Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI frame hi-cap trigger prob

In a SVI hi-cap in 38 sc, with a very (!) firm support hand grip and mag inserted, the trigger pull is exceedingly heavy.
Same situation with empty gun - no mag - trigger pull is normal. 
How is the mag affecting the trigger pull? ( I get that a less firm grip would alleviate problems, put leave that aside for now.)

Siphon

My guess is you’re gripping the gun hard enough to cause the plastic grip to apply pressure to the magazine and cause it to rub the trigger bar.

Sound plausible?

Coat suspect parts in sharpie then test the gun. You’ll see where things are rubbing.

MemphisMechanic and Loudgp; I thought of that, and it seems reasonable, but for the life of me I can't believe I'm actually putting that much pressure on the grip. 
Having said that, I have used the CoC extensively, and otherwise worked out on muscles in hands and lower arms ..
What's a possible solution? Excert less force? Not really keen on that; there's a reason I started working those muscles (it's called "Glock", and a stint in Production Division ..)

do u use original svi mags? 

sometimes trigger bow touch mag. walls. when shooters use sps mags.

i hope that trigger tray inside frame is clean and u use original  svi  trigger.

if this will not help probably ,because  of the cold  in Norway  u have ice inside the gun.:o;)

3 hours ago, yigal said:

do u use original svi mags? 

sometimes trigger bow touch mag. walls. when shooters use sps mags.

i hope that trigger tray inside frame is clean and u use original  svi  trigger.

if this will not help probably ,because  of the cold  in Norway  u have ice inside the gun.:o;)

That might easily have been the case. :lol:
I'll clean the frame and trigger (ugh!) and check with different mags. Probably have to go with a steel frame.

I had a Para mag that would swell fully loaded and rub the trigger bow, it wouldn't happen when the same mag was empty. A nice guy by the the name Dave Dawson told me to stone the trigger track in the frame,after I did this, I've had 0 problems.

three suggestions:

1) Trigger bow could be opening with mag. inserted, pulling trigger into mag. release bar.  Loosen set screw in SVI trigger.  This set screw adjust after-travel, if hitting mag release will be real hard to drop hammer. 

2) If the screws to your grip are loss, grip can move and allow the trigger bow to move into beaver tail safety.  tighten Screws.

3) with frame disassembled check fit at the rear of the trigger bow.  If bow opened by mag, could be sticking where trigger bow moves into corners of the frame.  SVI trigger bows are slightly wider than STI trigger bow.  If any drag at all will typically cause hard pull and inconsistent reset.  

Kris

This is a common problem due to the over travel set screw in the trigger shoe creating a dimple in the back side of the mag release. You can confirm this by removing the mag release and looking on the back side where the over travel screw contacts it. When there is a dimple in the back side of the mag release it changes the over travel depth depending on the left/right position of the mag release. For most guns the mag release is biased slightly to the right when a magazine is seated verses no magazine in the gun. You can smooth out the dimple area to make it flat again, increase the over travel, or replace the mag release. All three of these solutions will solve the problem.

On 5.4.2018 at 10:05 PM, CHA-LEE said:

This is a common problem due to the over travel set screw in the trigger shoe creating a dimple in the back side of the mag release. You can confirm this by removing the mag release and looking on the back side where the over travel screw contacts it. When there is a dimple in the back side of the mag release it changes the over travel depth depending on the left/right position of the mag release. For most guns the mag release is biased slightly to the right when a magazine is seated verses no magazine in the gun. You can smooth out the dimple area to make it flat again, increase the over travel, or replace the mag release. All three of these solutions will solve the problem.

Ah. There you go!

Thanks, all. And I sat here with the cun in pieces as we speak (well, write), and wondered where the hell that dimple was coming from.
I guess about 40,000 rounds might do that. 
Thanks,  CHA-LEE. Should've thought of that.  

Siphon

Brian for President.

2 hours ago, Siphon Odesse said:

Ah. There you go!

Thanks, all. And I sat here with the cun in pieces as we speak (well, write), and wondered where the hell that dimple was coming from.
I guess about 40,000 rounds might do that. 
Thanks,  CHA-LEE. Should've thought of that.  

Siphon

Brian for President.

+ 400 000 dry fire shots :o