Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 basepads - springer or shock bottle?

f150mikey57

Been looking into getting some base pads for my shadow 2 production setup and have narrowed it to springer precision or shock bottle. I have never used aftermarket basepads before so was wondering others thoughts, opinions, and experiences with both brands. Which do you like and why or why not? It seems like most guys in my area are going for the shock bottle so I have been able to put my hands on those but no experience with the springers so any info you guys can provide will be appreciated, thanks.

I guess I should have added another question in there. Why do people decide to use aftermarket base pads over the ones that come on the mags? Seems to me most people like a little extra to grab during a mag change and the extra weight helps them drop free a little easier so correct me if I am wrong on this. I think the biggest benefit to me would be the little bit of extra weight but still kind of wondering if they are worth getting at all or just sticking with the factory ones that come on the mags.

I would avoid the Shock Bottle base pads - they allow for overinsertion if you shoot to slide lock.

Shock bottle is supposed to send me a prototype of a new design, as it seems it's an issue they are aware of. I'm dubious if that will really happen.

20 minutes ago, Nayr said:

I would avoid the Shock Bottle base pads - they allow for overinsertion if you shoot to slide lock.

Shock bottle is supposed to send me a prototype of a new design, as it seems it's an issue they are aware of. I'm dubious if that will really happen.

Good to know. I have noticed they leave a bit of a gap from other posts I have seen but even though we shouldn't shoot to slide lock sometimes it does happen.

1 minute ago, f150mikey57 said:

Good to know. I have noticed they leave a bit of a gap from other posts I have seen but even though we shouldn't shoot to slide lock sometimes it does happen.

Yea, it just wasn't a risk I was willing to take, especially when I don't really need them for additional capacity.

I've used base pads from Springer, shockbottle, and CZ Custom.  The shockbottle pads do allow for over insertion at slide lock which can make an oops moment worse.  I never really had any issues with the springer pads but I prefer the ones from CZ and use those.

Neither, Henning Group basepads are the best! Shockbottle would be my second choice and springer 3rd.

I had shockbottles on my stock 2 mags and they work well, but looks like there is a slight issue with the over-insertion with them on the cz. Springer's are huge!!!! They are way too big for what they are. The Henning's are small and the basepad doesn't push into your palm like the others, after shooting them for about 8 months I definitely prefer them over the others. 

Edited by Prov1x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, robchavous said:

I had a problem with the Springer ones fitting the Production box on a Shadow 2.  I've got some Henning basepads that should be here tomorrow to try out. 

I had been using the Henning on my shadow 2 for about three months now without any problems.

• 1 month later...