Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Franchi Affinity + Parts vs Used Benelli

SlvrDragon50

Just spoke to MOA and can have it shipped directly to save a bit! I haven't placed the order yet though as I was hoping to get a confirmation that the item number is correct. The price is absolutely insane on the deal (MOA said it's below dealer cost). I don't wanna end up buying a $500 shotgun that I can't use!

This is good to know for the future. I thought it wouldn’t be possible to do that and save the shipping cost. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably gonna get this Competition Package which I assume will fit the Franchi. Is there anything else I should ask MOA to do? I imagine I can install the Hi-VIZ front sight myself.

http://moaprecision.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=m3k-cmp&cat=4&page=1&search=&since=0&status=&title=

Competition upgrades to your purchased firearm including: 
The standard M3000 package 
Port mods 
Trigger group adjustment 
oversize Right hand safety, 
bolt release, 
charging handle 
polished mag tube 
your choice of extension tube 
polished extractor opening 
low drag follower 
Undercut Trigger Guard 
$355 
Plus return shipping varies

Some sort of QD sling attachments are nice. 

So is a nicer Gel recoil pad. Grinding one to fit is a pain if you aren’t set up to do it.

And stippling. Not difficult to do but difficult to do nicely the very first time.

Are you comfortable drilling into your rib to mount the sight? I’d get it crooked ;-p

Edited by Frankly

35 minutes ago, Frankly said:

Some sort of QD sling attachments are nice. 

So is a nicer Gel recoil pad. Grinding one to fit is a pain if you aren’t set up to do it.

And stippling. Not difficult to do but difficult to do nicely the very first time.

Are you comfortable drilling into your rib to mount the sight? I’d get it crooked ;-p

Ahh, I thought that the front sight was already threaded!

Is the stippling not good enough stock? Might have to ask MOA about all this stuff.

13 minutes ago, Mercs said:

Never mind I figured it out. On another note, has anyone ever seen this Toni System rib before? This is just too cool looking for someone not to have ordered one lol

http://www.tonisystem.it/US/kit-franchi-affinity-.html

Wow, that rib is friggin awesome. I like that bolt release too. I iamgine no benefit upgrading the rib though?

Edited by SlvrDragon50

Wow, that rib is friggin awesome. I like that safety too. I iamgine no benefit upgrading the rib though?

I can’t think of one benefit, but wow just look at it!

Also check out the muzzle brake they offer. That’s new to me

51 minutes ago, Mercs said:

I can’t think of one benefit, but wow just look at it!

Also check out the muzzle brake they offer. That’s new to me

Yea, their setup looks real neat, but not allowed for tac irons! The prices are a lil steep too.

I think I'm going to get a Limbsaver Airtech Recoil Pad for my Franchi as well. Heard it has a plastic pad which is pretty rough.

Yea, their setup looks real neat, but not allowed for tac irons! The prices are a lil steep too.  

I think I'm going to get a Limbsaver Airtech Recoil Pad for my Franchi as well. Heard it has a plastic pad which is pretty rough.

Definitely want to replace that factory pad. What size mag tube extension you thinking about? I think +7 is about even with the 26” barrel. I think I’ve seen them run with +8

1 minute ago, Mercs said:

Definitely want to replace that factory pad. What size mag tube extension you thinking about? I think +7 is about even with the 26” barrel,
but I’ve seen them run with +8

I'm going with whatever gets me to 10+1. I don't know what extension that is, but it'll run flush with the 26" barrel haha. I might also get the +2 endcap extension if I ever want to run 12+1.

kilyung, could you post up your c rums port? Would love to see it

Jeff opened up my loading port but wasn’t aggressive about it. Always easier to take off metal than put it back on. The cut is milled then hand finished. Looks very nice and precise. I’ll run it and see how it feels before deciding if I want to take more off. Once I’m 100% sure, I’ll have the receiver ceracoted. Loading is already easier on the Franchi because the low profile handguard flows right into the receiver. Lots of folks will shave down the rear of the M2 handguard to aid in follow through. No need with the Franchi. However that slimness (and Inertia system underneath) does make mounting a Match Saver more difficult. I’m probably going to rivet mine to the handguard and not mess with screws.

Jeff’s welded lifter service is very well done also. You can’t see the welds so it looks stock. Makes a huge difference.

af10e33bf3b84ce1bb747b474741bc0c.jpg

3abef9ce97c51ba279d4bfb4a26144d4.jpg

Does the A&S trigger guard really make that big of a difference? I haven't really seen any mention of replacing the trigger guard (on any gun) until this thread.

For me, cutting in a feed ramp into the trigger guard makes a very big difference in the ease of loading. The A&S trigger guard also has the benefit of consistency. I love that it’s metal so I can rest assured that the component parts will stay in precisely the same position relative to each other.

While I have no doubt the polymer guard works fine, I saw a video (by Fred at A&S) demonstrating that trigger guards can have manufacturing tolerance differences. It’s one of the reasons Briley recommends using this trigger guard if you get their trigger upgrade.

