Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ UB magwell basepad compatibility

ultimase

So I searched quite a bit before committing to the CZ UB magwell and wasn't able to find much about compatibility for them so I wanted to make a post to show much experiences. 

I ended up choosing the CZ UB magwell because I liked that it wasn't really an aftermarket parts. This coupled with what appeared to be the fact that it extended the grip the least. You do need to buy the shortened grips for these similar to czcustom's so they might be similar in that regard, I was worried that czcustom's magwell might be too wide as well. 

The magwell is as you'd expect for being a stock CZ part. It fits snuggly around the grip and has a allen bolt set screw to keep it in place. 

Some of these basepads might fit with some modification, but I'm going to start with what doesn't fit without any modification.

Stock sp01 with the plastic extension does not fit. May fit with some modification on sides and front.

Springer basepads on mecgar 17 rounders before they began tapering them does not fit. 

Mecgar stock 17 with thin basepad does not fit, though it is very close. This actually looks pretty close, would probably just take some modification of the front lip to make them fit. There wouldn't be much protruding beyond the magwell, in the unfortunate case of a double feed it would be somewhat difficult to strip the mag.

What does fit so far...

czcustom 30094 basepads do work, BUT the mag is only being limited by the magazine release. I'm somewhat worried that you maybe able to force these mags past the magazine release, causing the mother of all jams.

I also have some mecgar 19 rounders on the way, though if the 17 rounders don't fit I have my doubts on the 19 rounders. 

2 hours ago, Poorshot said:

I have the new springer 17round mecgar 140mm basepads and they work great. Also the hennings extended pads work also. 

Poorshot are you saying that they work with the CZ UB magwell?

6 hours ago, ultimase said:

So I searched quite a bit before committing to the CZ UB magwell and wasn't able to find much about compatibility for them so I wanted to make a post to show much experiences. 

I ended up choosing the CZ UB magwell because I liked that it wasn't really an aftermarket parts. This coupled with what appeared to be the fact that it extended the grip the least. You do need to buy the shortened grips for these similar to czcustom's so they might be similar in that regard, I was worried that czcustom's magwell might be too wide as well. 

The magwell is as you'd expect for being a stock CZ part. It fits snuggly around the grip and has a allen bolt set screw to keep it in place. 

Some of these basepads might fit with some modification, but I'm going to start with what doesn't fit without any modification.

Stock sp01 with the plastic extension does not fit. May fit with some modification on sides and front.

Springer basepads on mecgar 17 rounders before they began tapering them does not fit. 

Mecgar stock 17 with thin basepad does not fit, though it is very close. This actually looks pretty close, would probably just take some modification of the front lip to make them fit. There wouldn't be much protruding beyond the magwell, in the unfortunate case of a double feed it would be somewhat difficult to strip the mag.

What does fit so far...

czcustom 30094 basepads do work, BUT the mag is only being limited by the magazine release. I'm somewhat worried that you maybe able to force these mags past the magazine release, causing the mother of all jams.

I also have some mecgar 19 rounders on the way, though if the 17 rounders don't fit I have my doubts on the 19 rounders. 

I also use the Springer Precision 140mm(+5) for my Shadow 2 with the factory 17 round mecgar mags, no issues fitting with CZUB magwell from CZC. 5ac1925806eb1_vdlHw530SilamujtcDOFw.jpeg.45b0c9a2ab51d64bb6b35d2337ac6e60.jpeg

Mecgar 16's don't work with the stock baseplate, or the cz rubber baseplate, mag body just too short.

Mecgar 17's with the czcustom baseplates do not work, and it's a very tight fit to get the base plate on the mag, don't suggest this, it was a pain to get the pad back off.

CZ 18 rounders do work with the rubber baseplate, but again this is largely because the magazine body is long enough that the base plate doesn't interact with the magwell. Again the only thing stopping the magazine is the magazine release, forcing the mag past the magazine release is still a real possibility.

