Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need the Shotgun Gurus

JBOT5000

My Benelli M2 developed a bad case of the Benelli "click" at my last match.  I changed the recoil spring tonight to an extra power and noticed that what appears to be a couple dents on the side of the barrel.  The ejector seems to get stuck in it every so often instead while working the bolt back and forth and not going fully into battery.  When I pull the trigger the bolt and ejector will fully rotate into position.  Can someone take a look at this and let me know if something seems off.  I'm also including a video of the problem.

Thanks!

JF

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7558.JPG

IMG_7561.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fighting the same issue with my Benelli M1 Super 90. Your video shows the exact issue where the bolt isn't rotating into battery until you pull the trigger. You can see the extractor is at the 3 o'clock position instead of the fully locked 1 o'clock position after you pull the trigger. Anything that causes the bolt to short stroke seems to keep the bolt from fully rotating into battery. I hate resetting the bolt with the knee on the butt stock. It looks kinda cool but sure eats up time. 

I've cleaned the bolt lugs and races in the barrel, changed all the springs including the inertia spring and polished the surfaces on/in the bolt and the recoil spring tube to allow the bolt to move freely. None of those things made it 100% reliable. 

My latest attempt is to stone polish the extractor cut in the barrel where the face of the extractor rotates from 3 to 1 o'clock against the barrel cut. I haven't run enough ammo through the gun yet to know if that fixes the click.

Looking at your still pix again I see what appears to be a low spot in the extractor cut at the 3 0'clock position. If that's in there the extractor would have to climb up out of the low spot to rotate into battery. 

Edited by 72stick

Remove the bolt assembly, disassemble it, and check the cam pin for excessive wear or damage. Replace the cam if necessary, and make sure the cam pin and surrounding area is well lubed when you reinstall all the pieces.

34 minutes ago, GunCat said:

Remove the bolt assembly, disassemble it, and check the cam pin for excessive wear or damage. Replace the cam if necessary, and make sure the cam pin and surrounding area is well lubed when you reinstall all the pieces.

I keep the cam pin and bolt lubricated and I have removed the cam pin and inspected it. It has flats on each side that I thought were worn into the pin, but a new one has the same flats. What does an exceively worn pin look like? Is there a spec or limit for wear on this pin?

Thanks all.  I inspected everything.  Can pin, extractor, extractor pin, springs.  Etc.  i just packed it up and sent it off the C Rums who did the original work.  Hopefully I have a diagnosis soon.

JF