Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about moving to a 1050 from a 650

Since I moved to open, I am really shooting a lot more.

I have the case feeder and the Mr. Bullet feeder which has made a HUGE improvement, but I still feel like I am spending too much time reloading.  I have two little ones at home, a full time IT job, and I am practicing as much as twice a week.  I need as much time as I can get back.

I am wondering how much I can get for my 650 so I can move up to the 1050 and then save for the Mark 7 next season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to ask the question "How many Mark 7 users fill up their machines and leave the room to come back to a bin full of loaded ammo?"

That is assuming your plan was to start the machine and then go play with kids, do work around the house, or whatever.  I'm sure the answers will vary but knowing all the facts from actual users could be valuable in helping to make your decision.

28 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

You might want to ask the question "How many Mark 7 users fill up their machines and leave the room to come back to a bin full of loaded ammo?"

That is assuming your plan was to start the machine and then go play with kids, do work around the house, or whatever.  I'm sure the answers will vary but knowing all the facts from actual users could be valuable in helping to make your decision.

Wow, not what I had in mind.  I was thinking that I could be in the room dry firing while it was doing the loading.

I don't leave my kids un monitored and I would do the same for the press.

Sheesh

8 minutes ago, Sporky said:

Wow, not what I had in mind.  I was thinking that I could be in the room dry firing while it was doing the loading.

I don't leave my kids un monitored and I would do the same for the press.

Sheesh

Good!

I load on a 650, I got a good deal on an automated 1050 (Ponsness Warren), got it all dialed in, then sold the 1050/drive, and kept the bullet feeder for my 650.

I found I could load almost twice as fast with the handle, plus I like having the power station up front.

Just updated from a 550 to a 1050 .  The swagger has lowered my reject rate to almost zero.  Have filled 12 primer tubes and loaded 1200 rounds with one failure in one hour 25 minutes. 

Nice.....

I think I will post up my 650 in the classifieds and see how that goes.

I found a dealer that is a few hours away from me that "rebuilds" 1050's and says that he will have some ready next week.

Do you think that  a "rebuilt" one is a good idea? 

I started right out with a 1050, glad i did . Have 2 now and one has a autodrive , it takes the chore out of loading and more time for shooting . Add a RF100 and Bullet feeder,  bench time will be drastically reduced .

On 4/4/2018 at 9:15 AM, Sporky said:

Nice.....

I think I will post up my 650 in the classifieds and see how that goes.

I found a dealer that is a few hours away from me that "rebuilds" 1050's and says that he will have some ready next week.

Do you think that  a "rebuilt" one is a good idea? 

Depends on the quality of who's doing the work and what the price is, doesn't it? 

On 4/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, AHI said:

Just updated from a 550 to a 1050 .  The swagger has lowered my reject rate to almost zero.  Have filled 12 primer tubes and loaded 1200 rounds with one failure in one hour 25 minutes. 

Upgraded from the 550 to the 1050 as well. Love the swager, seating the primers on the downstroke, adjustable primer depth and of course the case feeder. With the Mr bullet feeder and 10 full primer tubes it takes me roughly 50 min to make 1000 rounds. Last time out of 1000 rounds I had 1 upside down case and 1 upside down bullet to contend with but that fortunately was it. 

Very happy I upgraded.

If you're looking at upgrading, I would also look at the Mark 7 Revolution.  It's set up just like the 1050 but you also have the ability to add on their primer collator. I wish Dillon had something like that that feeds directly into the press. 

Edited by V2plus25

On 4/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, tkheard said:

Best upgrade I did to my 650 was to replace it with a Super 1050. I’ve never looked back. Swager, prime on the downstroke and bullet feeder are worth the price of admission!

Me too. I don't have a bullet feeder but I still have to be careful that I don't over do it and load more than I need.

I owned a 650 for a short while and could never figure out why it's as popular as it is. I guess it's the price.

And speaking of priming on the downstroke. You can adjust primer seating depth on the 1050. For those who shoot guns that are finicky about setting off primers, it's a big plus 

• 2 months later...

Well I got her!

What a difference.  I can crank out the ammo faster than ever and I save a ton of time.  Wish I would have done this sooner.

When I went to pick it up I also impulse bought an RF 100 primer loader.  It is a super lazy way to go, but it really is pretty nice to have.

Now I am saving up for an AmmoBot.  I saw some in action and it really seems like a nice product at a reasonable price.  I also like the fact that it leaves a handle that you can manually run the press in the case of an issue.  

I do think it is too advanced for someone just getting into reloading.  A 650 or a SDB is a better starter press.  

