Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 snub nose for wife

Peebles24

Wife decided as her first firearm she wanted the S&W 637 snub nose. She decided it was most comfortable in her hand. Im good with that, your more apt to shoot what your comfortable with.

Now my problem, i dont load 38 special. 

After some reading the non adjustable sights on the 637 are set for 158 gr bullets, so i ordered some rmr plated for her to practice with and some hornady hollow point XTP as carry/protection rounds. 

My wife is rather small and would like a good reduced recoil load to make her more comfortable. Want to make the plated and xtp feel and shoot the same also. 

Any and all help with powders that should be readily available would be much appreciated.

I load for 9mm, 243, 308, and 500 s&w mag currently. Im adding 38 and 223 currently.

Thank you all in advance.

I'd really look into grips that cover the backstrap to make it more comfortable.  Crimson Trace makes a grip set that has an air pocket between the rubber backstrap and the backstrap of the pistol to absorb recoil, but is still a boot grip profile if my memory serves me right.  Might want to check that out - model 405.  The Uncle Mike copy of the Spiegel grips are also rather nice, but do not cover the backstrap - yet are still an improvement over the stock bootgrips.

Edited by michael.flitcraft

Any of the faster shotgun powders or pistol powders will do.  If you are looking for reduced recoil, you'll also get lower velocity.  I would ditch the XTP and go with plated only.  I'd specifically recommend Raining Ballistics plated bullets.  They are very uniform, the plating is thick, and they are swagged from soft lead.  I'd go more toward their 125HP, or the 148gr wad cutter.  They do make a 158gr HP.   If you decide to use the XTP, test it first at the velocity she is comfortable with.

I'd take a look at Hornady's Critical defense ammo.  The 90gr and 110gr should do well in a snubby.  BTW, if you load your own, I'd personally go with one of the low flash pistol powders.

Edited by zzt

This is a 637.  25 yards.  See where the sights are?   

It shoots 110 to POA close up.

Shoot first, decide what to load later. 

A box of wadcutters will be great practice.  It takes some time to get used to the little revolver.

Mine carried in an ankle holster for a long time.

David

38.jpg

Those are crimson trace grips.  I used the irons for this target.

Edited by Droot

6 hours ago, Peebles24 said:

Wife  wanted a S&W 637 snub nose -  most comfortable in her hand 

Has she actually fired a 637 ?

There is a big difference in the feel in your hand, just holding the gun, and

the feel of actually shooting it and hitting a target.

My wife hates the S&W J-frame when she actually fires it - the double

action trigger is a major deterrent to accuracy for her.   She prefers to

shoot my Colt .45 - much more stable and easier to shoot.

I'd suggest you let her fire a few guns before you select her first pistol    :) 

3.5 bullseye 738 fps. You can go as low as 2.8 with a 158 lead bullet.

4.0 unique or should get about 675 fps for from 1 7/8". 158 LSWC

4.0 WW 231 gets 700 fps. 158 Lead

4.5 WW 231 gets 757 fps.

148 HB Wadcutters with 2.7 bullseye are the standard. Easy, accurate shooting. About 725 fps which is the sweet spot for 38 Cal accuracy. 138 button nose gets me the same velocity.

I sometimes carry the 138 BN wadcutter as a defense load. As you can see with a good load of 231, I got 900 fps out of the short barrel.

4.5 WW 231 with a 158 SWC gets me 850 fos.

All are chronographed from my gun.

David

I second what Droot has said,  midrange target stuff at first, go for group size consistency  worry about matching POA/POI when she gets used to the hotter stuff, which you can make gradually as she progresses.

Most of my S&W 442 Airweight is reduced like this, sort of a halfway point between dry firing and what is usually in it, understanding that they are worlds apart but there is no real need to beat yourself up while training from the get go. something with either a round nose or cone style flat point if you plan on training with speedstrips or speedloaders those 148's are tricky to get lined up 5 at a time. The 148 HBWC in front of 2.7-2.9 gr Bullseye is consistently amazingly accurate out of anything I have shot it from.

short barrels will flash with just about anything, there is just no time to burn it all in 1 7/8"  Bullseye is pretty fast compared to WW231 or the like so you may want to start with Bullseye

I haven't had a chance to get any jacketed stuff yet but I have loaded up some Berry's plated HBWC for the next range trip 

Edited by Amerflyer48

Trail Boss, The Preferred Powder Of Outlaws & Sheriffs, gives a soft feel.  The Max Loads are based on case full volume so your Bullet will drive this to an extent.  

It will not produce a great deal of velocity even at maximum loads.

The 158gr coated SWC from any of manufacturers will shoot great.  

Or the Hornady or Speer lead hollow point SWC if you do not mind the Lube in your dies. 

I would use coated bullets.  Less chance of leading, less smoke than cast; less expensive than jacketed, probably more accurate than plated and less likely to stick in the barrel if the load is TOO light.  Use a fast powder, Bullseye is historic, Clays seems good, I bet N310 is.  Trail Boss is made for mild smokeless loads in legacy black powder revolvers... which the .38 Special is. 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Peebles24 said:

She shot it and yes her accuracy goes down with the long da trigger pull.

You have to keep after her, else she will discover that getting hits is a lot easier on SA.  Fine for careful target shooting but dangerous in the defensive role.  I know of one AD due to a startle reaction and two when trying do decock a revolver. 

Don't know about Clays, but, Win 244 is supposed to be available by now. A bit slower than Win 231, flash suppressed, and cleans copper fouling better. Might be worth a try.

I like 231 in 38 Spec cases. Just have to be careful of too light a charge, due to that "powder position" thing. Incomplete burns and all that.

Lots of folks like the inverted HBWC lead bullets. Might be worth a look at the Federal Critical Defense 135gr loading for carry?

I think i will try the win231 found a load at 3.8 gr 661 fps should be fairly mild the max load is 4.3 gr at 779 fps so it has a decent window. What i am seeing for clays doesnt have its 3.0 gr at 633 fps min max of 3.1 gr at 721 fps. I know that seems wrong but what the book says.

Actually not sure if those are minimums it says starting load.

Edited by Peebles24

17 hours ago, Peebles24 said:

I think i will try the win231 found a load at 3.8 gr 661 fps should be fairly mild the max load is 4.3 gr at 779 fps so it has a decent window. What i am seeing for clays doesnt have its 3.0 gr at 633 fps min max of 3.1 gr at 721 fps. I know that seems wrong but what the book says.

Actually not sure if those are minimums it says starting load.

Which bullet is that? 147?