Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare parts cz shadow custom?

Bwidpa

New to the CZ platform. I like to carry spare parts when going to larger competitions, just in case. This way I'm not out of a match if I traveled a long way to get there. ...and I'm too cheap to buy an entire backup gun.

From your experiences are there any springs/parts that are worth having on hand for those unwanted emergencies? 

Having a spare sear spring for my M&P saved my butt during a match last year.  Just dont know what the weak points are on the cz shadow. Would be nice if there are none (wishful thinking,  I know)

RowdyB has a good write-up that I’ve used as a guideline. The biggest parts are the trigger return spring, recoil spring, and slide stop. 

I will say that it would kind of suck to try and replace this stuff at a match. I bought a back-up gat because I’d be pissed if I drove 5-6 hours for a major match only to have to try and fiddle with my gun between stages. 

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/259936-must-have-tools-to-work-on-cz75-variants/?do=findComment&comment=2888763

Anything catastrophic and the stage is blown.  I carry a spare gun to every match.  If you don't want to spend the money for an identical backup gun then go get a Canik or something much cheaper to just be able to carry with you to finish a match.  

Having a good set of spares but only one gun allows you to 1. fix a gun right before you leave without waiting on shipping or a gunsmith. 2. do preventative maintenance by replacing stuff on a schedule before it even breaks.

At a match, on a stage, the only thing you could reasonably hope to exchange is the slide stop. Which is a part that does break and you should carry an extra. And maybe the stuff to replace the fiber in your front sight. Other than that you are going to need tools and time. For most people a trigger return spring or even a sear spring breakage and their match is done. You probably will not be able to replace these parts at a match within reasonable time. Don't believe me? Try it just for fun to replace a trigger return spring, knowing ahead of time you're going to do it, between stages at your own local match.

It can be done, I've seen it a few times. But it is not nearly as ideal as any sort of complete back up gun. If I was even remotely worried I'd rather bring a completely different gun and set up and leave them in the car rather than a pile of spare parts and tools.

Yes, the two most common parts, anecdotally, that people break are slide stops and trigger return springs.

As mentioned, when I got on a schedule of some springs every 6 months and all springs every year I've never ever had a spring problem since.

6 months- every mag spring. recoil spring. fp spring. main spring. extractor spring. trigger return spring.

12 months- sear spring, trigger bar lifter spring. magazine catch spring. fp block spring if a b gun.

If you consider competitive shooting the equivalent of "gun racing" then this type of maintenance is cheap. Roughly $50?

Beyond two or three of every spring I like to have an extra two slide stops, an extra front sight, two extra extractors, extra hammer, extra sear, extra fiber rod, extra grip screws, extra firing pin, extra firing pin stop. All of these small parts would allow you to deal with quite a bit of stuff. Short of barrel/slide/frame issues.

Edited by rowdyb

40 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Yes, the two most common parts, anecdotally, that people break are slide stops and trigger return springs.

As mentioned, when I got on a schedule of some springs every 6 months and all springs every year I've never ever had a spring problem since.

6 months- every mag spring. recoil spring. fp spring. main spring. extractor spring. trigger return spring.

12 months- sear spring, trigger bar lifter spring. magazine catch spring. fp block spring if a b gun.

If you consider competitive shooting the equivalent of "gun racing" then this type of maintenance is cheap. Roughly $50?

Beyond two or three of every spring I like to have an extra two slide stops, an extra front sight, two extra extractors, extra hammer, extra sear, extra fiber rod, extra grip screws, extra firing pin, extra firing pin stop. All of these small parts would allow you to deal with quite a bit of stuff. Short of barrel/slide/frame issues.

Just to put it in perspective how many rounds are you putting down range every 6-12 months?   $50 is cheap compared to having a worn spring break, blowing a $xxx match fee.

I do it irrespective of round count. I just consider it a cost of doing business. Between a match and dry fire/training gun they see about 35-40k rounds in total, split between them. It is easier for me to remember a 6 month date than try to track a round count. Jan 1 and June 1 are my dates.

I would personally rather change a spring that didn't need it than change a broken one. Most people would rather wait and do it then, as it's simpler and it feels like they aren't wasting money. I don't feel that way.

Edited by rowdyb

Backup guns are definitely a better, less stressful option but don’t discount the parts option.

I’ve had to replace the full ignition system in a 1911 (that was unfitted) and while it was less than ideal, I still managed to catch up to my squad reasonably quickly (and I had to go to a hardware store to buy a particular file ?‍♂️).

Replacing a TRS would be a pain but if you are competent then it doesn’t actually take that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2018-04-01 at 10:28 PM, Matt1 said:

Backup guns are definitely a better, less stressful option but don’t discount the parts option.

I’ve had to replace the full ignition system in a 1911 (that was unfitted) and while it was less than ideal, I still managed to catch up to my squad reasonably quickly (and I had to go to a hardware store to buy a particular file ?‍♂️).

Replacing a TRS would be a pain but if you are competent then it doesn’t actually take that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind though that 1911’s are a lot easier to work on. It would be tough to replace a trigger return spring for a shadow during a match in between stages. I personally recommend a backup gun. Shadows are so cheap, it is usually no big deal. I have two identical carry optic shadows for less than half of what I paid for my Czechmate.  If one is keen on spare parts, I would highly recommend a Trigger Return Spring, and don’t forget to carry a ‘slave pin’ with you as you will need it. A slide stop is ok, but it shouldn’t be required if you use a buffer. 

Edited by abb1