There’s nothing wrong with the polymer guard. In fact, I like how the hump gives me a steeper loading angle. The A&S feedramp is DEEP and WIDE. You can see it in my A&S guard vs my modded polymer trigger guard (a 3/4” dowel and some sandpaper) pictures. I plan to use my polymer trigger guard as my spare trigger group.

The only downside (and it’s a stretch) is that both polymer and A&S trigger guards were made with the stock safety in mind. My TT safeties will catch on a small cosmetic lip, preventing it from depressing all the way. However even if blocked, the safety always functions properly. I sanded the lip off my polymer guard so it’s not an issue and the A&S guard’s lip is so small that I can live with it.

316137e294de8d8b53a1c94d6b79c451.jpg

1760952b4384d6a38e7743488b139aa5.jpg

915f20cb55549abf1407eaafd1ccbb78.jpg

No prob, here ya go. Best deal I’ve seen on one of these in awhile. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/762697249

Hard to tell from the auction’s picture but it appears to be an Affinity and not the updated Affinity 3/3.5? Not that it makes a difference. As far as I can tell, the only difference is a minor change to the magazine tube (no longer needs to be polished), oversized handle and catch. When you add in the Compact stock (which I had to order for $80), that’s a screaming deal.

Can someone tell me what is the best oversized safety for the Affinity, and where I can buy it?

Any Benelli M2 safety will work but there’s a small cosmetic lip on the trigger guard that sometimes prevents oversized safeties from completely seating depending on the shape/orientation of the safety button. However, my TTI safety has worked perfectly even if rotated 45* so a corner hits the lip. An oversized round safety would be even better.

Never mind I figured it out. On another note, has anyone ever seen this Toni System rib before? This is just too cool looking for someone not to have ordered one lolhttp://www.tonisystem.it/US/kit-franchi-affinity-.html

I’m not sure it would survive 3 Gun matches where shotguns are thrown (“placed”) in barrels. Probably better suited for O/U shotguns (of which the better models usually come with such ribs).

Any Benelli M2 safety will work but there’s a small cosmetic lip on the trigger guard that sometimes prevents oversized safeties from being seated completely depending on the shape/orientation of the safety button. However, my TTI safety has worked perfectly even if rotated 45* so a corner hits the lip. An oversized round safety would be even better.

I have ordered the TTI, I looked but couldn’t find any round ones to use

6 hours ago, kilyung said:

Hard to tell from the auction’s picture but it appears to be an Affinity and not the updated Affinity 3/3.5? Not that it makes a difference. As far as I can tell, the only difference is a minor change to the magazine tube (no longer needs to be polished), oversized handle and catch. When you add in the Compact stock (which I had to order for $80), that’s a screaming deal.

Gotcha. MOA polishes the mag tube no matter what so that's okay with me. And I'm replacing the handle and bolt release. Happy to pay less for things I'll be replacing anyways!

Those pictures are fantastic too. Does the trigger guard require fitting or can I do it myself? MOA will cut the trigger guard as part of the service as well so I can see how that works.

I'm replacing the handle and bolt release. Happy to pay less for things I'll be replacing anyways!

I’d do the same. In my case, I like the oversized handle and release that came with the Affinity 3. I’m keeping the stock handle on the gun and replaced the release with a GG&G release as my primary. The stock release (which is actually pretty good) goes in my spare kit.

Does the trigger guard require fitting or can I do it myself? MOA will cut the trigger guard as part of the service as well so I can see how that works.       

No fitting required. Just move all the parts over to the A&S guard and you’re good to go. You’ll have three extra parts as they eliminate/replace the carrier plunger washer and a couple of pins. Another reason I like the metal guard is that I like to detail strip my guns regularly and the metal guard will resist the wear of doing so frequently.  Frankly unless you’re doing the Briley trigger upgrade or will be detail stripping a lot, for the cost I’d just stick with the stock guard. It’ll work just fine for most people. I’ll be using stock trigger guard as a backup trigger pack.    

Have you considered a Knapp front sight? It's a stick on so it doesn't matter I'd your rib is already tapped or not. I've used one fore over a year now and have yet to knock it loose. Super bright and only visible when you mount the gun correctly. I'm a big fan. 

I milled down and tapped my Affinity for my Nordic easy bolt release button today. Quick and easy workc44dfef709b00ed23d4103cb913a1908.jpg

Installing the oversized safety also

Ahh, I thought that the front sight was already threaded!

Is the stippling not good enough stock? Might have to ask MOA about all this stuff.

The Affinity front sight is threaded. It’s a Benelli 2.5 x .45 thread 1ea4f6d0c66fb5e5ea7957d267bf7dc0.jpg

How about a new Benelli?  I saw a brand new Benelli M2 American on GB for 699 plus 20 shipping.  Granted it was in camo and 26" barrel...but I still think that is one heck of a deal.  No ComforTech stock...but can put a Sims recoil pad on for another $30.  I'm thinking about one just as a pure hunting gun.