A usual reloading session would be right at 500 rounds for me with the 650.  After that I was irritated with the resizing station not staying aligned and I would just stop.  Now I have cranked out 1200 rounds with out any issues and I can get back to other things.  Like practice or spending time with my two little monsters (kids).  So to me that is totally worth the price of admission.

Thanks for some of your input on the matter, I appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Sporky said:

Well I got her!

What a difference.  I can crank out the ammo faster than ever and I save a ton of time.  Wish I would have done this sooner.

When I went to pick it up I also impulse bought an RF 100 primer loader.  It is a super lazy way to go, but it really is pretty nice to have.

Now I am saving up for an AmmoBot.  I saw some in action and it really seems like a nice product at a reasonable price.  I also like the fact that it leaves a handle that you can manually run the press in the case of an issue.  

I do think it is too advanced for someone just getting into reloading.  A 650 or a SDB is a better starter press.  

A usual reloading session would be right at 500 rounds for me with the 650.  After that I was irritated with the resizing station not staying aligned and I would just stop.  Now I have cranked out 1200 rounds with out any issues and I can get back to other things.  Like practice or spending time with my two little monsters (kids).  So to me that is totally worth the price of admission.

Damn. I been thinking about getting one and selling on of my 650. You just made it harder now ?. I want one 

22 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Are there any learning curves or things to watch out for in a 1050. Probably gonna nite the bullet and get one. Are they the much better than the 650?  Never worked one so I don’t know how they feel to reload on. 

I thought you were thinking of getting an Evolution Pro? In regards to 650 vs 1050 , I have both, though the 650 has not been used much since I got the 1050 and will be sold soon minus the case feeder (case feeder will go on the automated Case-Pro 100 I ordered). The biggest difference is the priming system where you prime on the downstroke. Makes it much more fluid. Swaging is nice as well though for a pistol shooter not a big deal. Also, I like the way the case feed system works on the 1050 vs 650, the one on the 650 feels almost like an afterthought. Now, I have had issues with the 1050 (see your 650XL thread), but it is still better than other systems out there with the exception of the Evolution where there is not enough data to make a valid comparison yet (though those that have it in the wild rave about it).

Personally, I would wait if you are looking to get another manual press and see how the Evolution works out, price difference is not significant in the great realm of things.

6 hours ago, tanks said:

I thought you were thinking of getting an Evolution Pro? In regards to 650 vs 1050 , I have both, though the 650 has not been used much since I got the 1050 and will be sold soon minus the case feeder (case feeder will go on the automated Case-Pro 100 I ordered). The biggest difference is the priming system where you prime on the downstroke. Makes it much more fluid. Swaging is nice as well though for a pistol shooter not a big deal. Also, I like the way the case feed system works on the 1050 vs 650, the one on the 650 feels almost like an afterthought. Now, I have had issues with the 1050 (see your 650XL thread), but it is still better than other systems out there with the exception of the Evolution where there is not enough data to make a valid comparison yet (though those that have it in the wild rave about it).

Personally, I would wait if you are looking to get another manual press and see how the Evolution works out, price difference is not significant in the great realm of things.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking waiting a while to see the verdict on the evolution. Couple hundred bucks difference not a big deal. Just was wondering about the 1050 never handled one and you can only watch so many videos of the 1050. By the new year hope the reviews of the evolution are in enough to make a decision between both. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2018 at 11:14 AM, Sporky said:

Well I got her!

I went single stage to start over the winter.  I had time when it was 20 degrees out and snowing.   I realize I shoot way too much for a single stage, and like you have 2 little kids and time is now a premium.

I think I'm sold on the 1050 over the 650.    (I need to ignore all evolution threads ?)

Speaking of the original question - my advice is to not sell the 650, but keep it for assorted chores.  Their caliber change is much easier, and I keep one set up with small primers, one with large ones, it makes it so much easier to load some "other" ammo on a whim.  It will take me little time to load 200 rounds of .380 all of a sudden.

On the auto drive - if I move fast and don't waste too many motions, I can just about keep up with the 1050, loading primer tubes, adding powder, primers and bullets, and putting ammo into boxes.  No idle moment there!  :)  That's running at 1200-1400 an hour speed.  Anything faster and it outruns me, but I don't do commercial quantities, so I can always turn it down a bit.  :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:27 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Probably 80% of what you spend for the 650    :) 

That's about what I got for mine. I traded for a gun which came with extra mags and grips. I reckon dollar for dollar I got more in trade value. Also, I still have a bunch of extras that I need to sell off/trade.....so more play money!

4 hours ago, JDIllon said:

I just bought a 1050, just getting it dialed in. But so far I think that I am going to like it. I really like the fact that all functions are done on the down stroke!  JD

Wait till you do some caliber conversion.  :)

Edited by Foxbat