Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build A Winning PCC.....

This thread is for the all the new kids on the block who want to put together their own PCC, but were unsure where to begin. The following parts list will make it easy for them to assemble a new PCC that will work the first time, every time, and win matches.

Barrel: 16 inch Kaw Valley, or Faxon. Anything else is too heavy.

Upper and lower receiver: Quarter Circle 10. Hands down the best available, and lightweight.

Bolt: Taccom, KV, or Faxon. None heavier than 15 ounces. 

Buffer: The brand doesn't matter but weight must be 6 ounces.

Buffer spring: Sprinco 'red' extra power.

Buffer tube: Magpul.

Trigger: Hiperfire 24C. The best. Use the silver springs.

Charge bar: Raptor.

Handguard: Taccom carbon fibre. It comes with a barrel nut.

Stock: Magpul MOE.

Grip: Magpul.

Optic: Holosun with your choice of dot, but not the heavy 510.

Other stuff like safeties, a magazine release, bolt catches, etc. are up to you.

That's it. Your new gun will weigh right at 6 pounds and shoot like a dream. Have fun.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This gun will work it's very best with 124 grain RN bullets that produce 130 power factor. No more. No less. 

Edited by MikieM
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW never seen a gun win a match before, I always thought it was the shooter :D:P

Now I just need to find one that will win the match, clean itself and pay for and reload its own ammo LOL

nice list of parts, not my choices but still nice

This thread is for the all the new kids on the block who want to put together their own PCC, but were unsure where to begin. The following parts list will make it easy for them to assemble a new PCC that will work the first time, every time, and win matches.

Barrel: 16 inch Kaw Valley, or Faxon. Anything else is too heavy.
Upper and lower receiver: Quarter Circle 10. Hands down the best available, and lightweight.
Bolt: Taccom, KV, or Faxon. None heavier than 15 ounces. 
Buffer: The brand doesn't matter but weight must be 6 ounces.
Buffer spring: Sprinco 'red' extra power.
Buffer tube: Magpul.
Trigger: Hiperfire 24C. The best. Use the silver springs.
Charge bar: Raptor.
Handguard: Taccom carbon fibre. It comes with a barrel nut.
Stock: Magpul MOE.
Grip: Magpul.
Optic: Holosun with your choice of dot, but not the heavy 510.
Other stuff like safeties, a magazine release, bolt catches, etc. are up to you.

That's it. Your new gun will weigh right at 6 pounds and shoot like a dream. Have fun.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. This gun will work it's very best with 124 grain RN bullets that produce 130 power factor. No more. No less. 
Nice list. BUT, I'm sure that others here will have several other opinions.

I for one am very happy with my burris ff3 optic for a third the price of the holosun.

I use the 24 3g hiperfire. Exactly the same internals as the 24c but it has a curved trigger and is less expensive.

Mil-spec buffer tubes are fine. I use a no 308 buffer spring and a blitz krieg buffer. My bolt and buffer weigh more than 6 oz but it runs very well.

I bought a diamondback pic that from the factory came in at 6 pounds. I added the above items and am as competitive as everyone else without building from the ground up.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I am not trying to be antagonistic but the list you have created is far from definitive. A few of the parts on your list are ones that I specifically recommend people avoid because I have used them and found them to be sub-optimal.

I'd recommend anyone building a PCC from the ground up take a look at what the top PCC shooters are using. Max Leograndis' IG is a great resource. A lot of the good parts don't cost much more or even cost less than the parts on this list.

For example, the KV and Faxon barrels typically take work with a reamer to chamber projectiles that are commonly used in USPSA at longer (and typically more reliable) OALs. The QC10 lower is great, but the upper is $180 and will function the same in a 9mm PCC as a $40 Anderson Sport. I'd take some of the savings from the upper and put it towards a ramped barrel (Shooting Innovations or Taccom) and the rest towards the higher end Taccom or QC10 bolt.

If I were buying an optic today for PCC it would be a HS 510C.

I understand there are lots of different opinions but there are no winning guns. There are guns that run consistently and guns that don't and I've found some of the parts on that list tilt the PCCs towards the "don't" category. After that ergonomics/balance and optics are individual preference.

I didn't start this thread to be argumentative. I wrote it for the new builder.

I can guarantee this parts list will produce a gun that will compete with any other gun available, and out perform most.

3 hours ago, MikieM said:

This thread is for the all the new kids on the block who want to put together their own PCC, but were unsure where to begin.......................

.......................Trigger: Hiperfire 24C. The best. Use the silver springs.

.......................This gun will work it's very best with 124 grain   RN bullets that produce 130 power factor. No more. No less. 

Wow, the trigger is the only part your gun and mine has in common.   We don't even agree on bullet weight and PF.

But that just goes to show we can all have build our own creations and with quality parts have a reliable gun that will give us a good time.

The bolt and buffer in this gun was configured around the 124 grain RN, Flats. If using the 147 grain I would recommend adding 1/2 ounce to the buffer. If using the 115 grain bullet then I would advise subtracting 1/2 ounce.

As to PF I don't know why anyone would want to go above 130. 

19 minutes ago, MikieM said:

As to PF I don't know why anyone would want to go above 130. 

I ran 134 PF all last year.  Based on comments by others on their loads and results, I decided to experiment with hotter loads.  Turns out, in my main match PCC, loads at 145 PF gave only a slight increase in recoil but reduced dot movement significantly. 

