Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stepped Cases

turbopower18

Getting into the 9Major game. I know of the 3 headstamps that do stepped cases. Are there anymore lurking in the mist out there to watch out for? Are there any nickel plated cases that are stepped? Researching options.

Thanks for any advice

Never heard of IMI (that's Israeli) using stepped brass.  You're probably confusing them with IMT.

As for MaxxTech, some of theirs appears to be nickel plated steel.

20 minutes ago, njl said:

Never heard of IMI (that's Israeli) using stepped brass.  You're probably confusing them with IMT.

As for MaxxTech, some of theirs appears to be nickel plated steel.

You're probably right.  I knew it was IM...something.

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Just turn the cases up, like the picture above...  Then you can see the step regardless of headstamp...  Unless you are also sorting by headstamp.

I load everything, put them in ammo boxes, run my finger over headstamps, then shoot the stepped ammo in practice.

20 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I load everything, put them in ammo boxes, run my finger over headstamps, then shoot the stepped ammo in practice.

Last time my daughter shot a stepped case.  She got this stuck in her barrel.

case malfunction (2).jpg

8 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

What about the cases that have that small dotted ring around the outside about halfway down? The brass isn’t stepped but is that something to worry about, especially for a 9 major load?

I load that just fine. Repeatedly. But it’s not all that common so you can scrap what little shows up if it worries you.

2 hours ago, stick said:

Last time my daughter shot a stepped case.  She got this stuck in her barrel.

case malfunction (2).jpg

Drop a bore snake down the muzzle and the brass ring pulls right out.  And really, there's only one gun in my collection which has seen a stepped case separate, the rest have shot them 100%

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Drop a bore snake down the muzzle and the brass ring pulls right out.  And really, there's only one gun in my collection which has seen a stepped case separate, the rest have shot them 100%

I primarily shoot PCC which is known to separate the stepped brass rather easily.

18 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

You must not be using a 1050...  The swage rod jams on the stepped cases and stops the reloading process...  Better to remove them before you start reloading...

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

You must not be using a 1050...  The swage rod jams on the stepped cases and stops the reloading process...  Better to remove them before you start reloading...

No.  XL650

Stepped cases are pure evil.  Shooting major I have had several case head separations before I was able to determine the cause.  Another hidden evil is brass plated steel cases.  Now using a magnet as part of my sorting routine.  So far I have not found any stepped cases that are nickel plated.

1 hour ago, SilverBolt said:

Stepped cases are pure evil.  Shooting major I have had several case head separations before I was able to determine the cause.  Another hidden evil is brass plated steel cases.  Now using a magnet as part of my sorting routine.  So far I have not found any stepped cases that are nickel plated.

Who ever had that brain fart should be chastised daily- brass plated steel....bad bad idea ?

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Keithwhite100 said:

That would be the US Army that created some sort of dumb standard to reduce smoke.  

Can you expand on this?  I've never heard reference to the small primer 45's relating to the military.  Those that I'm familiar with relates to lead free priming.

Thanks.