Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build A Winning PCC.....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I can rely on my CZ Scorpion carbine.  Added the HB spring kit and AK style mag release. Busted a few mag lips from jamming mags during reloads at 1st.  Then got some T/F mag extentions  (very few mag changes needed anymore) AND the metal feed lip mags.  Remember, it was /is a sub machine gun before offered in a semi auto.. well designed. Yes, I also have a Taccom barreled  AR style gun, runs just fine. 

On 4/1/2018 at 11:09 AM, MikieM said:

This thread is for the all the new kids on the block who want to put together their own PCC, but were unsure where to begin. The following parts list will make it easy for them to assemble a new PCC that will work the first time, every time, and win matches.

Barrel: 16 inch Kaw Valley, or Faxon. Anything else is too heavy.

Upper and lower receiver: Quarter Circle 10. Hands down the best available, and lightweight.

Bolt: Taccom, KV, or Faxon. None heavier than 15 ounces. 

Buffer: The brand doesn't matter but weight must be 6 ounces.

Buffer spring: Sprinco 'red' extra power.

Buffer tube: Magpul.

Trigger: Hiperfire 24C. The best. Use the silver springs.

Charge bar: Raptor.

Handguard: Taccom carbon fibre. It comes with a barrel nut.

Stock: Magpul MOE.

Grip: Magpul.

Optic: Holosun with your choice of dot, but not the heavy 510.

Other stuff like safeties, a magazine release, bolt catches, etc. are up to you.

That's it. Your new gun will weigh right at 6 pounds and shoot like a dream. Have fun.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This gun will work it's very best with 124 grain RN bullets that produce 130 power factor. No more. No less. 

I don't agree with everything MikieM says but with all the crazy stuff I have tested, Ill agree that this would be a really good setup. 

On 4/1/2018 at 11:09 AM, MikieM said:

This thread is for the all the new kids on the block who want to put together their own PCC, but were unsure where to begin. The following parts list will make it easy for them to assemble a new PCC that will work the first time, every time, and win matches.

Barrel: 16 inch Kaw Valley, or Faxon. Anything else is too heavy.

Upper and lower receiver: Quarter Circle 10. Hands down the best available, and lightweight.

Bolt: Taccom, KV, or Faxon. None heavier than 15 ounces. 

Buffer: The brand doesn't matter but weight must be 6 ounces.

Buffer spring: Sprinco 'red' extra power.

Buffer tube: Magpul.

Trigger: Hiperfire 24C. The best. Use the silver springs.

Charge bar: Raptor.

Handguard: Taccom carbon fibre. It comes with a barrel nut.

Stock: Magpul MOE.

Grip: Magpul.

Optic: Holosun with your choice of dot, but not the heavy 510.

Other stuff like safeties, a magazine release, bolt catches, etc. are up to you.

That's it. Your new gun will weigh right at 6 pounds and shoot like a dream. Have fun.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This gun will work it's very best with 124 grain RN bullets that produce 130 power factor. No more. No less. 

16" KV barrel looks nice and all, but then with a comp I'm out to almost an 18" barrel.   Whats the best alternative where I can be around 14.5 with a pinned and welded barrel?

The best would probably be the JP with pinned comp, but it's heavy.

Other than that a gunsmith can cut down a 16" barrel and pin a comp on for you. Might be pricey that way. 

Another alternative would be a 10.5 inch barrel with a Taccom extension pinned and welded over. It saves a little weight but requires more powder in your load to achieve PF.

Be aware that nothing is gained by using a compensator on an AR9. There just isn't enough gas left over to make them work, especially if you use a fast powder.

Other than that a gunsmith can cut down a 16" barrel and pin a comp on for you. Might be pricey that way. 
Another alternative would be a 10.5 inch barrel with a Taccom extension pinned and welded over. It saves a little weight but requires more powder in your load to achieve PF.
Be aware that nothing is gained by using a compensator on an AR9. There just isn't enough gas left over to make them work, especially if you use a fast powder.

