Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I made a few squib rods last year for PCC.  Sold them at my local club for cost and kept one.  6' piece of 5/16" brass makes 3 and gives you a leftover piece for a pistol squib rod.

This^

When I was getting a new 9mm load started on my 650 I goofed up something and loaded about 2 dozen rds without any powder into a big bin that already had a few hundred rds loaded.

Bought a length of brass rod. Cut to a tad over barrel length. Rounded off cut edges. Problem solved...

9 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I made a few squib rods last year for PCC.  Sold them at my local club for cost and kept one.  6' piece of 5/16" brass makes 3 and gives you a leftover piece for a pistol squib rod.

This ^^^.  Mine came shorter, perfect to cut one for PCC and leave one for pistol.

3 hours ago, nheiny13 said:

I had a flag that came on a wooden dowel that is about 18" long. I took off the flag and the dowel was the perfect diameter and length to use as a squib rod

You may regret wood if you actually have to use it.

6 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

This ^^^.  Mine came shorter, perfect to cut one for PCC and leave one for pistol.

You may regret wood if you actually have to use it.

Why is that? I've used it several times, not for squibs, but for bullets that got stuck in the rifling and I pulled the case off when trying to extract it. 

8 hours ago, nheiny13 said:

Why is that? I've used it several times, not for squibs, but for bullets that got stuck in the rifling and I pulled the case off when trying to extract it. 

Wood has a couple problems.  The worst is it is softer than the bullet and conforms to its shape or only part of it.  This can give uneven pressure forcing the bullet unevenly against the rifling.  Also. Wood can splinter and force small pieces between the bullet and the rifling.  It also takes more pounding to dislodge the squib because the wood is absorbing some of the hit and transferring the force and vibration to other parts of the gun.  With brass, most of the time I haven’t even had to tap the rod, the weight of the rod does it if it’s just on the lands when dealing with a round loaded too long.  But....it’s your stuff, so do what ya like.