Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wet tumbling nickle plated brass

taco2000

Hi Guys, 

just wondering if you do anything different than wet tumbling the brown brass. coz I see my friend tumbled nickle brass are not as shiny as before after wet tumbling.

Thanks,

Hi Guys, 

just wondering if you do anything different than wet tumbling the brown brass. coz I see my friend tumbled nickle brass are not as shiny as before after wet tumbling.

Thanks,

I tumble both brass and nickel plated using the same recipe of dawn dish soap and lemishine. Both come out really shiny. After I finish loading I run my rounds through my vibratory tumbler for about 5-10 minutes and they look better than factory ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, taco2000 said:

Thanks guys! 

my wet tumbler is arriving tomorrow. I am gonna give a shot with Dawn and limeshine.

I notice that most problems people have with discolored brass (nickel or not) is failure to rinse the brass completely after tumbling.

On 4/10/2018 at 6:36 AM, Tom S. said:

I notice that most problems people have with discolored brass (nickel or not) is failure to rinse the brass completely after tumbling.

I agree.

I was in a rush once and didn't thoroughly rinse a load of 9mm and the cases were sticking like crazy in the dies.  After about 10 rounds I threw them all back in for another clean/rinse and chalked it up to a lesson learned.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I agree.

I was in a rush once and didn't thoroughly rinse a load of 9mm and the cases were sticking like crazy in the dies.  After about 10 rounds I threw them all back in for another clean/rinse and chalked it up to a lesson learned.

That happened to me once, I had a batch of 9mm in my frankford wet tumble and forgot to take them out after the spin cycle. They had this green sticky film on them and it was a struggle to get them cleanish to even run through the press. So now I set an alarm on my phone so I don't have to go through that again.

• 3 weeks later...

If he is using the stainless pins as media and tumbles for extended lengths of time it is possible to wear the nickel plating off or at least some of it off.  This gives it a brushed/dull appearance.  

On 4/9/2018 at 1:40 AM, taco2000 said:

I see my friend tumbled nickle brass are not as shiny as before after wet tumbling.

Too much lemishine will definitely cause the cases to be dull (either nickel plated or brass ones) and in my experience they tend to be stickier.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:00 PM, SilverBolt said:

If he is using the stainless pins as media and tumbles for extended lengths of time it is possible to wear the nickel plating off or at least some of it off.  This gives it a brushed/dull appearance.  

I've tumbled thousands of nickle plated brass and have never wore off the nickle plating. I have, however, worn off the coating that browning uses on their black casings, which makes the casing look like a black/silver hybrid case. This happened to every one of those casings I tumbled in their very first tumbling. 

On 5/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, muncie21 said:

Too much lemishine will definitely cause the cases to be dull (either nickel plated or brass ones) and in my experience they tend to be stickier.

Too much lemishine will also give the brass a pinkish hue. Ask me how I know....