Powder dependant im sure but I do believe the taccom ones give you a little bit of downward push

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, MikieM said:

So...  Id like to have a second pcc.   I put together a parts list but can't tell if I'm missing anything or not ;P  

EDIT:  I deff think my math is off because even with a heavy barrel + comp I'm coming in under 5lbs lol,  christ...

Edited by jtrump

MBX barrel with mbx comp, 16.1" long

Taccom Hand guard / barrel nut

taccom bolt

Taccom Upper

QC10 lower

Milspec lower small parts kit

taccom magwell

techwell charging handle

Elfman match trigger

hogue no finger groove grip

MFT- Minimalist stock

spikes buffer tube

Blitz buffer system

receiver plate

castle nut

Who wants to make fun at me for what I'm missing ;)?   Open to suggestions/opinions

24 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Looks good to me. Is that Elftmann trigger the new one they've just come out with for PCCs?

Indeed it is!

I just wish I could get an exact weight on the build...   the whole point of me making another pcc is to get to sub 6lbs, just slightly,  yet keeping some weight out front as I just shoot much better  with that feel, but shedding a half pound + off my  gmr for running around sure would be nice.

Edited by jtrump
taccom bolt
Taccom Upper
QC10 lower
taccom magwell
techwell charging handle
Elfman match trigger
MFT- Minimalist stock
spikes buffer tube
Blitz buffer system
receiver plate
castle nut

Who wants to make fun at me for what I'm missing ;)?   Open to suggestions/opinions
TACCOM 3stage instead of blitz

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jtrump said:

taccom bolt

Taccom Upper

QC10 lower

taccom magwell

techwell charging handle

Elfman match trigger

MFT- Minimalist stock

spikes buffer tube

Blitz buffer system

receiver plate

castle nut

hours of dryfire and rounds down range is the most important part:)

1 hour ago, jtrump said:

Indeed it is!

I just wish I could get an exact weight on the build...   the whole point of me making another pcc is to get to sub 6lbs, just slightly,  yet keeping some weight out front as I just shoot much better  with that feel, but shedding a half pound + off my  gmr for running around sure would be nice.

It's not easy to do with a 16 inch barrel. The parts list I provided will build a gun weighing 6 pounds even and that's with a KV barrel, 14.5 ounce bolt, and 6 ounce buffer.

The pressure wave in the 16 inch 9mm PCC begins in the chamber and spikes very quickly (about 2 nanoseconds) the drops off fairly rapidly. By the time the bullet exits the barrel there really isn't much left to operate a comp. Still yet, the 16 inch barrel is probably the easiest way to make PF with the least amount of gunpowder. Less powder, less dot movement. Rethink the comp thing again.

8 hours ago, noexcuses said:

hours of dryfire and rounds down range is the most important part:)

We put several thousand down range and shoot 3 matches a month :)

be be nice to have a backup gun though.  

"Be aware that nothing is gained by using a compensator on an AR9. There just isn't enough gas left over to make them work, especially if you use a fast powder."

Nothing could be further from the truth.

How about you volunteer to wrap your hand around my MBX comp while I run a few rounds through it?

Yea with 139pf loads I'm getting my comp to work for me,  sadly.. my comp has no top ports but the gun is flat...   She's still just kinda damn heavy..   And I don't want to go hacking up a JP rifle to save weight ;/.  

2 hours ago, Bigsampson said:

"Be aware that nothing is gained by using a compensator on an AR9. There just isn't enough gas left over to make them work, especially if you use a fast powder."

Hey! That's what I said.

16 minutes ago, Bigsampson said:

Too bad it is totally incorrect.

Perhaps you should read the rest of the post.

Well, let me ask you. Can you show any proof that they do work? I can't find any at all. And by proof I mean actual scientific proof. Not anecdotal. We just can't take your word for it.

As a matter of fact a consensus on this forum, regarding comps on PCCs, indicate that they do little more that add weight to the muzzle.

And, the part about me wrapping my hand around the comp on your gun and you pulling the trigger is shameful.