Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder charge variations with Mark 7

Anyone have experience with how their Mark 7 use impacts the consistency of your powder charges? I’m doing pistol loads and wondered if others had identified relationships between this and the various settings (bottom and top dwell, rate, index speed, etc). I’m seeing a bit more variation recently and am working on things independent of the Mark 7 (adding a powder bar return spring system). But wondered if there were known Mark 7 aspects... 

C

Si have a Mark7 and have been running it for well over a year with thousands of rounds loaded on it. Have not seen any variation in powder charge with it. Running on a Dillon 1050 and once I get charge weight set it stays there.  I check charge weight multiple times during reload session just to be sure. Could be your powder measure or the type of powder your loading. What 

Powder are you running?  

Edited by Malibu13

I’ve noticed this variation with Titegroup, N320, 231, and BE86 so far. I assume this correlated with my high SD on chrono....

i just did a disassembly- clean- reassemble. And added a spring to help snap back the powder bar a bit....several posts on that little mod on a few forums...

will be checking results tomorrow with weighing charges and then chrono...

Here's my data with BE86 using a 124 gr plated round nose from Berrys, all in fps. All new starline brass with WIN SPP. 1.115"

Ran Mark 7 at 2100 per hour, with bottom dwell of 1, index speed no reduction. I use the little rubber discs on the locator pins to reduce wobble, so there is no spillage influencing these figures, and I cleaned and watched each round.  This is WITH a return spring on the powder bar.

I did NOT weigh all these drops, however. I just loaded and chrono'd with my LabRadar.

16 shots

max 1079

min 1015

ES 64

Average 1048

SD 20

What kind of ES and SD are folks seeing with pistol ammo loading at 'higher' speeds on their mark 7?

Anyone notice any variations with SD and ES based on Mark 7 speed, bottom dwell, etc?

I have noticed that if the  system sits still for awhile (meaning more than a few minutes) the next charge is often higher than it is during continuous run. I assumed it was because powder was settling in the bar from the hopper, and that was the reason I added the return spring, to see if that 'snap' back would maximally settle the powder to reduce this variation.

C

Here's my data with BE86 using a 124 gr plated round nose from Berrys, all in fps. All new starline brass with WIN SPP. 1.115"
Ran Mark 7 at 2100 per hour, with bottom dwell of 1, index speed no reduction. I use the little rubber discs on the locator pins to reduce wobble, so there is no spillage influencing these figures, and I cleaned and watched each round.  This is WITH a return spring on the powder bar.

I did NOT weigh all these drops, however. I just loaded and chrono'd with my LabRadar.

16 shots
max 1079
min 1015
ES 64
Average 1048
SD 20

What kind of ES and SD are folks seeing with pistol ammo loading at 'higher' speeds on their mark 7?

Anyone notice any variations with SD and ES based on Mark 7 speed, bottom dwell, etc?

I have noticed that if the  system sits still for awhile (meaning more than a few minutes) the next charge is often higher than it is during continuous run. I assumed it was because powder was settling in the bar from the hopper, and that was the reason I added the return spring, to see if that 'snap' back would maximally settle the powder to reduce this variation.

C

I have also noticed a variation when I stop for awhile and continue loading. For example, when I want to load a batch of soft shooting 45ACP loads, I load 3.6gr of Clays. However, if I stop loading for a while, I always throw out the first powder drop when I return because the first drop is usually at 4.1gr which is a little over the max load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2018 at 8:28 PM, Clint007 said:

16 shots

max 1079

min 1015

ES 64

Average 1048

SD 20

I'd say this looks pretty normal as far as variations in velocity and the SD. I've hand weighed loads for pistol and ended with larger spreads. It can be anything from different case volume, even when you use the same brand cases, to different thicknesses of jacket or hardness of lead etc. Pistol ammo and rifle ammo are two totally different beasts in my opinion, and pistol seems to always have more variation, unless you want to use benchrest rifle practices with pistol ammo.

16 shots
max 1079
min 1015
ES 64
Average 1048
SD 20

Do you have a hand weighed control set for comparison? Really tough to compare if we don’t have a baseline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk