Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to install Taylor Freelance 9mm colt +10 extension

I can’t seem to find instructions. Does anyone have any tips on how to install the colt +10 extension for the colt mags? Any tips such as rounding the follower like Glock mags or nothing but naked spring in the extension, no baseplate? Also, certain mags seem to fit very tight. I only have about 3 out of about 7 that will actually go in and out of the gun easily. Any tips on which mags will fit the well the easiest? Right now I have metalform, c products, brownells (which have a steel follower). I have 2 c products and 1 metalform that fits. I want to get this Bushmaster Carbon 15 going!

thanks

Mag variation and function has always been an issue for me with the Colt setup.  I use UZI mags with the TF extensions.  I installed them with stock followers and naked springs and they work fine.  I have had nothing but issues with C Products mags so I don't use them.  My mags have steel followers.  I wish I could buy a Glock mag setup but I live in a crappy New England state that won't allow it.  My gun is an older RRA that has been rebuilt and upgraded several times.  I am very happy with the TF extensions!

Edited by MPrimo

Guys like Larry Seecamp, Virgil Tripp and and Taylor are great to work with.  Bought at TF extension and new spring. Only got to 41 rounds, called and found him like the others with their name on the product very receptive to helping.

Running Brownells mags on a Colt 6951 and getting 40+1.

I put a slight bevel on the bottom mag opening, on the inside of the basepad, and on the bottom edges of the follower.  Just because it couldn't hurt.  Haven't had an issue yet.

You'll have a little more room for rounds in the mag if you leave the spring baseplate off.

If the mags are tight, measure them.  They're almost always too wide front-to-back.  Hammer the rear edge on both sides of the rib until they drop free.

Edited by mahamoti

I did the naked spring and unmodified follower on a Brownells mag I got from the prize table No modification needed. However if your mag has a sharp angle on the tube then you may need to do a little polish work to smooth the transition from extension to mag body. I had to do this on my scorpion mag as the follower/spring would hang up after about 6-10 rounds and not feed.

Edited by WarrenZ

I just left the plate on and achieving the +10 without issue. The Brownells/Metalform followers require a little more “massaging” than the plastic ASC type followers, but 5 mins with a dremel tool with periodic fit checks does the trick! I used a wooden ruler to push the follower down to check for a smooth transition rather load/unload and repeat. Once it felt smooth, I proceeded to load up and test drive.

I don't know for sure if it matters but I purchased a  Wolff spring from TF with the Colt extension.

Attached to a Brownell's magazine I've gotten 40-41 rounds working without any issues.

I have not compared the standard length with the Wolff and don't have any way to compare spring pressure.

Just an FYI.

15 hours ago, Shorty4087 said:

I just left the plate on and achieving the +10 without issue. The Brownells/Metalform followers require a little more “massaging” than the plastic ASC type followers, but 5 mins with a dremel tool with periodic fit checks does the trick! I used a wooden ruler to push the follower down to check for a smooth transition rather load/unload and repeat. Once it felt smooth, I proceeded to load up and test drive.

What attachment on the dremel? A sanding wheel?

That or a non-ferrous grinding stone. I also used a dark marker on the inside of the extension corners to identify where the follower is making contact and worked those areas slowly to improve the chamfer and follower transition. Most of the work on MY extensions was performed on the back side where the lock screw is. Hope this helps and just take your time...

1 hour ago, Shorty4087 said:

That or a non-ferrous grinding stone. I also used a dark marker on the inside of the extension corners to identify where the follower is making contact and worked those areas slowly to improve the chamfer and follower transition. Most of the work on MY extensions was performed on the back side where the lock screw is. Hope this helps and just take your time...

Thanks. Can you show a pic or a link of the grinding wheel? I just wish this stuff was more plug and play. I’m not very patient, I just wanna shoot! :) 

35 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Thanks. Can you show a pic or a link of the grinding wheel? I just wish this stuff was more plug and play. I’m not very patient, I just wanna shoot! :) 

Any big box hardware store should have that Dremel type bit. You could also use a small jeweler’s file as well. I will shoot you a pic when I get home but it’s greenish in color..

Crud. Now I got the follower stuck in the extension while trying to load it up to test. The spring is compressed all the way down and I can’t even get the extension off anymore. I tried poking the follower with a stick to free it, but it won’t budge. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free up the follower so I don’t have to throw the whole thing in the trash?

4 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Crud. Now I got the follower stuck in the extension while trying to load it up to test. The spring is compressed all the way down and I can’t even get the extension off anymore. I tried poking the follower with a stick to free it, but it won’t budge. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free up the follower so I don’t have to throw the whole thing in the trash?

Unscrew the extension and slide it forward just enough (1/8") to stick a thin screwdriver in there and push up.  Happened to me a few times.   I've also turned the mag upside down and hit the bottom of the extension with a a hammer to dislodge it.

I can't get two shots. It jams after the 1st shot. I've tried stock springs and extended springs. Someone told me to try an MPX spring. I ordered one yesterday. I'll give that a try. I have the extended BP on two different mags and it does it with both.

Whole thing is getting frustrating.

How full did you load your mag?  Completely? The follower transitions twice, once as it enters as you load up and then again as you unload or fire them. I broke all sharp corners on both the top and bottom of the follower and polished them with fine grit sanding paper. Try loading a few less rounds to confirm function and build upon that...