Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
apetrulis01

Where to sight Open Shotgun dot?

Getting a Dissident Arms shotgun. Going with a 3 moa Vortex Venom. What is the best way to sight it in. Go off the slugs or a certain distance with the birdshot?

Thanks for the advice.

Adam

I zero my 1300fps slugs at 25yd and that gives me a min max of just under 2" out to 100yd.   Then test birdshot on a plate rack at varies distances.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:53 PM, NMBOpen said:

I zeroed for 50y slugs.

This, puts my dot perfect for birdshot at all common distances. Slug hits pretty much point of aim out to 100 yards.

gerritm

18 hours ago, actionshooter said:

Joelogic.... With the slugs zeroed @ 25, where do you find the dot to be with shot?

I never patterned the shot.  I just know it knocks over steel and busts clays holding dead on,  then again I'm shooting cylinder.

Don't know how a Sagia shoots, but our MKA 1919's we "zero" shot at 20 yds, slugs are good at 100yds

I always zeroed at 25 with slugs but of course checked them at 50, 75, 100 and 125 yards to at least have some idea of how much drop you will see at those distances.  another thing to consider is what slugs you are using.  Some of the heavier and slower ones will of course have a little more drop.  The 7/8 aero slug always worked well for me......worth a look if you haven't tried them.

What about using a 7.5 DPP and sighting the slugs in at the apex of the traingle and using the entirety of the trainge for birdshot?

On 1/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, Adamj said:

What about using a 7.5 DPP and sighting the slugs in at the apex of the traingle and using the entirety of the trainge for birdshot?

that's what i run on my Dissident and i first tried it like that with federal 1300fps slugs zerod to the tip at about 20 yds but found my birdshot pattern surprisingly low at my first match, so i turned down the elevation to match bird better as it's 95% of the targets at my local matches.  so i checked zero over varying distances out to 100yds to understand the POI over the triangle, in my case about 6" high at its peak, but the nice thing is the triangle shape gives you a very nice alignment tool to center up on the target so long as you know your POA/POI.

Slugs at 50 yds. I use Federal Tru-ball @ 1300fps. Know the ballistics at 100yds. Probably about 3" diff. If slugs are on, the bird shot should be close.