Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How clean is your bench?

Paulie

How tidy do you keep your station and bench? I’m curious about dust, spilled powder, debris, etc.

Say on scale of 1-10 with basic mile markers below. 

10-  Immaculate- Intel could make chips at my bench. 

7.5 Very clean. Frequently dust and always collect spilled powder even if it’s a single granule. 

5 Moderate. Clean every few sessions or if dust / powder accumulates. 

2.5 As- needed to prevent major accumulation...don’t feel the need very often. 

0- Meh. Time is for shooting, not housekeeping. 

I’m in my garage and also do wood work there so dust is an issue more than spills. Curious what you guys do...

7.5. I always clean after reloading. My reloading room is also my music room where I keep my guitars and amps. I also have my stereo and turntable so I can play my vinyl records while reloading or doing any gun maintenance.

Edited by George16

I am also in the garage and my other hobbies (like woodworking) make dust and clutter. People ask me what I make in my shop and my typical response is “mostly sawdust”.  I have the press mounted permanently on one end of the bench and it is covered with a canvas bag between sessions.  All the reloading stuff is modular.  One box of common gear that is used for all calibers goes from the metal filing cabinet to the bench, then caliber specific components come from the filing cabinet as needed.

after every session everything goes back into the filing cabinet and the bench and the reloading area is blown off with an air hose or a bench brush.  

I would rate mine about 2.5 as there is always a project or two cluttering up the bench and dust builds up in the corners and under things. 

2 hours ago, Rustygun said:

I am also in the garage and my other hobbies (like woodworking) make dust and clutter. People ask me what I make in my shop and my typical response is “mostly sawdust”.  I have the press mounted permanently on one end of the bench and it is covered with a canvas bag between sessions.  All the reloading stuff is modular.  One box of common gear that is used for all calibers goes from the metal filing cabinet to the bench, then caliber specific components come from the filing cabinet as needed.

after every session everything goes back into the filing cabinet and the bench and the reloading area is blown off with an air hose or a bench brush.  

I would rate mine about 2.5 as there is always a project or two cluttering up the bench and dust builds up in the corners and under things. 

Do you run your shop vac with a dust catch water bucket? I’m looking at building one to save my filters and cut down fine dust. 

I do my level best to maintain a 7.5 but life (which rhymes with wife) keeps it around a 2.5. 

2.5 for me means, I can get all my work done and find my tools with minor effort, but I’d be ashamed to let anybody else see it in this state.  

Edited by jkrispies

2.5 for me. If it is not a night I load on, I will go in and clean it up from time to time. When I load that is all I focus on and close up shop right away. It is easier for me to walk away since it is in a shed and not a room in the house.

I'd have to clean mine off to even see if there was a bench under all the stuff.

Ditto, my bench is a lot like my Glock. It only gets cleaned when it stops working, which is practically never.

Maybe like a 6? Painting the surface of my bench a gloss black was the best/worst thing I've done as now it shows powder whenever I drop any. I guess I could use all AutoComp and no WST and then it would just blend in?

I keep mine clean probably around a 7.5. My bench top is a piece of laminate counter top we tore out before we had granite installed. It makes for very easy cleaned up between reloading sessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/9/2018 at 11:25 PM, George16 said:

7.5. I always clean after reloading. My reloading room is also my music room where I keep my guitars and amps. I also have my stereo and turntable so I can play my vinyl records while reloading or doing any gun maintenance.

Same situation with me.

My bench is in a spare room that's also our music room and my home office 2 days a week, so it's not a dedicated space for reloading.  There's no live ammo in that room (my own rule), and I try to keep it as clean as possible so I can be as efficient as possible when reloading.  It's usually 7.5, but sometimes will get down to the 5 range (but never below).

Since I have a Lee loadmaster for .40 and a Lee pro 1000 for 9mm, my bench is always covered in tools, crushed primers I had to dig out, finished cartridges with sideways primers, and spilled powder from the cartridges that didn't prime successfully. I figure on about 8% wasted components. And a mess. But the cartridges that make it through primed shoot great! I include a pic just so you guys can feel better about your own setup. 9e7880f1116573bbb0f13d983764c457.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk