Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for race holster recommendations for the 9mm gold team. I have been running a DAA X and have not had stellar results. Though constructed well, I seem to get alot of binding no matter how I have adjusted it. Hoping others can share their experiences and suggestions. I may go a different holster direction if things don't work out.

Thanks

AP

I couldn’t get the alpha X to work with mine. After countless hours wasted and one destroyed insert I sent it all back after all recommendations from DAA had been tried and failed to work on mine.

I use Guga Ribas now. No issues. Fully adjustable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had some issues with my alpha x holster for the gold team binding. If I where to draw from the holster outward away from my body just a little bit the gun would bind really bad, it would feel like the holster safety was still on. So after I figured out that the way I was drawing the gun was causing an issue I tried to be more deliberate in drawing it strait out of the holster or slightly in toward my body, again an extremely small amount and the holster ran great. I looked the insert over really good tried to get the gun to bind in the insert when it wasn't in the holster and it didn't seem to bind as bad but still was. In the end I ended up smoothing all the sharp edges of the insert where the trigger guard locked in and also smoothed out around the trigger guard on the gun, which wasn't a bad thing to do anyways since the edges are pretty shard to begin with in my opinion. It got better with doing that, it still has a little binding issue though not as bad and it keeps getting better the more I use it. I also draw slightly different now but the way I'm drawing the gun now actually feels more natural and smoother to me but with the amount of money the alpha x holster costs I would have hoped that there would be absolutely no issues with it.

2 tanfos, 1 of them is like butter, the other will not lock easily and is hard to draw, it's not any daily of DAA, more likely Tanfoglio.i hear a lot of people complain about the holster, but I have the similar situation with my revolver insert, both Smith & Wesson's. Just a little bit of smoothing out and you can get them to run fine. It's just like buying a race gun, you still have to modify something to make it run right.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Kurusty said:

2 tanfos, 1 of them is like butter, the other will not lock easily and is hard to draw, it's not any daily of DAA, more likely Tanfoglio.i hear a lot of people complain about the holster, but I have the similar situation with my revolver insert, both Smith & Wesson's. Just a little bit of smoothing out and you can get them to run fine. It's just like buying a race gun, you still have to modify something to make it run right.

My GTs trigger guard edges have all been smoothed. What do you suggest to be smoothed on the DAA X?

Mine is where the front of the trigger guard, under the frame. You can achieve the same thing by smoothing out the lock lever corner.

I forgot to see that it was actually 3 different Tanfos, my friend tried it with his gold team. Got stuck every time.

I would go with the Guga Ribas.  I have the TF Gold Team and I have tried the DAA several times in competition.  I tried to modify the insert to accommodate the large trigger guard on the TF.  There isn't much room for error when you draw from the DAA do to the angle that you draw the gun from can cause an interference problem.  I finally obtained a Guga Riba holster and with all of the adjustments you can obtain a smooth interference free draw.

The only thing DAA race holster require is a consistent one inch upward stroke on draw.

I use it from day one in this sport and it works every time.

4 different inserts - SV, TAN, TAN S3, CZ - for 8 guns for different sports.

Some inserts might require fitting due to the manufacturing variations in inserts and guns.

There is a plenty of meat to make it loose as much as you want it.

3 hours ago, arkadi said:

The only thing DAA race holster require is a consistent one inch upward stroke on draw.

I use it from day one in this sport and it works every time.

That is the same thing that I noticed, once I figured that out it works great.

I understand what is being described about the one inch upward stroke on the draw.  The problem I had was always moving into position from the start?  I guess I just needed to do more dry firing and practice to obtain the consistent form of muscle memory to eliminate the interference.    I appreciate the information.

IDK what is going on with the OP in particular, but I know I (like others here) had a little difficulty initially adjusting to the DAA holster after running kydex gun buckets.  As noted above, the first inch (or even less) of travel has to be "on-plane" and in-line with the allowed movement of the insert in the holster body.  If you're off-plane with your draw motion, it's gonna bind up.  

After a bit of work/practice focusing on a consistent motion, this became a total non-issue for me.  I haven't thought about it in a couple of years except for when people ask questions related to it.

Note: My gun is a Limited, but it should have the same frame/trigger guard as the Gold.  But with Tanfo tolerances, who really knows???

Edited by ATLDave

Everyone can have their own preference. I used the DAA holsters on several other types of guns and they were great. On the tanfoglio they required a perfect draw angle which for me was not realistic to the goals I have for the sport. So if you can live with the limitations they provide in this area then great. But there are other options without such limitations on the draw.

The issue I was having the holster would bind no matter how I pulled from it even doing so with holster in hand, removed from belt. It seems to have gotten alot better to almost no binding now. I adjusted the holster up higher to reduce leverage and torque and left it there. After several long  DF sessions and alot of internal wear (already) on the DAA block it now comes out smooth. In somewhat hindsight, I'd say it needs break in. I was a little disappointed I think because I may have expected too much right out of the gate. All my other holsters have been RHT so I was comparing the same release feeling they have. Which is excellent I'll add. I'm going to give it some time and more of a chance. 

Anyone else have a G R holster have an issue with setting off trigger?  I’ve adjusted this thing a million different ways, and can still hit trigger when inserting into holster.  

I’m kind of over this holster, anyone tried the ghost holster?  The one ? Or ultimate?  CrSpeed? 

Anyone else have a G R holster have an issue with setting off trigger?  I’ve adjusted this thing a million different ways, and can still hit trigger when inserting into holster.  
   I’m kind of over this holster, anyone tried the ghost holster?  The one ? Or ultimate?  CrSpeed? 

Curious on what exactly you are hitting the trigger on?

There is a 45 minute video from GR that goes over full setup of the holster and almost every direction and fitment area is adjustable. I set mine up once and it functions fine with all 6 of my Tanfo’s.

I can and ya a video, it’s basically hitting the top of holster as gun slides into lock.  So the top where the holster V’s if the I put gun in any angle it will trip trigger!  I’ve ran 6 matches this year no issues, the holster had a lil play in it so I was adjusting and ran into this issue. Now all is good with safety but still a major concern that it’s a possibility of a DQ or worse.  

On 4/6/2018 at 3:44 PM, ATLDave said:

IDK what is going on with the OP in particular, but I know I (like others here) had a little difficulty initially adjusting to the DAA holster after running kydex gun buckets.  As noted above, the first inch (or even less) of travel has to be "on-plane" and in-line with the allowed movement of the insert in the holster body.  If you're off-plane with your draw motion, it's gonna bind up.  

After a bit of work/practice focusing on a consistent motion, this became a total non-issue for me.  I haven't thought about it in a couple of years except for when people ask questions related to it.

Note: My gun is a Limited, but it should have the same frame/trigger guard as the Gold.  But with Tanfo tolerances, who really knows???

I just received one of these and after about two days of dry fire, it started binding. I was worried something was wrong with the holster, but it sounds more like something is wrong with the shooter... Thanks all!

Edited by ddolbee