Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about moving to a 1050 from a 650

The 1050 with the bullet feeder was a HUGE improvement over my previous loading on the 550B.  I loaded 1000 rounds in the same time that it used to take me to load 300.

But my most recent favorite thing is adding the Mark 7 autodrive to it.  Now I can let the press make ammo WHILE I case gauge.  I have to case gauge because the Tanfo is more sensitive to ammo variations than the glocks ever were.  With the autodrive making the ammo this is cutting my total ammo-making time in half once again.  Now it really is no big deal to load up primer tubes, lube some brass and load/case gauge 1000 rounds at a time.  I'll add the swagesense and bulletsense when I can in order to ensure a more reliable hand-off reloading process, but all in all I am extremely happy to not only have upgraded to the 1050 but to have added to autodrive.

It honestly can take more time for me to clean and lube the Tanfo and mags than it does to make and case-gauge 1000 rounds of ammo.  That's totally worth it in my opinion.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve done it: move from a 650 to a 1050.
I’d do it again, in a New York minute.
The downstroke priming on the 1050 is worth the price of admission, then there’s swaying!
I added the MBF to the 1050 and made it even better.
Yes, it can be a bit fiddly to get it set up, but it’s worth it.

12 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Wait till you do some caliber conversion.  :)

Not doing any caliber conversions! only loading 9mm. Still have a Square Deal B to play with for other things if need be. I know it is expensive and time consuming on the 1050. Thanks for the heads up. I think a 650 would have been just fine. But I am going to give the 1050 a shot and see how I like it. JD

Don't take me wrong - I am all for new toys!  :)  And 1050 is a very nice toy indeed!  :)  I am sure you are going to like it.  Just start by going slowly, and don't force it.  

One thing I would like to mention - when moving the handle up from the fully down position, you can sometimes hit what seems to be dead stop.  It could be caused by some brass not going readily into the shell plate.  Don't force it, just try to wiggle the case, and it will go in.

Also if the handle seems to bounce towards the bottom of the stroke instead of clearly bottoming out, check station 2.  You probably have a primer that got drawn back into the pocket from stage 1 which is now trying to get swaged.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, Sporky said:

Wow, not what I had in mind.  I was thinking that I could be in the room dry firing while it was doing the loading.

I don't leave my kids un monitored and I would do the same for the press.

Sheesh

I do this, ill run the machine while i dryfire next to it, and just check the press every so often to fill primers, brass and heads. Then Case gauge a round to make sure everything is still set and hasn't moved. Worst thing that can happen is pumping out 500 rds in 20 mins and they all don't gauge...haha

Edited by MrPan

On 10/3/2018 at 11:36 PM, JDIllon said:

Not doing any caliber conversions! only loading 9mm. Still have a Square Deal B to play with for other things if need be. I know it is expensive and time consuming on the 1050. Thanks for the heads up. I think a 650 would have been just fine. But I am going to give the 1050 a shot and see how I like it. JD

I recently purchased a 1050 after having started with a Hornady LNL AP about 14 months ago. Glad I skipped the 650 and went straight to the 1050. Awesome machine, makes me enjoy loading ammo again.

I wouldn't be too worried about the caliber changes and setup since you already handload on a different machine, you're familiar with the process. I would just suggest scheduling your loading to minimize caliber changes though. I'm loading all 9mm I'll need for a year, then all the 45 for the whole year, then switch to my .223 setup. It's also probably 1 hour to do a full caliber change, so it's really not bad at all to switch. 

Just got a 1050, with bullet feeder... once I get to my next assignment I'll be able to finally get back into loading and competing again, cant wait to get started. 

I had a 650 previously that I sold to my buddy while I was away, when it came time to get a press again I just didn't see a reason to stick with buying another 650, the 1050 was just too intriguing 

I regret not buying the 1050 over the 650. I originally had an LNL and quickly bought a 650. All the time I spend processing and loading .223 would have been much quicker on the 1050 and I’m sure my failure rate would be cut drastically. Just need to save up for a 1050 now.....or wait till tax return time.

When I first got into reloading got a Lee Turret and I was happy with that for a while.

Then I started shooting more and went through the whole 550/650/1050 thought process and analysis.

Decided on the 650 and it has been great. But...

I started looking at bullet feeder and a case feeder and then one thing led to another and then I was looking at a 1050.

Was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the 1050 when the Mk7 Evo news came out.

Now I'm going back and forth between 1050 and Evo... 