CZ 18 rounders with springer basepads does work, and actually has a small gap between the basepad and the magwell, this wouldn't stop you from over inserting the mag, but it wouldn't go too far. Though these are springer basepads for the mecgar 17s so it does rattle a bit. In addition the 18 rounders with the springer basepads are a bit longer than the stock cz 18 rounders with the plastic basepads, so I'm not sure if it'll push me out of the IDPA box.

Edited by ultimase

2 hours ago, casingburn said:

I also use the Springer Precision 140mm(+5) for my Shadow 2 with the factory 17 round mecgar mags, no issues fitting with CZUB magwell from CZC. 5ac1925806eb1_vdlHw530SilamujtcDOFw.jpeg.45b0c9a2ab51d64bb6b35d2337ac6e60.jpeg

Thank you, I wonder if their new tapered mecgar 17 round basepads would work. 

14 hours ago, ultimase said:

Thank you, I wonder if their new tapered mecgar 17 round basepads would work. 

For your reference, at the Springer Precision website the below are the exact SKU numbers that I ordered. Hope that helps and good luck.

SPCZ75-140-BPM17-WHT  | Springer Precision CZ75 EZ 140mm base pads  | 03/09/2018    | 9405510200793691698613  
                            | - Mecgar 17 round mag 

1 hour ago, casingburn said:

For your reference, at the Springer Precision website the below are the exact SKU numbers that I ordered. Hope that helps and good luck.

SPCZ75-140-BPM17-WHT  | Springer Precision CZ75 EZ 140mm base pads  | 03/09/2018    | 9405510200793691698613  
                            | - Mecgar 17 round mag 

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain the mag extension would not fit in the idpa box.

So what I noticed was that most magazines were hitting the front of the magwell, looking a bit closer I realized that there was a pretty significant lip on the interior of the front. Comparing against older pictures it does look like this might be new, perhaps to allow the buyer to fit the magwell to their specific firearm. 

So I went ahead and marked it with a sharpie from the inside and grabbed a round file. In the end I'll admit it's not pretty, but with some filing of the interior front and rear corners of the magwell, several mags do fit.

Sp01 18 rounders still fit as they always have because of their length, though I wouldn't use these as there's probably 1/4 of an inch that's free, ie you could jam these past the magazine catch possible.

Mecgar 17 rounders now fit, but the plastic basepad is flush with the bottom of the magwell. They'll work, but if you get a double feed it'll be very difficult to grasp the mag.

Mecgar 17 rounders with springer basepads before they started tapering them now work as well. These will likely be my go to mags as they still protrude just enough to grasp should you need to strip the mag. I'll be adding some grip tape to them just in case.

Amusingly I have a 26 round mag that fit even before filing the magwell.

So just an update, some fitting required, but you can forgo the very expensive czub mag basepads and still run their magwell.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update, the Taran Tactical +2 bases fit the CZ-UB magwell fine.  The followers need some fitting/contouring to comfortably get +2, but once done you can actually comfortably get +3....that is if you're not going to spring for the Grams followers as well.  But this way I saved myself almost an extra $100 on top of the basepad set purchase.

image.thumb.png.0e66b68c5fc1c7cf5141e403de2dd226.png

image.png.51ecdaddeae4522658537362501c73b6.png

Edited by MoRivera

• 3 weeks later...

I have this magwell and may have been one of the first in the US with it a few years ago. I had the magwell and CZ UB specific basepads imported by a friend in the EU. The basepads I used are the MAGWELL Specific CZ UB ones. They also make non magwell varients, neither add capacity. When I use the gun in 3gun I use CZC base pads to bring the mecgars to 140mm. I LOVE the CZC base pads by the way due to being tool-less. If you plan on trying out any others, try them. Ive had the tarans for other guns before but the tool-less is really convenient for cleaning dirty mags post stage.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my daughter's CZUB magwell kit. It came with short grips, torx grip screws, the magwell, and two matching base pads.

Standard base pads from M-Arms (https://www.m-arms.eu/products/std-magwell-1-round/) are a perfect fit.

Both types of pads work fine with Mec-Gar 17-round mags.

Weights: CZ aluminium 19 g, M-Arms brass 29 g

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

Edited by Siberian

• 2 years later...