Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build A Winning PCC.....

I like the list, and think it's a pretty safe bet that it will produce a reliable pcc. My question is about the hyperfire with silver springs. I've been breaking firing pins every 1500-2000 rounds with mine. Has anyone else experienced such frequent breakage? It's always the nib on the end. I've tried a few different brands without much success. Faxon bolt.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, scffacenter1 said:

I like the list, and think it's a pretty safe bet that it will produce a reliable pcc. My question is about the hyperfire with silver springs. I've been breaking firing pins every 1500-2000 rounds with mine. Has anyone else experienced such frequent breakage? It's always the nib on the end. I've tried a few different brands without much success. Faxon bolt.

If you suspect the hammer is battering the firing pin go to the next set of springs and try them. Your trigger pull will increase some but should stay around three pounds or so. See what happens. 

Taccom, i believe, has a new pin out.

Edited by MikieM
56 minutes ago, scffacenter1 said:

Something strange is going on with your gun. 

I have four AR-9 lowers all set up with Hiperfire 24 series triggers and all use the silver (heavy) springs for the lightest trigger pull.  The main match gun (PSA Hybrid bolt) has over 10k rounds on it and has not broken a single firing pin or firing pin spring.  When I clean the gun I pull the firing pin and spring to clean and inspect.  No noticeable deformation of the firing pin can be seen.

The other lowers do not have as many rounds on them and they have a mix of PSA and Spinta bolts.  No broken firing pins in any of them.

I will be running factory 115g blazer brass ammo (93.7% of the time)
With a 16"barrel with a Fortis Brake.
I will be very curious to see how much it (the brake) is working 
My Fortis break is definitely working at 43.684% efficiency based on the tape test. My barrel is 10.5" so YMMV.

Man, I hate PSA didn't get as many mentions. We had a pretty good showing at Steel Nationals. 3 of 6 available podium spots in PCC with a LeadStar occupying a 4th. Not too shabby for the "budget builds".

Anywho, the firing pin issue is about to be resolved. We have studied that little problem a good bit and think (between a 3 company think tank) we may have a fix. More to come...

Edited by wyliearms
2 hours ago, wyliearms said:

Man, I hate PSA didn't get as many mentions. We had a pretty good showing at Steel Nationals. 3 of 6 available podium spots in PCC with a LeadStar occupying a 4th. Not too shabby for the "budget builds".

Anywho, the firing pin issue is about to be resolved. We have studied that little problem a good bit and think (between a 3 company think tank) we may have a fix. More to come...

Congratulations. Not too shabby indeed.

Firing pins seem to be universally problematic. Any help would be appreciated. If you find anything out be sure and post it in a new thread.

Thanks, Mike

On 4/7/2018 at 9:05 PM, ToddKS said:
On 4/7/2018 at 3:07 PM, Startingover said:
I will be running factory 115g blazer brass ammo (93.7% of the time)
With a 16"barrel with a Fortis Brake.
I will be very curious to see how much it (the brake) is working 

My Fortis break is definitely working at 43.684% efficiency based on the tape test. My barrel is 10.5" so YMMV.

I ended up switching to a Ranier Arms Ultramatch barrel, so I am going to try a Epsilon VG6 instead (my original choice)

The reason I was going with the Fortis  is the 36 vs 28 threads on the CMMG barrel I was originally going to use.

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 6:48 PM, MikieM said:

Then there's hope for the few that do believe. Even if it's ever so slight.

I wouldn't exactly call three layers of tape scientific, would you?

I would. It clearly demonstrates that gas is being vented out of the comp. If gas is being vented the comp is at least reducing recoil or rise by some degree. Whether or not YOU believe it is doing anything is irrelevant or making any real difference is subjective.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, wyliearms said:

Any updates on the firing pin issue?  I keep an eye on the PCC forum and don"t think I missed it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MikieM said:

This post is like a bad penny, although it would appear that I'm somewhat vindicated.

I have built 4 guns so far using these guidelines, and all have performed accurately, and without failure. ?

With all due respect, the thread is about building a winning PCC.  While these guidelines may produce a gun that works, most of the recommendations in the original post are not what the people who are actually winning use.  I know of no GMs who use all the parts on that list.

53 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Post a list of what the people who are "actually winning" use.

Probably the biggest winning gun-

Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower

Non-forward assist regular upper

Shooting Innovations ramped 14.5 barrel 

Hiperfire trigger like the Eclipse 

Full weight bolt

Blitzkrieg 9mm hydraulic buffer

JP 308 carbine spring

140+pf ammo.

The rest doesn't really matter 

Edited by Patrick Scott
49 minutes ago, CalTeacher said:

With all due respect, the thread is about building a winning PCC.  While these guidelines may produce a gun that works, most of the recommendations in the original post are not what the people who are actually winning use.  I know of no GMs who use all the parts on that list.

Give a GM any one of my four guns and he can win with it.