Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to sight Open Shotgun dot?

18 hours ago, actionshooter said:

Joelogic.... With the slugs zeroed @ 25, where do you find the dot to be with shot?

I never patterned the shot.  I just know it knocks over steel and busts clays holding dead on,  then again I'm shooting cylinder.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I always zeroed at 25 with slugs but of course checked them at 50, 75, 100 and 125 yards to at least have some idea of how much drop you will see at those distances.  another thing to consider is what slugs you are using.  Some of the heavier and slower ones will of course have a little more drop.  The 7/8 aero slug always worked well for me......worth a look if you haven't tried them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, Adamj said:

What about using a 7.5 DPP and sighting the slugs in at the apex of the traingle and using the entirety of the trainge for birdshot?

that's what i run on my Dissident and i first tried it like that with federal 1300fps slugs zerod to the tip at about 20 yds but found my birdshot pattern surprisingly low at my first match, so i turned down the elevation to match bird better as it's 95% of the targets at my local matches.  so i checked zero over varying distances out to 100yds to understand the POI over the triangle, in my case about 6" high at its peak, but the nice thing is the triangle shape gives you a very nice alignment tool to center up on the target so long as you know your POA/POI.

• 6 months later...