Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling a slide for CO or get an MOS?

Tattoo

Hey all,

Thinking of shooting Carry Optics and wondered what most guys are doing for the optic?  Is milling a slide for a Deltapoint better than just getting a Glock MOS?  It seems like maybe you could get the optic lower if you milled it?  Or does it not really matter how low it is?  Thanks

T

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't/doesn't matter enough! you're talking about .200 + or -, don't think it will make it that much better

My MOS was fine and no discernable difference between my 17 that is milled and the 34 MOS .

I'd spend the mill money on front serrations once you're sure you are going to keep shooting C/O

13 minutes ago, Tattoo said:

Hey all,

Thinking of shooting Carry Optics and wondered what most guys are doing for the optic?  Is milling a slide for a Deltapoint better than just getting a Glock MOS?  It seems like maybe you could get the optic lower if you milled it?  Or does it not really matter how low it is?  Thanks

T

I'm in the same boat, I want one with a optic I have a 34 and a 17 and really don't want to buy another pistol but don't know if it's better to get one milled or buy a mos model seems to me it would be a lot cheaper to get one of them milled. Has any of y'all went this route and who is the best at milling one and what does it cost?

Milling is better in all aspects except for flexibility in using different optics.  If you are thinking about experimenting with different dots, then MOS makes sense.  If you know you are going to run a DPP, probably best dot for CO, then get it milled.  Primary Machine is an excellent choice for milling slides, their process is the most precise and robust.  

I just got back a slide from primary machine, the work and time frame were excellent.  I didn’t want to mill my g17 slide so I purchased a aftermarket g17 slide from brownells for 150 bucks.  I sent that slide and my dpp optic to them and they turned it around in just over 3 weeks.  I opted for the front serrations and optic package with the nitride finish, and they put rear serrations for free.  Couldn’t be more happy.  I’ve got about 300 rounds thru it with no problems.

I have two p-320's a compact and a full size which I had to send back for the update and after the update sig sends a 25% discount card for ordering stuff from the sig store. So my son has a compact and he wants to buy my full size upper which sets me up pretty good for ordering a full size kit with a co from sig. Between selling my upper and the 25% discount code from sig I'm getting me a upper with a carry optic at a pretty good price. Don't know how good the sig carry optic is but this is my frist round with co.  Thanks for all the advice .

• 3 weeks later...

I put a springer precision dovetail mount on my 34 so I could try out carry optics. I figured this was the cheapest way to test it. If you get the slide milled you are stuck with it. If you notice on the MOS version the dovetail for the rear sight is set very back of the slide. This means a lot of aftermarket rear sights will hang off the rear of the slide. I've got about 3k through mine with the dovetail mount and haven't had any loss of zero. I shot mine up against a buddy who has the same dot on an MOS and the height difference between mine and his made no difference in my ability to pick up the dot. I'm going to stick with it the way I have it until I see a reason to do otherwise. You may want to give it a shot too. 

I've done the same with a Dueck Defense dovetail mount for my Deltapoint. It came with a front sight post. I added the Deltapoint rear sight and zeroed it to cowitness below the red dot. The sight radius is short but adequate for backup.

Here's my experience with the mos and milled qith. The mos after a days match the mos plates started to rattle loose. No good if you're in a match and the darn thing flies off. I had a slide on my glock 19 Milled specifically for my rmr and I tell you what it was a nice tight fit. If anything would just buy an aftermarket slide with it milled already

Get a MOS to try if you’re not sure about carry optics in general or your optic in particular. If/when you settle on an optic I think you’ll want to mill. I tried CO on a M&P CORE, got hooked, switched to Glock and now I have 4 slides milled for RMRs. 2 by Jagerwerks and 2 by Primary Machine. I love my Jagerwerks slides but I think I’d recommend Primary Machine for the custom fit pocket. 

On 5/1/2018 at 11:02 PM, awmp said:

Buddy just got a G34 and had it milled, turned out great. As mentioned the MOS does leave the optic just a little higher. Your call, good luck.

Do you know who did the milling?

4 tiny screws with little purchase vs 2 longer screws with more purchase to hold optic on...with MOS adapter plates, you're anchoring the plate to the slide with 2 screws, then dot to plate with 2 more short screws...they work loose, and then you have to remove dot to tighten MOS plate. With milled, you only have 2 screws to manage, and they're readily accessible for tightening.

Anytime you try and do a lot things to cover a wide range of options its never as good as one thing for one option.  MOS plates work for the most part but there is no way that’s it’s as strong or as good as a mill job cut  for the optic.  That optic goes through hell on that slide and I want it to be as solid as it can be.  Of course it’s always about the money.  If you have the funds and want a good solid strong mount get your slide milled, otherwise you have no other choice but to go the mos route, which is fine, but you may have to to certain things to accommodate it’s shortcomings.

If you decide to go with MOS... DO NOT use Loctite on the screws!  Last night I was getting a pair of G19MOS' ready to sell...removed optic and plate from one, no problem.  2nd gun had been coming loose while shooting, so had used Loctite on all 4 screws... holy smokes... almost ruined the dot getting it off, but at least those screws use decent size bits.  The MOS plate was almost impossible to remove, broke 5 tiny Torx T6 bits before resorting to Dremel, cut slots across top of each screw and finally removed with a flathead screwdriver.  NO LOCTITE!

• 1 month later...

Prefer my Dueck Defense dovetail mount (referenced earlier in this thread) which includes a built in front sight. Using a Deltapoint you can add the rear sights creating a set of back up irons. They come with models compatible with several common red dots.