Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Load Starting Point - No PF Requirement

I've got a lot of experience loading sub-minor for our 9mm 1911 Steel Challenge guns, but just starting to work up potential loads for a CMMG 9mm guard.  Waiting on the upper, but recoil is supposed to be reduce.  For SC I've loaded N320/115gr Acme, WSF with both 124gr and 145gr (Acme) and currently loading 3.5grSP/115gr Acme.  Also have HP-38.  For the handguns fast powder/light bullets is the way to go but for a PCC what am I try to achieve other than cycling if power factor is not an issue?  Not a great premium on accuracy in SC although you don't want to throw it away unnecessarily.

Load the same as you do for your pistol with a light bullet and fast powder. I have a 98gr load that is sub minor for steel but your guard won't run as low a PF as a blowback will since it has to unlock the bolt then cycle the bolt. Also with the lower PF you may have to drop the buffer weight to prevent short stroking. 

20 minutes ago, bwikel said:

Load the same as you do for your pistol with a light bullet and fast powder. I have a 98gr load that is sub minor for steel but your guard won't run as low a PF as a blowback will since it has to unlock the bolt then cycle the bolt. Also with the lower PF you may have to drop the buffer weight to prevent short stroking. 

Thanks.  I'll work the PCC as I do any new load then, start in the "middle" and work my way down.  Sport Pistol will be very interesting as I found starting 10% below max (4.2gr) with the 115gr Acme bullets I'm able to cycle my 1911 at 3.4gr.  I'll probably start at 4.2 with the PCC as well.  I have a chrono, but I'm so darn busy it's hard to work it into our lengthy practices.

My PCC load for Steel challenge is 112pf.  I know a GM who runs a 96PF.  I'm currently ranked Master in steel challenge.  Personally, I don't see a huge difference between my 112pf load and a 130-135PF load.  With the right buffer, spring and bolt the recoil is nonexistent.  

Since were on the topic of loads again,  anyone happen to have a cooked up load for a PD 124g JHP with N320?    Looking to try a heavier JHP over the 115's I ran out of and a different powder comp since all I've ever loaded pcc rounds with was TG.   I have a GMR13 so my barrel is on the slow side.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:29 PM, jtrump said:

Since were on the topic of loads again,  anyone happen to have a cooked up load for a PD 124g JHP with N320?    Looking to try a heavier JHP over the 115's I ran out of and a different powder comp since all I've ever loaded pcc rounds with was TG.   I have a GMR13 so my barrel is on the slow side.

I run 125gr BBI over 3.3gr of N320 for 135PF.  OAL is 1.085 in my Faxon barrel.

2 hours ago, alvinsmith75 said:

I run 125gr BBI over 3.3gr of N320 for 135PF.  OAL is 1.085 in my Faxon barrel.

Thanks,  My barrel is fairly slow and I will probably load to 1.14,  gonna have to use a little more powder but that gives me a decent starting point.  

4.1 gr N320 for 124mgb, oal=1. 13".

jp gmr-15, 14.5". 

Ave. PF =137.6

Checked multiple times, multiple chrono and have consistent results. 

I might have a bad batch/lot of N320... 

Best chrono your loads as I have seen similar deviations with n3n38/n105 in the past. Best of luck 

18 hours ago, edwin garcia said:

4.1 gr N320 for 124mgb, oal=1. 13".

jp gmr-15, 14.5". 

Ave. PF =137.6

Checked multiple times, multiple chrono and have consistent results. 

I might have a bad batch/lot of N320... 

Best chrono your loads as I have seen similar deviations with n3n38/n105 in the past. Best of luck 

Will do,  I expect I will end up near your powder charge for n320, as it has always taken more powder than my TG loads.  Just wanted to get a good starting point.