Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for PCC

I recently completed my PCC and wanted to start relaoding for it. I watched the video JP put out about squibs in PCC barrels and have a few questions. For starters my upper has a 10.5" barrel, can I use my satandard production load without the risk of squibs? My production load is a 125 gr SNS round nose over 3.7gr of Titegroup, and is around 130pf. I'm not against developing a load for my PCC but would like to keep it simple and only have 1 9mm load. I have Titegroup, Power Pistol, Unique and HS-6 available, also what bullet weight do you prefer and why? Thanks for any advice. 

Nathan

I recently completed my PCC and wanted to start relaoding for it. I watched the video JP put out about squibs in PCC barrels and have a few questions. For starters my upper has a 10.5" barrel, can I use my satandard production load without the risk of squibs? My production load is a 125 gr SNS round nose over 3.7gr of Titegroup, and is around 130pf. I'm not against developing a load for my PCC but would like to keep it simple and only have 1 9mm load. I have Titegroup, Power Pistol, Unique and HS-6 available, also what bullet weight do you prefer and why? Thanks for any advice. 

Nathan
The longer barrel will produce a faster velocity than your pistol on the same load.

I use both a 147 and a 124 load. Both work well. Personally, I find anything under 3gr of Titegroup to be sluggish. Currently I use 3.2/147 and 3.2/125 out of my 16" barrel.

Both produce similar dot return. The 125 is softer on the shoulder.

The 147 is close to 150pf. The 125 is about 132.

Out of my ULW the 147 is around 140 and the 125 around 120.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just got back from testing a few loads. All out of a 16 inch barrel, 1.16 OAL, averages out of 10 rounds.

124 gr xtreme round nose

3.4 g  titegroup 1047 fps 

3.6 g titegroup 1114 fps 

4.3 g power pistol 1076 fps 

5.1 g power pistol 1222 fps

5.4 g power pistol 1251 fps

4.7 g wsf 1204 fps

147 gr xtreme round nose

4.5 g power pistol 1052 fps

To me, titegroup shot better than PP.  Seemed to cycle a bit faster and a tad quieter.  WSF, I thought was the loudest of the 3 powders.  I will be refining some of these loads and retesting again, but thought I’d post these up if it helps. YMMV

I have tried 2.8gr to 4.1gr of Titegroup with several 115gr and 124gr bullets out of two different 16" barrels.  The results out of both barrels (velocity and accuracy) were nearly identical. I ended up settling on 3.3gr of Titegroup and 124gr X-Treme plated RN bullets (OAL of 1.155" and Crimped at 0.377").

What I learned was that 115gr bullets (in general) were more accurate; this required 3.8gr of TG.  This load produces a sharper recoil impulse and, even though the dot movement was not "severe", it was still more noticeable than using the 3.3gr of TG with 124gr bullets that I use now.  Yes, this means that I have to give up a bit of accuracy but this load still produces acceptable results out to 50yds.  I will, however, add that if I was shooting an outlaw match that required shooting targets past 50yds, I would switch to shooting 115gr MG JHP which were (in my case) the most accurate bullets I tested.

Bellow is a rested 10-shot group at 50yds using the 115gr MG & 3.8gr TG load. The taped shots were with PMC ammo.

IMG_20170318_134919.jpg.180eba70dcbdbf832c56c1f6cad8b01f.jpg

...and this is the 124gr X-Treme with 3.3gr of TG but only at 30yds.

IMG_20180404_154840.jpg.fd84ba16588e1cb0d9507eeea50dbc3e.jpg

Edited by Cy Soto
Added photo.

I currently use 3.6grains Win Super Field and 135 Bayou polymer coated LRN.... out of my G34 produces a 132pf, and 145pf out of my 16" PCC... I shoot a monthly outlaw match with 12" targets at about 90yds typically at one stage... I perceive better accuracy with the longer bearing surface of heavier bullets

L9x25 has me trying some 95 grain FMJ with WSF, just in case

edit... got a chance to test the 95s for accuracy... indoor range off a bag at 90yd with 1.5 ACOG 5 shot into about 4"... at 25yd braced 5 into approx 1"

Edited by Les Snyder

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will try my current load and go from there based on the data above. I forgot to add in my op that I plan on using mine for outlaw steel matches, 2x4 division and plinking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the range, shot 300 rounds of my production load 3.7gr TG 125gr sns rn through my pcc.  It ran flawlessly no issues. Pretty flat and accurate with plenty of power to knockover poppers and hard set steel. 

I have a friend that gave me 10 rounds that he shot in the past match. I was 147 blue bullet over what he said as 3.2 of 231.  I have been shooting factory federal 115's  and I could tell the difference.