Most folks were using 124/125 gr bullets in their tests but since I had already made my annual purchase of bullets (147 gr plated RN) that's what I used.

May not work in all guns but it made me smile.  :)

25 minutes ago, Shooter212 said:

Taccom, mbx, or hydraulic buffers are a must too. They make a world of difference in the feel. 

Recoil systems are not recommended. For one, they don't work. For any system that is designed to mitigate recoil successfully it must work while the bolt/buffer is traveling in both directions. Those you listed do not.

With the correct bolt/buffer weight mated to the correct spring, nothing else is required.

Recoil systems are not recommended. For one, they don't work. For any system that is designed to mitigate recoil successfully it must work while the bolt/buffer is traveling in both directions. Those you listed do not.
With the correct bolt/buffer weight mated to the correct spring, nothing else is required.
Dude, I can tell you very specifically that there is a very noteable difference between my mil-spec spring and buffer and the blitz krieg / jp 308 spring. I read pages and pages here and all over the net about that very topic before I made the decision to go the path I did.

I think you are stating things to just get a rise out of people here. I have found most people here state what works FOR THEM and let others make up their own mind. YOU on the other hand are presenting your opinions as god given fact and any other thought is wrong.
My recommendation is you might want to back down some, state what you LIKE and leave it at that.

Might as well get some popcorn and settle in.  We will now hear how this part is better and my part is lighter and your part is uglier.  It will continue for quite awhile.

The thing about PCC's is that there are hundreds of products out there, with varying levels of effectiveness, and thousands of combinations.

That is the fun part.  There is no ONE way to do it. Something that might work for me, may not work well for you at all.

The post should be entertaining anyway :)

1 minute ago, Bigsampson said:

Might as well get some popcorn and settle in.  We will now hear how this part is better and my part is lighter and your part is uglier.  It will continue for quite awhile.

The thing about PCC's is that there are hundreds of products out there, with varying levels of effectiveness, and thousands of combinations.

That is the fun part.  There is no ONE way to do it. Something that might work for me, may not work well for you at all.

The post should be entertaining anyway :)

You're right. There are lots of ways to put together a PCC. What I offer is a list of parts that will guarantee a new shooter, who is interested in putting together his own gun, a way to do it that will provide him with one that is reliable and competitive.  

Just now, MikieM said:

I will if you can prove that they work. 

Prove is a funny thing. You have guaranteed certain parts will work.

I've owned the Kaw Valley and Faxon barrels. None of them would take coated bullets at a reasonable OAL. Neither are particularly well suited for feeding from mags with big extensions. I've had the Kaw Valley and Faxon bolts. Faxon was fine, Kaw Valley had no extractor tension and a loose "gas key" within a couple weeks of shooting. 

You can't prove that parts list will work for everyone. I've had it, tried it, and moved on. There are parts that have been recently designed for our sport that represent a functional improvement over prior configurations.

I don't have a problem with you stating what you like. This is an open forum and we all get to share our opinions. But if you are going to guarantee to new guys this setup will work will you be refunding them when it doesn't?

What you have said could easily be picked apart, but arguing is not what this thread is about. The parts on this list have been proven beyond doubt. Not only by myself, but by others.
Man, it must be nice to have poop that doesn't stink!

Nothing in PCC is beyond doubt.

There are different tolerances for each part provider. To "guarantee" that a gun built from your list will work and will win is not realistic.

PCC's can be finicky, nothing about them is guaranteed.

Nothing in PCC is beyond doubt.
There are different tolerances for each part provider. To "guarantee" that a gun built from your list will work and will win is not realistic.
Agree

The "guarantee" doesn't address the occasion mishap. Breaking a firing pin, say. But, a gun built from this list will function as well, or better, than any other.

Furthermore, I don't find PCCs finicky at all as long as they are properly assembled and fed good ammo. Many here will tell you they have thousands of rounds on their guns without failure.

Edited by MikieM
5 minutes ago, Startingover said:

Great list, thanks.

I have done a lot of reading, aND asked lots of questions in preparation for my build.

The only thing that I was sure of that wasn't on your list is the Elftman AR9 trigger 

Thanks, Startingover. 

I've never used an Elftman, but I did recently read about their new trigger that is available for the AR9 build. Very impressive. I say go for it. 

2 hours ago, Bigsampson said:

Some PCC's can be finicky but so far mine has not. My main match PCC is also my first PCC so I've kept good records.

At around 2000 rds l the gun began to double.  Turns out a chunk of crap got wedged under the sear assemby and would not flush out with my usual cleaning substance, brake fluid.  It was discovered when I did a complete tear down of the lower.

At around 6000 rds during routine maintenance I found the gas key bolts had worked loose.  Replaced and restaked the bolts.

At just under 10,000 rds I had feeding problems but only with one extra-high cap magazine.  Never really figured out the problem but it was solved with a Taccom 9mm feed ramp.

No earth shaking repairs have been needed.

When I started shooting PCC in competition a year ago I bought up a bunch of spare parts.  If they are not still in the original wrapper its because they found their way into builds for additional guns.

Rather than finicky, compared to my 3 gun carbine or my open pistols it has been super reliable.  

Edited by Flatland Shooter