Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite shotgun for little money

lfine

Federal low recoil 00B or slugs with Truflite wad.  Extremely accurate.  Shotgun would be what you are most comfortable with.  I like an 870/1100/1187/Benelli M1 Super 90.   

Edited by 21 shooter

Would depend on your situation :   for crowded living, I'd keep it to large birdshot to

prevent overpenetration (maybe a 4-5 shot).

Kel-Tec has a GREAT self-defense shotgun that holds 15 rounds in two mags - you

can keep birdshot in one mag and buckshot in the 2nd mag, and go back and forth

selectively.

I thought this for a while and ended up deciding that for  me a pistol seems a much better option.  but if I was using a shotgun I would get a 22 inch model with a full length tube,  either a Winchester or a Mossberg 590, and probably use single 0 or #4 buck, 000 would be ok too

My real life answer:  the cheapest short barreled pump that works.  In my case it’s  a Winchester 1300 Defender that I bought for $150 over 20 years ago.  Why?  Because if you use it, it’s going to get confiscated by law enforcement, and it’s likely to never be seen again, even if you’re 100% in the right.  So even though a $2400 super tricked out  Benelli would be the theoretical choice, my $150! Defender will handle the 1 or 2 loads of 00 buck just fine, and I won’t miss it when it’s gone.  If I’m buying jow, probably a police refurb 870, as I’ve seen them for pretty cheap.  

Edited by jkrispies

Just so this thread doesn't go off into the weeds, I'm going to remind everyone about this part of the forum guidelines:

Intent
This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

I use #4 Buck because our house is such that I probably wouldn't be sweeping occupied rooms. The most likely scenario is that I'm firing down a hall or from the door and I want stopping power. 

I started with Remington 870s but then got into 3Gun and semi-autos... so when I built up a beautiful 870 with all the cool furniture and details I thought exactly that, this is the home defense sacrificial gun. But in training I found that didn't pump it as well, I short stroked a few times, and frankly the 870 will never feel as good as an Italian shotgun. So now I have a Beretta 1301 Tactical (18", flush tube) with light for HD only because it matches my 3G configuration, just shorter. 

1 hour ago, Frankly said:

I started with Remington 870s but then got into 3Gun and semi-autos... so when I built up a beautiful 870 with all the cool furniture and details I thought exactly that, this is the home defense sacrificial gun. But in training I found that didn't pump it as well, I short stroked a few times, and frankly the 870 will never feel as good as an Italian shotgun. So now I have a Beretta 1301 Tactical (18", flush tube) with light for HD only because it matches my 3G configuration, just shorter. 

Yeah, I agree, I don’t like pumps as a rule because when they have the short stroke jam from hell, you’re done.  If I had plenty of funds, my HD gun would be my PCC Irons competition gun with a flashlight and RMR on a 1/3rd cowitness mount.... which IS my Apocalypse setup, but short of that knid of anything goes scenario, I’m not going to sacrifice my favorite competition gun for some random meth head who picks the wrong house to break into. 

I’m Not just saying this for the sake of forum rules, but in a SHTF scenario, my competition guns (PCC and TTI G17) are absolutely my go to firearms because I know that they are 100% reliable through thousands of rounds. I don’t know why anybody on this forum would feel differently about their guns unless all you have is an open pistol built so tight it won’t function if the mag gets dropped in the dust or it isn’t cleaned after 150 rounds.  To me, though, an “HD” specific gun is in a different category. 

One of the reasons I posted my first comment (knowing the forum rules on too-HD-ish posts) is that I don’t want to see anybody not thinking this through and sacrificing their beloved $4000 race gun when a $200 clunker can get the job done just as well.  

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 weeks later...

Depends entirely on intended use.  If strictly looking for a home defense gun probably an 870P or 590A1.  If you think you will get into competitive shooting some...I'd step up to the Franchi Infinity.  I think the Franchi provides a good price/quality value.  Stoeger's can be bought for less...but their quality is lacking as well.  If you have the money get the M2 field...buy once cry once.

Retired my very old 870 (1970's vintage) from the bedroom to the gun safe a few months back.  Replaced it with a Mossberg Shockwave.  Takes a bit of practice to get used to but fun to shoot.  Not really for "all around use".  Got a variety of other toys for that.

Holds 9 rds of mini 12 gauge buckshot.

Gun doesn’t matter, buy some Federal copperplated 1 buck 3” shells. If your gun wont run these rounds then find a new gun. I’d run a full choke for a truck gun but a skeet inside.... if you have to shoot it then you’d better call Servpro.

Edited by 3gunDQ

• 1 month later...

I recently sold off a Benelli SBE2 and picked up a Franchi affinity. I only have 200 shells through it, but if you blindfolded me and told me to pick out the benelli based off of how it shoots I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I still can't believe I picked up this thing for 500 bucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In light of the new version of the original question, no doubt to me that my $500 Franchi Affinity is a tremendous bargain for a quality shotgun. 

Of course I spent more than it cost doing 3Gun mods but it's easy enough to swap back to a shorter tube for hunting, etc. 

One the absolute cheap side just get a $200 used 1980s-1990s Remington 870 with a shorter barrel. I wouldn't want a newer manufactured one, they rust in the box. It's a case where the Chinese clone is better quality.  

And not to push any rules but a good dog is 75% of home defense ? 

Edited by Frankly

7 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Not sure if I said It earlier but if I were starting fresh I’d get a police trade in 870 with an extended tube and call it a day.  Oh yeah, and a dog. ?

Can't say enough about my Mossberg 590A1...

Totally agree, an early model 870. I heard recent 870s are so-so quality since Remington has money issues.

I put together a Stoeger P3000 28" pump gun for a Heavy Metal shotgun, largely because my tactical shotgun is an M3K so the controls are as similar as could be and shoulders identically.

It has the slickest new pump action i've tried and i couldnt get comfy with the feel of a Benelli Nova, plus they're related internally.  I've seen the 18" defense version for just $200