Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nayr's Lawg

Nayr

As the season ramps up here in Iowa, I've decided to start logging my live and dry fire training as well as my matches to better gauge my progress.

I'm currently a Production shooter in C Class - classed at 59.86% a few weeks ago, which I'm still butthurt about.

Shot my first USPSA match late last year after a year or so messing around in IDPA. Got tired of IDPA's rules and overall structure, and found USPSA and have loved it since.

Current blaster is a CZ Shadow 2.

Dry Fire 4/8/2018
60 mins

These are practiced as laid out in Stoeger's Dry Fire: Reloaded book. I'm very limited on space atm, so I'm probably a little short of 7 yards distance with the scaled down targets I'm using.

Draws - .95 par time
-Having trouble finding front sight on these before the par time ends. Needs more work.

Trigger control at speed
-issues with hand cramping. This one will take time to master, but is probably most important at this point.

Reloads from first pouch
1.3 seconds par time
Achieving this roughly 40% of the time. Struggling with my reloads in practice for some reason lately. I've recently switched from empty mag practice to using weighted dummy rounds, so that's probably part of it.

Burkett load
.8 second par time
Just a few of these. Was able to hit this 90% of the time

Finished up with some transition work after drawing from the holster.

Next local match is Tuesday evening, provided the weather cooperates.

Dry Fire 4/9/2018
30 mins

Dry fires under speed (double action)
Still pulling to the right slightly. Need to work on grip

Reloads from first pouch
1.2 second par time
Getting there. Too slow to get my hand on the mag pouch

Burkett/Insertion drill
.6 second par time
-not beating the second buzzer by the time it goes off.
.7 second par time
-still working. Getting there. Need to drop mag AND find magazine pouch simultaneously.

Draws from wrists above shoulders.

Local USPSA Match 4/11/2018

Terrible match yesterday. Dead last in production. My stage plan fell apart a bit on the first stage - had some issues where I hit multiple targets with 4 shots as I didn't plot out where I would hit certain targets. Definitely something to work on.

Second stage was brutal - had multiple issues with me either not letting go of the mag release after dropping a mag, and thus dropping a fresh mag, or bumping my mag release after the reload. Not exactly sure of the problem, but it ruined my stage.

Third stage would have been okay if I didn't FTE one target.

The transition to indoor matches to outdoor has been brutal. The good news is the hits were there and I had no issues engaging longer distance targets. Also felt like my DA trigger control was where it needed to be.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/af90731c-f483-4e3f-9edf-83880578bb6a?q_division=5

Looking at the match results, it appears points and stage planing are two big issues.  Keep dry firing but try setting up mini stages, 5-8 targets with 2 shooting areas if possible.  Visualize and memorize your stage plan, just like in a match.  Run it a few times, change it up and do it again.