Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
jodonnell4

xl650 Casefeeder Deforming Brass

I am new to the xl650. Have switched over from my 550RL.

I am experiencing brass deformation from the case feeder.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?

Using 9mm mixed brass lubed with one shot in the casefeeder.

Thank you.

20180408_003020_resized.jpg

That looks more like its hit the lip of the sizing die. I have had that occur on occasion on one side of the case but not both ? Do you know or have you seen where the case feeder is doing that to them. How many is that happening to?

2 hours ago, metalicat30 said:

That looks more like its hit the lip of the sizing die. I have had that occur on occasion on one side of the case but not both ? Do you know or have you seen where the case feeder is doing that to them. How many is that happening to?

I would agree.  Are you sure that cases are fully seated in station 1 before entering the sizing die?

13 minutes ago, jodonnell4 said:

They appear to arrive to die one deformed from the casefeeder.

That’s just not likely.

Had one like that last night, I chalked it up to missing the Lee sizing die. Highly doubt it is happening in the case feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the clutch in the case feeder, I sincerely doubt it can deform brass.

That looks like a downward force from a ba or circle was applied, not from the case feeder.

Agree that the standard casefeeder doesnt have the ooompf to cause that damage.

Its either happening to the brass before it goes into the casefeeder, or its happening when the case doesnt get seated fully into station one and the sizing die hits the top of it on the downstroke of the handle.

5 hours ago, jodonnell4 said:

They appear to arrive to die one deformed from the casefeeder.

I would take 10 non damaged and run them thru while watching in the bowl of the case feeder to find the issue.  

That’s just not possible for the case feeder to do that damage. Likely like other members said jamming in die. Just had to send my press back cause I was having cases jam into die every 4-5 rds. Other possibility could be the case was already damaged when you put it into the casefeed hopper. 

I have had this issue. The case wasn't pushed all the way in the sizing, decape die. 99.9% sure it wouldn't be the case feeder. Only happened a couple times. Wrote it off to me.

That’s just not likely.

Yep, they might arrive in station 1 with the damage but that damage would already be on the case when you dumped them in the collator, if that’s the case (no pun intended).

I agree with all responses, case feeder too weak to do that. I found it the follower that pushes the case into the shell plate loses spring tension the case won't set home. New spring and or clean assembly.

13 hours ago, AJDalton said:

I agree with all responses, case feeder too weak to do that. I found it the follower that pushes the case into the shell plate loses spring tension the case won't set home. New spring and or clean assembly.

Try backing the cam follower rod up a little so the case feed arm pushes the case in a little further. That’s a easy fix instead of changing stuff. It maybe be it just needs re adjusting. 

It may need adjusting the cam follower rod. It seems the cases are not deforming on sizing die by being deformed by casefeeder body bushing..

Almost like two cases are arriving and one is being hit by the body bushing on the up stroke.

Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, jodonnell4 said:

It may need adjusting the cam follower rod. It seems the cases are not deforming on sizing die by being deformed by casefeeder body bushing..

Almost like two cases are arriving and one is being hit by the body bushing on the up stroke.

Any suggestions?

Can you post some pictures of the spot on the press where you think this is occurring ?

7 hours ago, jodonnell4 said:

Any suggestions?

Put empty case on cam arm slide. Push handle up like you priming and pushing case into shell plate. If it doesn’t push case all the way into shell plate with no gap on shell plate side than turn the cam follower counter clockwise till it pushes case all the way into shell plate. Once this is done tighten nut but watch and test again with case because when you tighten nut to lock down cam follower it will back off a bit so repeated times maybe be necessary to get it right. 

Also if the case arm pushes the case to far into shell plate you will see the case feed arm bind up and twist as you prime and push case into shell plate. If this twisting occurs you have to turn follower clockwise so the arm backs out a little. Then just redo process above to check to see if case is being pushed in right. It should be pushed into the shell plate all the way back to where the arm isn’t binding at all. 

More or less of each of these things will result in case not being in shell plate properly and when ram is raised will hit the resizing die and be crushed or damaged. If it’s out a little you won’t notice damaged till it’s to late and rotated around on shell plate. 

Edited by Dirtchevy841