Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WAC/AC temp sensitive?

SilverBolt

26 minutes ago, SilverBolt said:

Used up the last of our IMR-7625 for 9-Major and making the switch to WAC/AC for now.  Any temperature issues either hot or cold?

Not that I've noticed. I've been using AC for over 3 years and I load it to 172PF, never had it go below 170 at a number of majors. The temperature varied from around 40 degrees to over 100.

for me, 4.6 wac at 1.165 (40 200gr bbi) is 171.2pf at 70f. at 33f that exact same load, same batch and all was 166.4pf. both test batches were loaded at the same time and shot after one full mag was used to warm the gun up. i dont know if it would drop any further but i definitely get a drop in pf. 

15 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's a large frop (171 to 166).

BUT, different caliber, much lower quantity of powder ???

idk how it would be for different calibers. this was in 40. i will try it with my open loads as soon as it gets cold again.

1 minute ago, tcazes said:

idk how it would be for different calibers. this was in 40. i will try it with my open loads as soon as it gets cold again.

Well, looking for a possible explanation why you would find a large difference whereas

neither Bkreutz  nor Sprig (above) saw any difference from 40 F to 100 F.

Only difference in the equation is the caliber and amount of powder.    :) 

I use a LOT of WAC in 9mm Major, but never checked PF in cold weather. 

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Well, looking for a possible explanation why you would find a large difference whereas

neither Bkreutz  nor Sprig (above) saw any difference from 40 F to 100 F.

Only difference in the equation is the caliber and amount of powder.    :) 

I use a LOT of WAC in 9mm Major, but never checked PF in cold weather. 

i use it for 9 major and 40. i could definitely see powder charge making a difference since the higher i push my 9maj loads the smaller the sd gets and it seems to burn better. 7.1 is my go to and super consistent so maybe charge is the issue. i know at 4.6 its definitely a larger sd than at 7.1 lol

12 minutes ago, SilverBolt said:

I did my chrono testing at 38F.  7.2gr with a MG 124CMJ 1.17 OAL got me a 171PF from my open gun and a 168PF from my wife's.  These were 10 round averages.  

sooooooo. have you done it in warmer temps? did it change? thats the question here

17 minutes ago, tcazes said:

sooooooo. have you done it in warmer temps? did it change? thats the question here

Not yet.  Hoping in the next few weeks we have a warm spell so I can do additional testing.  I feel comfortable on the cold end that our load is good.  I know some powders have a negative affect in the heat.  Sounds like AC is pretty stable.

9 hours ago, echotango said:

Never noticed, chrono'd in all temps. Shoot from 25'-117'. 

Just to be safe, are you saying that you have chrono'd WAC rounds from

25 F. to 117 F. and that you have NOT observed any difference in PF ?

So, the plot thickens.    :huh:

We have three people (Bkreutz, Sprig and Echo) who have measured 

NO temperature variation with WAC,  and we have tcazes who has

chrono proof that a .40 load is temperature sensitive.

Can't wait for the final results on this one   :) 

We never get super cold weather down here in louisiana so when it snowed this year our rangemaster thought I was nuts but I looked like a kid in a candy store excited to go get some data. I chronoed a whole box of ammo that day lol. Sure enough at the next major match it got super cold and did the same thing so my .02 cents is my .02 cents but I sure trust it.

I've seen a variance of ~1-2 PF between 40*F and 85*F at chrono with the same ammunition - although the chrono I've used versus the chrono at a match are by different manufacturers (Caldwell Chrono vs. Competitive Edge Dynamics), so the variance is mostly just statistical noise.

Overall I do not believe WAC is temperature sensitive in any significant manner.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

So, the plot thickens.    :huh:

We have three people (Bkreutz, Sprig and Echo) who have measured 

NO temperature variation with WAC,  and we have tcazes who has

chrono proof that a .40 load is temperature sensitive.

Can't wait for the final results on this one   :) 

Plot is getting thicker   :)

Now we have five people who have measured no temp sensitivity

with WAC ....    ;)

I have to qualify my previous statement. I've noticed some of the comments about sensitivity were about very cold temps. I didn't notice that because my trigger finger quits working at 40 degrees. :wacko: