Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock to Shadow 2?

OdinIII

I’ve owned Glock’s for well over a decade and have recently started shooting USPSA production with a G34 and mostly carry gear with a CompTac paddle holster. I’m doing well for my experience level but need a proper rig and sights to replace the stock plastic parts. I plan to shoot 2 matches per month.

Should I go ahead and switch to an S2 before I invest in sights and a holster for my G34? I understand that I’m the weak link at this point but most people in my area are using the steel guns and I’m assuming that is for good reason.

I’d say the only issues I can name for the Glock is that it doesn’t point naturally for me but I don’t notice it during live fire. Also, I hang up on reloads more than I should. I wonder if the CZ has as many little edges to stick on?

I’m over 40 and need reading glasses but shoot uncorrected with no issues. I wonder if I’ll struggle with the shorter sight radius of the Shadow 2?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Having gone from a 34 to M&P to a heavy steel Tanfoglio... and now back to a polymer Walther Q5?

The gun honestly doesn’t matter much. There is always some give and take: a 44oz gun is stable and sinfully easy to assault a 20 yard plate rack with in comparison to a 24oz gun.

Polymer guns transition at absolute warp speed up close when you’re hosing a 5 yard array, whereas the steel ones need more muscle.

To shoot well you need to grip either gun veryagressively, it’s just more obvious with a lighter gun when you’re slacking off.

You won’t notice the difference in sight radius.

Pick the gun you truly love and will practice hard with. Because things like reloads? Hate to break it to you but a 34 is as easy to reload with as anything else out there. Many other guns are worse and have tiny mag openings, sure. But the 34 is as fast it gets in Production - you’re lacking in skill. Not gear. Dryfire time.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Pick a gun that you like and never ever ever,.....ever hold or shoot a different gun.  Then practice.  

If you like one better than the other, choose that one. 

Like Memphis says above, the gun isn't going to hold you back. Though, you gotta choose one. Everyone is going to be different so, nobody can tell you that one will be better for you than another. At least not for most guns. I have to say that because someone will come along and say that gear does matter because nobody wins with a hi-point. Ha ha. Or a M&P.  Ha ha. Those suck. See....... What I'm talking about. 

I've shot both a G34 and a Shadow 2.  I personally think either will do the trick. I do like one better than the other but that's my taste. I will say that I beileve the reason for most folks shooting the heavy guns is due to it just being the new hotness. Not staying the Glock is better or worse. I just think the heavy steel DA/SA guns are the new thing. Give it 5 yrs and everyone will be shooting the plastic guns again. At least in production. 

Seriously, pick one and shoot it. If or when you make M or GM, then you can revisit looking for a different gun. Until then, practice!

Though, I would agree you should get good sights and holster/mag pouches/belt. 

Edited by B_RAD

I recently made a similar switch from a springfield xdm to a tanfoglio stock 2.

At the end of the day pick whichever one you like and will motivate you to practice. My switch did not instantly make me a better shooter but rather took me a step back. It's taken me 2 months just to get back to the performance level that I had with the old gun.

For me switching platforms exposed some bad habits that I developed and it was frustrating seeing my performance dip. But it motivated me to actually start practicing and digging in and work towards rebuilding my fundamentals correctly this time.

Like the others said the gear isn't holding you back. Pick what you like and then practice practice practice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yep, expect a month or two of confusion and doubt when you switch. I to went from a G34 to CZ's a few years ago. The gun is heaver, the trigger is different, working on it takes more knowledge and stuff seems to just cost more. Buttttt........ I shoot it better than I do my 34. They each have their respective plusses and minuses but for me, a steel da/sa gun seems to work best right now.

But come May, I can see how a Q5 match with a then allowable trigger would be pretty dang neat.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:54 AM, B_RAD said:

I will say that I beileve the reason for most folks shooting the heavy guns is due to it just being the new hotness.

I have shot the M&P, G34 and now Shadow 2.  All are great choices.  Have to say I got the S2 partly because of the hype, it's a great gun, but so are the others.  I am going to make the S2 my USPSA production gun this year.. but I still come back to my M&P with Apex internals.  All good, but the shooting fundamentals will make the biggest difference no matter the gun 

20 hours ago, CHARLES D said:

I shot a G34  today with a tungsten guide rod at a local USPSA match. Couldn't believe the difference it made in keeping the sights on target. 

Charles what load are you shooting and what pound recoil spring are you using? Thanks

Wasn't my gun. One of the shooters just installed it the night befofe. He used a Jentra tungsten guide rod. It used a 16 lb wolf spring. Thought the spring might be to heavy but it can like a charm. They make 2 different lengths. He used the full length rod for the 34.

www.jentraplug.com

951-817-1025

Interesting! I was reading about guide rods, springs and base plates this weekend. I guess at some point you can add too much weight? I think I’ll have 4 ounces to play with in a few months.

Does anyone know if an equivalent weight at the end of the mag or the guide rod is more advantageous for recoil management?

3 hours ago, OdinIII said:

Interesting! I was reading about guide rods, springs and base plates this weekend. I guess at some point you can add too much weight? I think I’ll have 4 ounces to play with in a few months.

Does anyone know if an equivalent weight at the end of the mag or the guide rod is more advantageous for recoil management?

This is just my opinion.

Don't sweat it too much. I'd replace the stock plastic guide rod with a steel one and the recoil spring of your choice. Then just practice and not worry about chasing the ulitmate set up for recoil reduction.  

For me it'd be a Jager guide rod and a 11lb wolf spring. Just because it's simple and works.  

I'll admit I've never shot a tungsten guide rod but I doubt it really matters. 

To answer your question about wieght distribution, I'd say adding weight at the end near the muzzle is better to minimize recoil rise but think about transitions, that same added wieght could affect you stopping the gun while transitoning.  People say heavier guns or slower to tranistion. I'd think they just require more effort but can be transitioned just as fast. But also require more effort to stop. I also don't worry too much about wieght. Which is great because I waste too much time fretting about other stuff! The correct grip is going to be the best thing you can do for recoil management. And it's free!

For me it's a constant battle to resist the urge to tinker. So, I get it.  I wasted so much time last year on switching guns, and modifiying. No doubt the time wasted kept me from making GM!  Not to mention my overall skill level would be better too!  

XYZ mod may help minimize a small issue but usually the results aren't worth the time, money and effort. Especially, when you could have spent that time practicing and that money on ammo!  

Send an email or FB message to any of the top shooters. Ask them about their grear. You'll be amazed at just how un gadgeted their set up is!

Edited by B_RAD

Also, I'd caution you to be careful of people's advice. Mine included. Everyone precives recoil differently. So, whatever they think is soft, or whatever combination of doohickeys they swear by, may work the same for you.

Not to mention, some people would say (probably better than I'm saying now) that amount a gun recoils doesn't matter as much as how the gun cycles and returns to the same spot. 

The feeling of soft is nice but more snap with the same retun might be better for competition. 

Edited by B_RAD

Thanks B_RAD, sounds like solid advice. Come to think of it, I’ve been trying to decide on which spring kit and whether to buy a striker or not with full knowledge that I don’t have any issues with the factory trigger.

1 hour ago, OdinIII said:

Thanks B_RAD, sounds like solid advice. Come to think of it, I’ve been trying to decide on which spring kit and whether to buy a striker or not with full knowledge that I don’t have any issues with the factory trigger.

I have a Vannek GM trigger kit. It's nice. It was like $240. I also have a stock trigger bar, a lone wolf connector, wolff completion spring pack. Cost me $30-$40 and while not quite as nice, it's good enough.  Never once have I thought the Vannek was the reason for me doing poorly or doing great on a stage. To be honest it's kinda difficult to even tell the difference between the two. I can but it's hard. 

Glocks are just like anything else, they have differences in tolerances. One trigger kit may feel differently in two different guns. 

A different connector and a wolff comp spring pack is cheap so, it's not a waste of money if you don't feel it didn't help.  

I meant to mention earlier that I do replace base pads. Three reasons why I do.

1. Easier to take in and off for cleaning.

2. Weight. To help fall out of the gun. Not to dampen recoil. 

3. More durable than most stock base pads. 

I like shock bottle because they're easy and aren't too big. Some have what I consider wierd profiles and they make for an awkward grip. But like everything else,  you can used to just about anything. 

Edited by B_RAD

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, B_RAD said:

Everyone precives recoil differently.

This, I shoot a 34 with 147gr coated lead and a 13# recoil spring, to me it feel soft(133PF). A friend shoot a 34 with the stock set up and factory 115 win white box and feels it is much softer then 147s, everyone is different. The nice thing with glock is the cost to tinker is not to high. Look at Redhill or bladetech for holsters, I've been running the ghost mag pouches and been happy, and the price is low.

I went from an M&P Performance Center 9L to a shadow 2.

Love the S2 I shoot great with it.

fast forward a month, I had my gunsmith drop in the apex forward set trigger sear set/polish all internals)

grabbed a KKM non ported barrel and put my JPoint mini red dot on it.

I'm shooting it almost as well as my shadow 2 now.

Practice Practice Practice.

I have more trouble going from Iron sights to Red dot and back than I do switching guns LOL!

it seems to always take me about 20 rounds or so to "re adjust" my vision (I'm getting up there)

My two complaints going from a Glock to a Shadow 2 are:

1. Slippery metal mags. I was surprised how used to Glock magazine texture I was.

2. Lack of Trijicon HD’s was hard to get used to after years of using them. Small complaint.

Otherwise it’s a huge upgrade for a production shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practice Practice Practice.

Practice does seem to be the key to success. I decided to stick with the Glock for at least this season. I shot a match today and it looks like I’m going to start out at the high C/low B level after a few more classifiers.

I used my old carry style gear today but have the parts ready to assemble a proper setup for the next match. A generous member of this board sent me a Blade Tech holster body. I ordered a belt, hanger, and mag pouches to compete the rig. I also bought some DP sights to finally get rid of the factory pieces and a few commonly recommended springs. I’m excited about the next match with my new equipment.

I went from Glock to a shadow 2 and I'm loving it. The single action trigger is amazing right out of the box DA is smooth. I haven't shot it in competition yet but just with dry fire you do have to be a man about driving the gun. I'll give you more opinion after I shoot it in competition. But as others have said practice is key.

I switched from a Glock to a heavy CZ TS in Limited division.  The real difference there was the trigger making faster splits possible, and the weight helping a little bit with recoil. And the CZ wasn't in danger of blowing up in my hand, or constant malfunctions. I also recently put together a  production pistol from a CZ Sp01 clone. It is heavy, has a great trigger.  But, now I think a plastic gun is ideal for production, especially with the new rules allowing the aftermarket triggers. In hindsight, I would have waited for the full size CZ P10 to be released, or bought an M&P 2.0 and put a trigger in it.  If I wasn't mainly a Limited shooter with a CZ, I'd have a glock for production, but mixing grip angles is no bueno for me.  

Weight is nice for recoil reduction, but with a proper grip there is almost no recoil with minor PF.  Triggers are very important.  Faster transitions from lighter weight are way more valuable than split times.  I honestly think the reign of DA/SA guns in production right now has a lot to do with wanting to race a fancier gun, and with following trends of some of the top shooters.  Bottom line is, shoot what you like.  But that Shadow 2 is going to be super hard to get used to compared to your Glock, and you will lose time on that transition.  And when you get to a certain level of skill, you might admit that the transition was a setback and that the Glock wasn't holding you back.     

• 11 months later...

I know im kind of necroing this thread but im in a weird position.

I have a CZ P10C as a production rig (night sights fyi). I have some ergonomic annoyances with this gun because I want a bigger grip and the beaver tail rubs my thumb knuckle. 

Ive shot a handful of matches and somewhat like production but im curious about CO. Reason being is that I repeatedly have trouble establishing front sight focus with these particular irons and irons in general. My Index isnt terrible and my dryfire is mostly consistent. I realize that a fiber sight could help quite a bit however im wondering if completely switching to carry optics is a better move.

My heart says I still want the Shadow 2, but im seriously considering cancelling the build (not on the smith table yet) taking the 10% hit and building out a Gen 5 34 CO setup. Getting the S2 Milled for CO is out of my budget. (~$2300 + optic)

I also have an alternatives, I could just take the shadow and roll with it to see if my sighting gets better, then buy an optic dovetail plate for my P10c to test the waters, but then I would be "stuck" with the Shadow. 

Advice?

Edit: One thing to note, Im thin, tall and lanky with long fingers and not a ton of upper body strength. Transitions with my P10 are fast and easy to move to the next target, It just takes me a while to verify my "acceptable sight picture". I loaded my P10 up to 17 and ziptied a weight to the slide to make it 45oz and it was much more cumbersome for me to move around confidently. Makes me wonder if im making a wrong move to begin with and just trying to be in the heavy steel gun crowd.

Edited by nick779