Edited by ddc

1 minute ago, Andyk said:

What is the big deal with swaying pistol rounds?  Did you do it before you got a 1050?  Notice a difference?

A lot of 9mm can be crimped. You have to swage or ream

5 minutes ago, Andyk said:

What is the big deal with swaying pistol rounds?  Did you do it before you got a 1050?  Notice a difference?

For me the biggest deal is that I feel the problem at the swage station when you have one of those primers that gripped the decaping pin and pulled back into the case. Quick and easy fix instead of potentially wadding things up when you try to install the new primer.

I'd let go of my favorite gun before my 1050. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

1 minute ago, Andyk said:

Really?  Never heard of crimped 9mm and never had to save any.  What brands crimp?

Too many to list off the top of my head. It gets discussed a lot here. But to name a few

WCC

FC NT

Anything with nato markings

Also some brands just have tight pockets like S&B

I know a lot of people dislike S&B. 

However my experience has not been bad.

There is a little more effort in sizing than something like Blazer or Federal but other than that no problems.

Primers seem to insert ok.

I'm loading on a 650 using Lee sizing die.

I've been using S&B primers. I wonder if that helps. I wouldn't think so but...maybe?

@ddc XL650 with a Lee die in station 1 here too. I have maybe one CCI primer get crushed out of every 5 to 6 S&B or WIN cases that I load.

I don’t run into crimped in primers in the once fired brass I get. I run into cases with tight pockets that cause high , squished primers, or a few careful pushes on the handle to walk the primer down flush.  The 1050’s swaging station will end all of that.

If the 650 swaged on the fly, I’d have autodriven it, instead of selling mine this coming weekend to buy a 1050.

Additionally, if you run a wheelgun, CZ or Tanfo with lighter springs, the 1050 has a manual adjustment to set the primer seating depth. The 650’s primer seating punch is the weak point on the press - you can’t adjust it and you can’t expect every primer to be seated to the same depth every single time.

22 hours ago, ddc said:

When I first got into reloading got a Lee Turret and I was happy with that for a while.

Then I started shooting more and went through the whole 550/650/1050 thought process and analysis.

Decided on the 650 and it has been great. But...

I started looking at bullet feeder and a case feeder and then one thing led to another and then I was looking at a 1050.

Was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the 1050 when the Mk7 Evo news came out.

Now I'm going back and forth between 1050 and Evo... 

I feel your pain I have been on the fence for a month, but the wait time on the EVO is making me want the 1050 along with the support i get out of Dillon.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@ddc XL650 with a Lee die in station 1 here too. I have maybe one CCI primer get crushed out of every 5 to 6 S&B or WIN cases that I load.

I don’t run into crimped in primers in the once fired brass I get. I run into cases with tight pockets that cause high , squished primers, or a few careful pushes on the handle to walk the primer down flush.  The 1050’s swaging station will end all of that.

If the 650 swaged on the fly, I’d have autodriven it, instead of selling mine this coming weekend to buy a 1050.

Additionally, if you run a wheelgun, CZ or Tanfo with lighter springs, the 1050 has a manual adjustment to set the primer seating depth. The 650’s primer seating punch is the weak point on the press - you can’t adjust it and you can’t expect every primer to be seated to the same depth every single time.

Interesting. I wonder why we are seeing such different behavior when using a 650 and S&B brass.

Perhaps the small tolerance differences between machines are stacked in my favor for once? lol...

I on rare occasion get a sideways or inverted primer but the only time I had a high primer problem was when the primer punch backed out.

I don't reload for wheelguns. My primary guns for reloading purposes are an M&P with Apex striker spring and a 320 X5 with factory striker spring.

Edited by ddc

My trusty 10 year old 650 finally needed a full rebuild this year. I probably loaded at least 500K on it over those 10 years. It’s hard to keep track of how much I have loaded on it as I was also  reloading for a friend for several years. All of it 40 caliber. 

My reloading sessions are typically 1200 rounds and I can usually hammer that out in about an hour. The bullet and case feeders help make that possible. But the biggest variable is me staying diligent in running the press at its optimal pace over that time. Smooth yet deliberate up and down movement of the handle makes everything run more reliably. 

I guess I am an OCD freak because  I like the primer seat being it’s own step on the upward stroke. 

That being said. I also have a 1050 setup for 9mm that I got for a great deal. I have actually had it for several years now but haven’t set it up yet. Been too busy shooting 40 ammo in Limited and my 650 gets the reloading job done like a champ. It’s hard for me to kick the 650 to the curb when it works so well for me.