would love to keep the weight in the front of the gun and drop it down to an even 6lbs or even slightly under.  Not sure it's possible unless I go cutting things which I don't want to do.  My gun balances right at the end of the trigger guard toward the barrel side.

This is why weight came up for me.  My PCC started at 6lbs 7.5oz(with 8oz optic).  I was shooting Steel Challenge with my 41rd mag loaded to 35 rounds.  I hit a plateau after 2 matches of not bettering my times.  Stuck with all A class times.  Something needed to change.  I then loaded my 19rd mags to 17rds each.  I improved 3 of my times and went to Master class in Roundabout.  Seeing the drastic improvement after the lighter mags I decided to order the CF handguard and stock.  I love the way the gun feels now and have only shot it in an Outlaw Steel match.  It sits at 5lb 11.5oz now with optic.  I will try the ULW barrel and do some testing at the range to test double taps, groups etc.  Hopefully we get to shoot this Saturday so I can do some real world Steel Challenge testing before the ULW barrel.  With the ULW barrel it will weigh in at  5lbs 4.5oz with optic and 4lbs 12.5oz without.  This isn't the only class I shoot.  I also regularly shoot RFRO in Steel Challenge with a 4lb 8.5oz 15/22 and I shoot Production in USPSA.  As soon as I SBR my Kriss Vector I will have that available too.  I think it will be badass for USPSA being it is sooooo short and compact!

Edited by alvinsmith75
content
7 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Made it back to the range today with a high tech improvement.  I duct taped several ounces of junk metal to the handguard just behind the muzzle.  Not enough weight to be noticeable but enough that it seems to partially tame the dot movement.

To be continued.

I call that a front sight, LOL!!!

I have a steel keymod weight I have been playing with on my handguard with the ULW. I don't think it's too light to perform well (although the heavier setups are a bit more stable at the cost of taking more effort to transition) but I want to use it as a cross training tool for my rifle caliber carbines so I am going back to a longer barrel and brake.

I think if I exclusively cared about USPSA I would probably keep the ULW. If I was setting up a steel gun I would absolutely run the ULW.

11 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Is this something you made?

V Seven makes them out of steel and Strong Side tactical sells them. Looks like 4.8 oz per weight and very low profile. 

I originally was going to try using a keymod flashlight ring and some brass or steel stock, but this works nice and lets me get some more weight back, but low and towards the receiver so the weight is still between my hands. I have added a railmount and surefire just to test, but I didn't want to beat up the flashlight so I removed it.

6 hours ago, MikeRush said:

I have a steel keymod weight I have been playing with on my handguard with the ULW. I don't think it's too light to perform well (although the heavier setups are a bit more stable at the cost of taking more effort to transition) but I want to use it as a cross training tool for my rifle caliber carbines so I am going back to a longer barrel and brake.

I think if I exclusively cared about USPSA I would probably keep the ULW. If I was setting up a steel gun I would absolutely run the ULW.

Sweet. I'm definately more focused on Steel Challenge at the moment so I believe I made the right move by ordering the barrel.  Thanks

This is why weight came up for me.  My PCC started at 6lbs 7.5oz(with 8oz optic).  I was shooting Steel Challenge with my 41rd mag loaded to 35 rounds.  I hit a plateau after 2 matches of not bettering my times.  Stuck with all A class times.  Something needed to change.  I then loaded my 19rd mags to 17rds each.  I improved 3 of my times and went to Master class in Roundabout.  Seeing the drastic improvement after the lighter mags I decided to order the CF handguard and stock.  I love the way the gun feels now and have only shot it in an Outlaw Steel match.  It sits at 5lb 11.5oz now with optic.  I will try the ULW barrel and do some testing at the range to test double taps, groups etc.  Hopefully we get to shoot this Saturday so I can do some real world Steel Challenge testing before the ULW barrel.  With the ULW barrel it will weigh in at  5lbs 4.5oz with optic and 4lbs 12.5oz without.  This isn't the only class I shoot.  I also regularly shoot RFRO in Steel Challenge with a 4lb 8.5oz 15/22 and I shoot Production in USPSA.  As soon as I SBR my Kriss Vector I will have that available too.  I think it will be badass for USPSA being it is sooooo short and compact!

Most top shooters use a separate mag for each string. That makes the gun’s starting weight the same for every string, and keeps unnecessary weight down. I use six 10 round mags and load after each stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk